Waverley West, Princes St Gardens and Haymarket MPD

Waverley West

I thought it was real but I am looking on a small portable screen- and knowing your knack of making models look real, I wasn't 100% sure.

That track looks rather good. I bought individual chairs and sleepers to make my own track as I had this idea that real wooden sleepers looked the most realistic. However, with 100 feet to make, that has not proven to be the case. I would never have gone down the road of P4 if I had realised just how good it was possible to make OO look. You've got the skill with this alright.

EDIT: It's a toss up between the 26 and the 40 as to which is the most realistic... 26 I think. Just.

Thanks Derek. 

The background is real, yes.

And the CL track is RTR, thank goodness.

Edited by Derekstuart

What about taking the photo from a lower angle, like many of your other photos? It would give a sense of scale and weight to the EE4. You can hardly tell this is a model as it is- doing that might just make it impossible to tell.

Excellent working and just getting better.

I did try that, but with the 40 there's a bit of a gap under the nose for clearance and taking shots from a low angle emphasises this with the 40, as in the photo below. It is there on the real thing of course too, but to a lesser extent.

Generally though I always try and take shots that you'd take of the real thing and from the same angles.

post-7247-0-19723800-1424801709_thumb.jpg

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 12

I see your point. Oh well- we'll just have to wait for the photos of the Brush 4's then (no hints intended. None at all. I mean really no hint. Much!)

I did try that, but with the 40 there's a bit of a gap under the nose for clearance and taking shots from a low angle emphasises this with the 40, as in the photo below. It is there on the real thing of course too, but to a lesser extent.

Generally though I always try and take shots that you'd take of the real thing and from the same angles.

attachicon.gif40142 7.jpg

Hi Colin

I use a Canon EOS 500D usually with an 18-55mm lens and skylight filter. I sometimes use a 70-210mm telephoto if I have space (but that can't focus within 2.5m). Except for speed shots, I almost always use the aperture priority setting to maximise the field of depth, ideally f32. That can mean a long shutter speed, when I'll use a tripod. Panned speed shots are done using shutter priority mode with a shutter speed of around 1/20. There really isn't too much more to it than that.

I use PhotoShop but I'm not very good with it and the only things I do usually are cropping and altering the contrast and brightness, along with a bit of sharpening. I will sometimes try to change the colour balance if the photo was taken under artificial light but I am pretty hopeless at that.

Hope that helps!

Dave

I see your point. Oh well- we'll just have to wait for the photos of the Brush 4's then (no hints intended. None at all. I mean really no hint. Much!)

I've been pretty pleased with the results of my combined photo plank/bridge experiment, so you can expect more!*

I'm a great believer in using natural light wherever possible and being able to take locos and stock outside takes it to another level I think.

Edit: * and my Brush 4s are well up the list of locos I'd like to do!

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 1

Dave

I am working on a regular Waverley visitor, Inverness's (at the time) 47 674 WRVS. I have a photo taken years back (1989?) on the weekend of the Carstairs electrification going live (hmph) of this Brush 4 rescuing our 86 hauled train.

It would be great if it could be temporarily seconded to Haymarket TMD for a photo session when (if!) I ever finish the damned thing. Would that be possible do you think? I'd love to re-create the photo I have of it in EW.

EDIT: As 47 854 with West Coast Rail now, anyone know what the going rate is for a fully certified Brush 4? ;) That'd be the best way to recreate it in a photo 1:1.

Edited by Derekstuart

That track looks rather good. I bought individual chairs and sleepers to make my own track as I had this idea that real wooden sleepers looked the most realistic. However, with 100 feet to make, that has not proven to be the case. I would never have gone down the road of P4 if I had realised just how good it was possible to make OO look. You've got the skill with this alright.

While I obviously wish the 00 compromise had never come about, I have no real inclination to go down the P4 route, partly because it's taking me all my time to build Waverley West using standard Peco code 75 and partly because I quite like Peco track once it's been weathered anyway (which admittedly could simply be because I have got so used to it).

Having said that, I am aware that there are better alternatives out there and I'm always looking to get better as a modeller. That was why I thought I'd try the C+L track. It is definitely a big improvement over Peco for modelling bullhead rail and I'm very inclined to use it as standard for any future scenic track developments. But that will mean either building my own points, accepting the sleeper spacing differences with respect to Peco points or trying to find alternative point makes. I haven't thought too much about that yet though, as I have enough to get on with for now!

Cheers

Dave

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 2

Dave

I am working on a regular Waverley visitor, Inverness's (at the time) 47 674 WRVS. I have a photo taken years back (1989?) on the weekend of the Carstairs electrification going live (hmph) of this Brush 4 rescuing our 86 hauled train.

It would be great if it could be temporarily seconded to Haymarket TMD for a photo session when (if!) I ever finish the damned thing. Would that be possible do you think? I'd love to re-create the photo I have of it in EW.

Absolutely Derek!

• Like 1

Dave

When I came back to this hobby late last year, I was convinced by a couple of photos and conversations that P4 was the only way to go if you want realism. Waverley West (and a couple of other layouts) prove that is not the case.

I have an ambitious plan that I doubt will actually be achievable (35ft long, 100ft of track and about 35 points, including double/single slips, scissors and tandems) unless I use RTR track. EW is/was a mix of BH and FB rail and thus peco looks fine. The layout I had planned was always bh rail (until very recently) so I think it wouldn't work for me to use FB rail.

That said, you might already know but CL is looking at producing RTR points in the near future. Whether they would have the same spacing as peco, I could not say. All I DO know is that if I had seen WW earlier and thus known what was achievable with OO then I would have stayed with OO.

While I obviously wish the 00 compromise had never come about, I have no real inclination to go down the P4 route, partly because it's taking me all my time to build Waverley West using standard Peco code 75 and partly because I quite like Peco track once it's been weathered anyway (which admittedly could simply be because I have got so used to it).

Having said that, I am aware that there are better alternatives out there and I'm always looking to get better as a modeller. That was why I thought I'd try the C+L track. It is definitely a big improvement over Peco for modelling bullhead rail and I'm very inclined to use it as standard for any future scenic track developments. But that will mean either building my own points, accepting the sleeper spacing differences with respect to Peco points or trying to find alternative point makes. I haven't thought too much about that yet though, as I have enough to get on with for now!

Cheers

Dave

• Like 2

That said, you might already know but CL is looking at producing RTR points in the near future. Whether they would have the same spacing as peco, I could not say. All I DO know is that if I had seen WW earlier and thus known what was achievable with OO then I would have stayed with OO.

Thanks Derek, that's very kind.

I do remember hearing that CL is looking at RTR points and that's definitely something I'd be interested in for the future. To what extent I'd be prepared to replace my existing track, especially in the station area, is a decision for another day I think!

Edited by Waverley West

• RMweb Gold

I can so far recommend Marcway as an alternative too Dave. I have just commissioned them to produce the pointwork for part of my layout and the process was very good. I cant yet vouch for the finished item but their ready to lay pointwork in code 75 bullhead is very nice. http://www.marcway.net/point.php

I can so far recommend Marcway as an alternative too Dave. I have just commissioned them to produce the pointwork for part of my layout and the process was very good. I cant yet vouch for the finished item but their ready to lay pointwork in code 75 bullhead is very nice. http://www.marcway.net/point.php

Interesting Colin. Thanks.

Hi Dave,

Just wanted to thank for your help operating Newlands on Saturday with Helenn. You had some very nice stock, the superb 107 and the 24 were fantastic and looked very at home. Those photos you took and posted are excellent as well.

Hopefully see you again soon.

Very nice view of the 26 and 40 with the cumbrian countryside behind.

Mark

• Like 1

Hi Dave,

Just wanted to thank for your help operating Newlands on Saturday with Helenn. You had some very nice stock, the superb 107 and the 24 were fantastic and looked very at home. Those photos you took and posted are excellent as well.

Hopefully see you again soon.

Very nice view of the 26 and 40 with the cumbrian countryside behind.

Mark

Cheers Mark. We both had a great day, so thanks again for letting me have a play. I did think my stock fitted in well. Shame I was limited to a rucksack full!

See you soon.

Cheers

Dave

Hi again folks, 

Here are some quick shots of the now retired WW version of the Union of South Africa on my plank.

This one has now become a static exhibit and another one is in the works to replace it. Unfortunately, this is not proving to be the quick job I had hoped for, as even though it's a limited edition, Hornby have used an excessive amount of glue to stick on some poor quality, overlong nameplates. The springbok is considerably oversized too. Grrr! This has made removing them to replace them with some quality etched plates a tricky business in order to match up the finish. All very frustrating, time-consuming and unnecessary. On the plus side, the decoder socket has been moved to the tender, which will simplify sound insulation.

Incidentally, I think these are worth a click to enlarge them on the screen.

post-7247-0-12268700-1424861121_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-96571300-1424861360_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-91524100-1424860242_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-82423600-1424860378_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Dave

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 10