Waverley West, Princes St Gardens and Haymarket MPD

Waverley West

I went to Edinburgh for the first time on Valentine's Day with the wife. Got a chance to see Waverley in person and it makes me appreciate just how good your layout is. Truly stunning work, well done!

Where did you get your flush glazing for your Mk3s please?

• RMweb Gold

Stunning - just stunning!
That Strathclyde-liveried 107, in your first post this evening, is hard to tell from the real thing.

As always, it's a real pleasure to visit this thread.

Kev.

I went to Edinburgh for the first time on Valentine's Day with the wife. Got a chance to see Waverley in person and it makes me appreciate just how good your layout is. Truly stunning work, well done!

Where did you get your flush glazing for your Mk3s please?

Thanks sub39h.

The glazing is Shawplan Lazerglaze with etched window frames.

more fantastic pics. always look forward to seeing more from Waverley West!

was thinking though, looks extremely realistic, until you realise, Edinburgh not usually very sunny. :D jk

actually, the not-sunny HST pic above looks excellent as well. more cloudy pics? :)

more fantastic pics. always look forward to seeing more from Waverley West!

was thinking though, looks extremely realistic, until you realise, Edinburgh not usually very sunny. :D jk

actually, the not-sunny HST pic above looks excellent as well. more cloudy pics? :)

Thanks fender. You're not the first to mention that the sun always seems to shine on Waverley West! Maybe I should try some cloudy pics too then? The next time the relentless Cumbrian sun lets up, I'll see what I can do.  :jester:

Cheers

Dave

Stunning - just stunning!

That Strathclyde-liveried 107, in your first post this evening, is hard to tell from the real thing.

As always, it's a real pleasure to visit this thread.

Kev.

Cheers Kev. That's what RMWeb should be about in my view.

• Like 2

Wonderful as always Dave. Funnily enough, I have just been out in the garden snapping some 7mm beasties, have a look at my thread in 10 mins  :sungum:  Can't say the same weatherwise though....we had frost this morning, and a brief blast of Sun did appear mid photo session, but it's gone back in and it's now bloody freezing  :no:

Hi Dave.

As a matter of interest, which make(?) are your Class 47's.

I know each have their advantages, and with detailing and weathering all can be made to look good, but I just wondered, as yours do look just how I remember them.

Jamie

Wonderful as always Dave. Funnily enough, I have just been out in the garden snapping some 7mm beasties, have a look at my thread in 10 mins  :sungum:  Can't say the same weatherwise though....we had frost this morning, and a brief blast of Sun did appear mid photo session, but it's gone back in and it's now bloody freezing  :no:

Will do, Lee! We had a bit of a frost here too this morning, but it seemed to warm up pretty quickly. There are a few clouds around though. Fingers crossed that they stay away.

Cheers 

Dave

Hi Dave.

As a matter of interest, which make(?) are your Class 47's.

I know each have their advantages, and with detailing and weathering all can be made to look good, but I just wondered, as yours do look just how I remember them.

Jamie

Hi Jamie,

They are a mix of Heljan and Bachmann. 47510 above is Heljan and 47745 is Bachmann.

I like both to be honest. The Heljan one is a good reliable loco and looks like a 47 to me, as long as you don't worry too much about the excess width (which I don't generally, as I view the layout side-on mostly). The Bachmann one is more refined and I like that too, although the oversized marker lights on some of them jar a little in my eyes. They scrub up very nicely though and the buffer beam area is superb. The ViTrains ones are good too shapewise, but it looks like they need too much work for me to produce a really good looking loco (they still have that "Lima look" to me and the prismatic glazing just has to be replaced in my view). It's all very subjective of course and these are just my views.

Cheers

Dave 

Edited by Waverley West

Hi Jamie,

They are a mix of Heljan and Bachmann. 47510 above is Heljan and 47745 is Bachmann.

I like both to be honest. The Heljan one is a good reliable loco and looks like a 47 to me, as long as you don't worry too much about the excess width (which I don't generally, as I view the layout side-on mostly). The Bachmann one is more refined and I like that too, although the oversized marker lights on some of them jar a little in my eyes. They scrub up very nicely though and the buffer beam area is superb. The ViTrains ones are good too shapewise, but it looks like they need too much work for me to produce a really good looking loco (they still have that "Lima look" to me and the prismatic glazing just has to be replaced in my view). It's all very subjective of course and these are just my views.

Cheers

Dave 

Thanks Dave.

Your opinions on the locos are really helpful. I agree it is rather subjective, especially as almost all the manufacturers have had ago at 47s.

Your weathering really has bright the best out in them. The marker lights aren't a problem for me as I only model up to around the beginning of the 80's. Have you done much detailing, or is it just that your weathering has brought out the details on the bogies and under-frames?

Lovely photos, and inspiring modelling. Thank you for sharing.

Jamie

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

post-7247-0-39000400-1427279004.jpg

i think this has to be one of your most realistic pics ever dave - there have been many, i know, but something about the lighting just makes this one that wee bit more special.

there may not have been any sunshine, but there's a nice 'neutral' quality to the light which shows a lot of the detail that might be lost in a 'light and shade' pic

and a bright, grey day is much more protoypical anyway!

• Like 10