Waverley West, Princes St Gardens and Haymarket MPD

Waverley West

Its a long time since I last had a visit to Haymarket shed and my experiences of this range from 'Book Law' standing in front of the shed in the early '60s through I believe the first 47to visit..D1501..to 55017 starting its engines with the usual display of smoke inside the shed on a snowy December with 2 weeks to go before withdrawal.

On that occasion I stood inside the shed warming myself in front of an 'Andrews heat for Hire' blower..roasting ass and freezing feet and soaking in what was all about to change.

Deltic 55017 with a 27 and 40 for company.

As said rewarded by the Deltic starting its engines and filling the shed with exhaust..still have the slides. 

Also have a great night shot of 'Crepello' sitting out front waiting to go down to Waverley.

You capture the feel of the place superbly as does the west end of Waverley..another stunning layout in its own right.

Your modelling certainly awakens the memories ..what its all about.

Great stuff

Dave 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

post-7247-0-76786500-1452795647_thumb.jp

I know lens flare can be the photographer's nemesis when shooting into bright light (real or otherwise), but either by luck or design you manage to get a bit of vague flare which gives the impression of diesel fumes - here you can imagine one of the locos ticking over on a cold, still night. One of the others I remember was of your Strathclyde 107 in the platform of WW and it looked exactly like the blue fug which would hang about the station, especially with DMUs around.

Accidental maybe, but more successful than trying to photoshop some not-very-convincing smoke in!

Also reinforces the importance of lighting to a layout - many can look 'realistic' but it takes good lighting (real or otherwise) to make a layout look 'real'.

All the best to you Dave after your recent worries, keep on keeping on!

• Like 5

Cheers, Jon!

The buffers are DCC Concepts (I got mine via Hattons). They are very delicate, so handle them very carefully! Well worth the effort of painting and installing them though.

Dave

I installed some of these and looked great right up to point when I caught my sleeve on them and reduced them to pile of plastic. So agree with point about being fragile even after installed. They're not cheap either so wasn't best pleased with myself and won't be replacing until more of scenery complete and less need to lean across layout... M

Dave, after seeing your superb admin buildings it got me thinking that they reminded me of somewhere else. This got me racking my brains trying to remember where I had seen them.

I think that I might have found it, Finsbury Park:

13157566085_70f9c4b1c7.jpgFinsbury Park depot. [A881B-016(HR)] by Jamerail, on Flickr

Loving the Large Logo on shed!

Cheers Alex. I guess they must have been built at around the same time?

Dave

Dave when I saw the first two pictures my immediate thought was that they were of the real depot especially the driver in the hst in the second photo

Exactly what I thought.

The sunlight on that HST is spot on, your photos and modelling really are inspirational.

Atb

Nik

Cheers guys. Much appreciated!

Forgot this one...

As the evening light fades in the west, there's some rain in the air which gets onto the camera lens...

post-7247-0-06583600-1453581101_thumb.jpg

(Well, alright then, I need to clean the inside of my camera).  :scratchhead:

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 17

You take a good photo and can manipulate the images so they actually look like photo's taken in the 80's. I've noticed this in the "how realistic" thread. Folk tend to throw up an HD image of something from 1950 something and it dosn't look right even though it may be B/W and great modelling. It's all about evoking memories and what the actual photographs looked like after you got them back from the developers.

My old pictures taken with a 35mm Praktica in Scotland in the 80's look a lot like your models.

• Like 1