Waverley West, Princes St Gardens and Haymarket MPD

Waverley West

Thanks keefer. That's what I was trying to tell myself!

I set out to lay 'perfect track' but failed miserably. It looks far, far wonkier in those two shots than when viewed from the side, when any wonkiness is not really apparent at all. But you're right of course, I've seen plenty of examples of undulating/slightly wobbly track when viewed through a telephoto lens, even on main lines.

That HST at speed looks amazing !! You could have said it was a still from the advert back in the day. 

Did you fit Kadees to your 58? If so did you have do anything special to them as I thought the pockets were too high? 

Edited by thebritfarmer

That HST at speed looks amazing !! You could have said it was a still from the advert back in the day. 

Did you fit Kadees to your 58? If so did you have do anything special to them as I thought the pockets were too high? 

Thanks britfarmer. No, I haven't done anything to it. If anything, I find Heljan coupling pockets a bit droopy generally.

Thanks britfarmer. No, I haven't done anything to it. If anything, I find Heljan coupling pockets a bit droopy generally.

Superb pictures again. Just the place to come for some inspiration.

I've got a few Heljan loco's, and I agree with WW that the couplings tend to droop a bit, if anything. I do have a 128 though, and that one is set a bit more ridged and too high for the NEM Kadees. I also have a couple of the Cargowagon flats from Heljan, and they are also too high.

Jinty ;-)

Edited by Jintyman

Hi Dave, loving the 47/7 at speed!

Whilst I know that this is a bit on from your preferred period, nevertheless I think that you might quite like this!

Only slightly on, Alex. I still find the early 90s very interesting, but Waverley tailed off a bit then, mainly due to the influx of 15x units replacing the push-pulls in particular.

Double-headed Coal Sector 26s with HAAs. Hmmmm. Watching those really makes me want to get on with my second Coal Sector 26. Lots of other interesting loco combinations too.

Brilliant, thanks for posting! Half an hour very well spent.

Cheers

Dave

Edited by Waverley West

Hi folks,

I needed to quench my thirst for speed again last night, so I headed out to the countryside to watch some trains go by.

First up is 26025, which passed on a Speedlink coal train...

post-7247-0-21161100-1426154924_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-88354600-1426154943_thumb.jpg

I also started work on a few Eckon signals for the eastbound line. I test-wired them to an LDT decoder and got them working pretty quickly, which I was pleased about, as the wiring is slightly different to my other signals (common negative rather than common positive). I have assembled two now with one more to go. Then it's off to the paint shop for them and then fitting to the layout.

I have a few more speed shots to post, so I hope to be back soon.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 16

Another couple of lovely shots! Superb weathering, lots of athmosphere... would love to see that layout in a magazin (with hundreds of pix of course)!

Simon

Thanks Simon. It's been in Model Rail and Hornby Magazine so far (I can find the edition numbers if you want).

I think I'm allowed to say that it will be appearing in BRM soon too. 

Cheers

Dave

• Like 2

I have not looked at your thread for a couple of weeks and what do I find fantastic photos and boy have you been busy but the subsidence by the loco shed looks very real and should have a tsr at the very least and men in orange suits looking worried! The natural light I your railway room makes the pictures look very good, a thought why not model the branch to Lieth you know it makes sence!

I have not looked at your thread for a couple of weeks and what do I find fantastic photos and boy have you been busy but the subsidence by the loco shed looks very real and should have a tsr at the very least and men in orange suits looking worried! The natural light I your railway room makes the pictures look very good, a thought why not model the branch to Lieth you know it makes sence!

Thanks lms. 

An inspection party visited the site of the subsidence last night. There is a gap in the supports under the layout which I can fill but it is relatively small and I'm surprised it looks as bad as it does in those two photos. The planning of remedial work is under way though! I have a team of PW workers but they need backdating to the 80s when hi-viz vests seemed to be pretty optional.

As for Leith, yes, that would be nice, wouldn't it? After completing the depot, the next stage in the development of WW will be a decent-sized fiddle yard I think though. Then there's the Oban "branch".. And... 

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave, loving the 47/7 at speed!

Whilst I know that this is a bit on from your preferred period, nevertheless I think that you might quite like this!

Super footage - especially the double headed 20's and 26's !!

Near the end  - that 08 561 Pug was Shields Road/ Motherwell allocated - as per the "leaping Salmon emblem"  - Thornaby used a Kingfisher,  or put in correct railway terms,  Area Maintenance Engineer logos  - AME's

Edited by tractor_37260

Hi Dave, me too! Last night whilst I had a few minutes to relax, I put on a DVD which included footage taken in 1990/1991 around the Midlands, Superb! The variety of traction and liveries was quality, where is Dr. Emmett Brown, we need that time machine?!!

I have to agree, seeing pairs of 26s and 37s on HAAs, oh and a pair of 20s, made me think about modelling Scotland! Especially the 26s, they have a lovely engine sound.
This is really sad but I do miss the sound of HAAs squealing, always did like seeing MGRs.

Loving 26025, great photos.

• Like 1

Hi Dave, me too! Last night whilst I had a few minutes to relax, I put on a DVD which included footage taken in 1990/1991 around the Midlands, Superb! The variety of traction and liveries was quality, where is Dr. Emmett Brown, we need that time machine?!!

I have to agree, seeing pairs of 26s and 37s on HAAs, oh and a pair of 20s, made me think about modelling Scotland! Especially the 26s, they have a lovely engine sound.

This is really sad but I do miss the sound of HAAs squealing, always did like seeing MGRs.

Loving 26025, great photos.

Me too Alex. Building a layout is the closest thing I can get to a time machine. Sometimes, when I'm having an operating session I really do feel transported back in time. It's quite a strange feeling really. I guess that's what I'm trying to achieve with the layout really. I do love listening to the flange squeal sounds as an MGR runs through the station. Like you, MGR trains in particular always seemed to capture my imagination. I'm looking to build a fairly extensive fiddle yard hopefully later this year, so that freight on the layout can be increased hugely. At the moment, passenger trains dominate and that's the way it should be of course, but I can only have one freight train on the layout at any one time which is frustrating. 

Not much progress made on the layout this past week. I had to go to a family funeral on Friday and that meant squeezing 5+ days work into 4. Hopefully, I can get back on track this week as I was making good progress and had some momentum going.

I'm still in the process of building some Eckon signals, which is the main project right now. As a few people have asked now, I thought I'd start a workbench thread with my weathering projects. My second Coal Sector 26 is probably going to be next to enter the works, although Coal Sector 56128 has been in for fitting of a new speaker and a driver plus buffer beam detailing.

60009 is still sat in front of me on my desk as I contemplate how to make good Hornby's sloppy shortcuts with a pretty expensive limited edition model. Oh for a ha'pworth of tar.

Cheers for now,

Dave

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 2