Waverley West, Princes St Gardens and Haymarket MPD

Waverley West

I've just joined RMweb and have sat up half the night reading this thread and looking at it again over breakfast. Amazing. It brings back so many memories.

In the 1980s I worked in Market Street and would spend many a lunch break wandering around Waverley or sitting in the Gardens overlooking Waverley West. You knew if a Deltic was in because you'd hear it before you saw it. I'm sure I remember double headed 25s on the Inverness trains. I'm sure there was also a permanently filthy shunter which still had a lion and wheel beneath the grime.

Earlier in I would guess 71 or 72 Saturday morning trainspotting with a platform ticket. Watching engine changes on trains coming in from Aberdeen when a Brush would be replaced by a Deltic in about 3 minutes, with a shunter (a bloke not a loco in this case) ducking between the buffers to couple and uncouple, in a very slick operation.

Earlier still I had a great Aunt who lived in a tenement flat in Roseburn with a view of Haymarket shed from the front room window.

Moving back to the 1980s in 1985/86 I worked on site on the final section of the Portobello bypass which involved moving the Leith South goods branch sideways. At the time it was used by coal trains generally hauled by low numbered 26s. I don't recalll snow ploughs. I do recall the Saturday afternoon that we were given possession and started swinging manhole rings across the track only to be alerted by some frantic hooting from a 26 and 20 loaded hoppers coming down the grade from the ECML and definitely not stopping. Fortunately we all got out the way.

Is there anywhere that you have posted your weathering techniques? You should be running a masterclass.

Bob

Thanks Bob. I have mentioned my weathering techniques at various times on this thread, but maybe I should take some pics of each stage the next time I do a loco (which is never far away!).

Cheers

Dave

Hi folks,

A lovely sunny end to the day today, so I nipped down to Waverley West for a quick modelling session finishing off the fence opposite the depot and tidying up the embankment. 

This was followed by a photo session...

47546 was in and I managed to get a few shots. I've fitted a new driver as I wasn't too happy with the realism of the previous one. I'm much happier with this one (a Bachmann businessman who's had a change of clothing, not to mention a change of career).

post-7247-0-38854600-1425887723_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-34367300-1425844000_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-29525500-1425843541_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-10235100-1425843654_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-02931100-1425843519_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-38599700-1425843620_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-48704200-1425845290_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Dave

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 19

Hi Lee,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you on this. 

My drivers are mainly unpainted ones from Preiser...

http://www.gaugemaster.com/item_details.asp?code=PR16335&style=main&strType=&Mcode=Preiser+16335

I sometimes also use Bachmann "businessmen" suitably repainted.

Cheers

Dave

Wonderful, I shall get me some of those! Thanks as always.

I've just joined RMweb and have sat up half the night reading this thread and looking at it again over breakfast. Amazing. It brings back so many memories.

In the 1980s I worked in Market Street and would spend many a lunch break wandering around Waverley or sitting in the Gardens overlooking Waverley West. You knew if a Deltic was in because you'd hear it before you saw it. I'm sure I remember double headed 25s on the Inverness trains. I'm sure there was also a permanently filthy shunter which still had a lion and wheel beneath the grime.

Earlier in I would guess 71 or 72 Saturday morning trainspotting with a platform ticket. Watching engine changes on trains coming in from Aberdeen when a Brush would be replaced by a Deltic in about 3 minutes, with a shunter (a bloke not a loco in this case) ducking between the buffers to couple and uncouple, in a very slick operation.

Earlier still I had a great Aunt who lived in a tenement flat in Roseburn with a view of Haymarket shed from the front room window.

Moving back to the 1980s in 1985/86 I worked on site on the final section of the Portobello bypass which involved moving the Leith South goods branch sideways. At the time it was used by coal trains generally hauled by low numbered 26s. I don't recalll snow ploughs. I do recall the Saturday afternoon that we were given possession and started swinging manhole rings across the track only to be alerted by some frantic hooting from a 26 and 20 loaded hoppers coming down the grade from the ECML and definitely not stopping. Fortunately we all got out the way.

Is there anywhere that you have posted your weathering techniques? You should be running a masterclass.

Bob

Lovely to know that WW brings back so many memories for you, Bob. Thank you for posting some of yours here. The reason I opted to model Waverley, Princes St and Haymarket was precisely to bring back my own memories of the place from that era. 

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

Hi folks, 

Just thought I'd post a couple of totally unnecessary zoom-ins of yesterday's pics.

Poor old Douglas Fir is still waiting...

post-7247-0-91198600-1425902692_thumb.jpg

A special edition close-up of this crow's eye view one for all the lovers of buses on bridges amongst you...

post-7247-0-21513100-1425902738_thumb.jpg

Cheers for now,

Dave

• Like 14

Large Logo Beast in action, great work Dave. Brush 4s did look good in that livery. I can just imagine the sound of her pulling away.....

I like the ScotRail BG, remember seeing one in a Liverpool Street to Harwich or Norwich service, quite a surprise!

The bridge is looking good, especially with the 26 passing over it.

Superb Pics Dave,

26004 sat in the sun looks so real. and the view under the bridge looks great. The subsidence could be due to the depot being packed with loco's. :O

You really have been busy the scenic section has come a long way, I really must pull my finger out and finish the extension on Llanbourne you may have just inspired me to get a move on.

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Peter. I have been busy finishing off the bridge and the embankment (including 3m of wire fencing!) recently. Putting the vegetation on the embankment was very enjoyable as it makes such a difference in just one evening. Finishing (or at least almost finishing it) has opened up that view of the depot which is nice too.

After a bit of tidying up across the layout generally, I will be starting to think about the depot buildings next 

Edited by Waverley West

Lovely shots Dave. There was always something special about the 47/7s, and boy did that livery suit them!

Looks like your visit to the depot was a successful one, a nice variety of traction on shed.

I really do like the shot taken looking towards the depot and under the bridge, that really is a cracker!

Not sure if I prefer HSTs in that Intercity or the swallow livery, both really suited them well.

Love the speed shots especially! I have been looking through the last few pages of this thread, and I have probably missed it, but it seems like the layout is outside, such is the quality of light you achieve. I really like the golden tints of the low sun. Impressive.

Love the speed shots especially! I have been looking through the last few pages of this thread, and I have probably missed it, but it seems like the layout is outside, such is the quality of light you achieve. I really like the golden tints of the low sun. Impressive.

Thanks. The layout is well and truly inside, but I had some extra Veluxes fitted and a window enlarged when I moved into the new railway room to improve the lighting. I'm very glad I did too. I'd have liked more but the roof wouldn't have taken it!

The shots taken on my photographic plank (like the two above for example) are taken outside though.

Thanks. The layout is well and truly inside, but I had some extra Veluxes fitted and a window enlarged when I moved into the new railway room to improve the lighting. I'm very glad I did too. I'd have liked more but the roof wouldn't have taken it!

The shots taken on my photographic plank (like the two above for example) are taken outside though.

That's a very good point you make about the extra roof lights and window really makes so much difference. Another thing to consider when I come to designing my layout space!

• RMweb Premium

Loved the 2 shots under the bridge towards the depot - the slightly 'wobbly' track on the left and the 'subsidence' under the HST are, to me, completely realistic.

Any shots of real railways, especially through a telephoto lens, show that 'perfect' track is often anything but!