Waverley West, Princes St Gardens and Haymarket MPD

Waverley West

Dave you need to photoshop the wheels and male the motion all blurry - smoke like that would mean she was running at full chat!

Looks great BTW - but you should snuggle the tender up closer for side on shots

Cheers Peter. Unfortunately, I'm not good enough with Photoshop to do that!

The cab doors are missing unfortunately, which emphasises the gap to the tender and I'm not sure the tender will go any closer. Bits have fallen off it over the years, which helps me to justify replacing it! 

• RMweb Gold

Dave,

Am I right in assuming that you take your plank outside for these shots?

If so, have you thought of about using a telephoto lens, (whilst standing at least 2.5m away!), to take these shots?

That way the lens will bring the background much closer to the subject giving it the illusion of being more ‘in scale’ with the locos.

Kev.

Dave,

Am I right in assuming that you take your plank outside for these shots?

If so, have you thought of about using a telephoto lens, (whilst standing at least 2.5m away!), to take these shots?

That way the lens will bring the background much closer to the subject giving it the illusion of being more ‘in scale’ with the locos.

Kev.

Definitely worth a try, Kev. Thanks for the suggestion!

Edit: yes, the plank was taken outside.

Edited by Waverley West

Am sure I used to see 26004 on coal trains down to Leith Docks in the 80s. May even have some pics

Mal

Sounds very likely Mal. It would be great if you could find them.

Dave

Edit: I'd particularly like to know if it ever carried snowploughs. It seems highly likely that it would have done at some point, but I've not managed to find a photo of it with ploughs fitted as yet.

Edited by Waverley West

Dave

Your 47 510 (p.72)- is that Heljan by chance? Sorry if somewhere in the past 74 pages that has already been explained.

I've bought some etches from SP/EE that don't seem right and I'm trying to work out which of the 47's they were designed for.

Thanks

Hi Derek,

I have both a stock of old A1 Models grilles and the SP/EE version. The SP/EE version is about 1mm narrower in diameter than the A1 Models version and I suspect it's been designed to fit one of the older models (probably the Lima version). You could maybe try contacting Brian at SP/EE and ask him whether he does a version for the Heljan model, although I couldn't see any roof grilles for a Heljan 47 mentioned on his website. He should be able to help you though (best to give him a ring as he's a busy man!). 

Hope that helps at least to some extent!

Dave

Dave

Edited by Waverley West

Hi Dave,

A great set of pics, I really like the class 40 and 26004.

I had a quick look on flickr and didn't see any of 004 with ploughs while in coal sector livery. Maybe your next 26/0 could have them. I think if you have ploughs on too many loco's it doesn't look right.

Have a look at your class 40 too Dave, It doesn't look like the body is right down on the chassis. I had the same problem with mine, and found it was a wire caught under the bulkhead.

Cheers Peter.

Sounds very likely Mal. It would be great if you could find them.

Dave

Edit: I'd particularly like to know if it ever carried snowploughs. It seems highly likely that it would have done at some point, but I've not managed to find a photo of it with ploughs fitted as yet.

Hi Dave

I seem to remember reading that the first seven "pilot scheme" class twenty sixes weren't fitted with snow plough brackets. I could be wrong though.

Stephen

• Like 1

Thanks Dave

Mis-understanding- due to my ill written post.

I was referring to the cab window frames (which I totally failed to mention!). I bought the etches from EE for the front and sides and they appeared to be of incompatible sizes. Each of the makes of 47 all have different interpretations of how the windows should appear.

I have just been told by someone who is clearly a bit of a clever chap on Brush 4's that the EE one is confirmed as 1:76.2 of the prototype rather than being made for any specific model. Now the question is of course whether it looks proportionately correct in relation to the remaining features.

I have been scouring the site for close ups of all the different makes. I have the Bachmann one (not my favourite) but was looking for pics of the Heljan and Vi. I knew you had several close ups so that I could see how each make interpreted the (surprisingly difficult) angles and curves of the front ends.

Oh how I wish I'd taken up the violin instead of trains...

Hi Derek,

I have both a stock of old A1 Models grilles and the SP/EE version. The SP/EE version is about 1mm narrower in diameter than the A1 Models version and I suspect it's been designed to fit one of the older models (probably the Lima version). You could maybe try contacting Brian at SP/EE and ask him whether he does a version for the Heljan model, although I couldn't see any roof grilles for a Heljan 47 mentioned on his website. He should be able to help you though (best to give him a ring as he's a busy man!). 

Hope that helps at least to some extent!

Dave

Dave

Hi Dave,

I had a quick look on flickr and didn't see any of 004 with ploughs while in coal sector livery. Maybe your next 26/0 could have them. I think if you have ploughs on too many loco's it doesn't look right.

Have a look at your class 40 too Dave, It doesn't look like the body is right down on the chassis. I had the same problem with mine, and found it was a wire caught under the bulkhead.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Dave and Peter,

I stand to be corrected but I don't believe any of the slow speed control Lothian Coal Traffic Class 26/0s would've had miniature snow ploughs fitted.

Cheers,

Jim

• Like 1

Thanks Dave

Mis-understanding- due to my ill written post.

I was referring to the cab window frames (which I totally failed to mention!). I bought the etches from EE for the front and sides and they appeared to be of incompatible sizes. Each of the makes of 47 all have different interpretations of how the windows should appear.

I have just been told by someone who is clearly a bit of a clever chap on Brush 4's that the EE one is confirmed as 1:76.2 of the prototype rather than being made for any specific model. Now the question is of course whether it looks proportionately correct in relation to the remaining features.

I have been scouring the site for close ups of all the different makes. I have the Bachmann one (not my favourite) but was looking for pics of the Heljan and Vi. I knew you had several close ups so that I could see how each make interpreted the (surprisingly difficult) angles and curves of the front ends.

Oh how I wish I'd taken up the violin instead of trains...

Hi Derek,

I see. Sorry, yes, I misinterpreted you. I can't help you with the window frames, I'm afraid. I've never done anything to the window frames on either type of 47 that I have (Heljan and Bachmann).

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,

Cheers Peter.

Hi Dave and Peter,

I stand to be corrected but I don't believe any of the slow speed control Lothian Coal Traffic Class 26/0s would've had miniature snow ploughs fitted.

Cheers,

Jim

Hi Peter, Stephen and Jim

I haven't found a single photograph of 26004 with ploughs fitted either so I think you're right Jim. No ploughs it is then! I think you're right too Peter about having too many plough-fitted locos, nice as they are!

Re. the 40 - I'd noticed that too. The 40 is actually "in the works" as it's just started derailing. Looking at it, I don't think it's anything more than the pickups on one axle pushing the wheels over to one side, as it's been fine up to now. Will have a look at the body too though now, thanks!

Cheers

Dave

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 1

Hi Dave

I seem to remember reading that the first seven "pilot scheme" class twenty sixes weren't fitted with snow plough brackets. I could be wrong though.

Stephen

This rings a bell with me too though I think there were 20 pilot scheme 26s and none of them had plough brackets was what I recall reading.

M

Dave,

You know if you were to post photos of a Brush 4 on that plank you would get the response of

"Bl00dy hell, that's really good Dave."

I promise that I wouldn't give you a hard time over whether or not that particular paragon of excellent locomotive design should have ploughs or not!!!

(that's a light hearted reminder to Dave about the greatest locomotive class ever built and not an insult to those who are clearly very knowledgeable about 26s and ploughs)

Dave,

You know if you were to post photos of a Brush 4 on that plank you would get the response of

"Bl00dy hell, that's really good Dave."

I promise that I wouldn't give you a hard time over whether or not that particular paragon of excellent locomotive design should have ploughs or not!!!

(that's a light hearted reminder to Dave about the greatest locomotive class ever built and not an insult to those who are clearly very knowledgeable about 26s and ploughs)

Large Logo Inverness-based 47546 is sat on my desk just waiting for the right opportunity. Will that do for a start?

Cheers,

Dave

I've just joined RMweb and have sat up half the night reading this thread and looking at it again over breakfast. Amazing. It brings back so many memories.

In the 1980s I worked in Market Street and would spend many a lunch break wandering around Waverley or sitting in the Gardens overlooking Waverley West. You knew if a Deltic was in because you'd hear it before you saw it. I'm sure I remember double headed 25s on the Inverness trains. I'm sure there was also a permanently filthy shunter which still had a lion and wheel beneath the grime.

Earlier in I would guess 71 or 72 Saturday morning trainspotting with a platform ticket. Watching engine changes on trains coming in from Aberdeen when a Brush would be replaced by a Deltic in about 3 minutes, with a shunter (a bloke not a loco in this case) ducking between the buffers to couple and uncouple, in a very slick operation.

Earlier still I had a great Aunt who lived in a tenement flat in Roseburn with a view of Haymarket shed from the front room window.

Moving back to the 1980s in 1985/86 I worked on site on the final section of the Portobello bypass which involved moving the Leith South goods branch sideways. At the time it was used by coal trains generally hauled by low numbered 26s. I don't recalll snow ploughs. I do recall the Saturday afternoon that we were given possession and started swinging manhole rings across the track only to be alerted by some frantic hooting from a 26 and 20 loaded hoppers coming down the grade from the ECML and definitely not stopping. Fortunately we all got out the way.

Is there anywhere that you have posted your weathering techniques? You should be running a masterclass.

Bob

• Like 1

Morning Dave, some lovely shots within the last few pages. Who's figures do you use for your drivers, and are they ready painted?

Hi Lee,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you on this. 

My drivers are mainly unpainted ones from Preiser...

http://www.gaugemaster.com/item_details.asp?code=PR16335&style=main&strType=&Mcode=Preiser+16335

I sometimes also use Bachmann "businessmen" suitably repainted.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1