Water Mill Halt a small oil/creosote/tar works

trains12

Hi All

Still stumbling around in the dark as to which system to use on DCC. In the mean time I am working on the buildings which include a Guild hall base on one in Devon and a freelance model of a garage and shop. Have still to make my mind up on the type of farm that is going to be fitted onto it

I have noted that on the web that people are using Wills sheeting and gluing this onto a mounting board structure. From my experience of over fifty years modelling is that this method can cause the building to wrap due to the differences in coefficient of the materials used. I now use form board for all my buildings (some time thin ply) and then cover the building with double side tape onto which the embossed plastic card is laid. The tape having to layers of stick then moves with each surface independently thus a eliminating any tendency to wrap.

Will post a few shoots in the next few days of the buildings.

Peter

en

Hi Peter

That's all well and good mate, but on my experience of watching you with all your modelling, on hot days down the unit, does this not tend to pull away from the double sided tape and bubble up and come away, like on glen gillie station or is that stuck down in a different way, but needs attention.

I would interest to see what other methods other people use, which may prevent this from happening.

Regards to DCC Controllers, I thought we spoke about this when we... (Ray, you and I) were together up your house last.  You had your heart set on Gauge Master because that's who you can get the discount from… along with Bachmann Discount but the Bachmann Dynamis was wireless which you didn't like or want wireless so the Balls in your court for the DCC Controller, we have stated which we think, Lenz was too expensive, and the other didn’t meet your requirements or again was to expensive.

Jamie

• Like 1

Hi Jamie

No the station platform on Glen Gillie was stuck down using a contact glue which has not been good. This is the only item that you have seen on the models that has come away there is no other item which I have used the double side tape on that this has happened. It does need attention it has been re-glued now on numerous occasions but is going to have to be re-striped and the whole platform done.

As regards the DCC yes we have discussed it and I was going to go for the Gaugemaster unit but since then I have been told other information which has again put me in the dark over which unit to use. It is nothing on your or Rays reflections but it is going to be a great step to make when you consider the number of layouts and stock that will be converted.

Peter

Hi Peter

What... 'other information which has again put me (You) in the dark over which unit to use'...? Is there something we can look into to help the move over to DCC quicker for you...!?!

Away at the moment visiting Family and Turbo on my Car is being replaced... had to have it RAC'd back to Wolves...!?!

Jamie

Hi Peter,

What make of double sided tape do you use?

Hi Ray

The tape I tend to use is called Multi Purpose Double Sides Mammoth Tape It is by Ever Build. I get mine from Stermat. B&Q do a cheaper tape but I find that at times it is not strong enough to hold some of the thicker Material like Wills sheets in place. With wills sheets we can make the building by just using them and the accessory items that they make,like the corner strengthening units, which does away with the backing card foundation. Again we have these in stock at the unit.

Peter

Hi Peter

What... 'other information which has again put me (You) in the dark over which unit to use'...? Is there something we can look into to help the move over to DCC quicker for you...!?!

Away at the moment visiting Family and Turbo on my Car is being replaced... had to have it RAC'd back to Wolves...!?!

Jamie

Hi Jamie

I was all set to take on the Gaugemaster Prodigy but in the last 2 weeks I have had 2 modellers call in to see me whilst they were on holiday from up north and both of them have said not to go for the Prodigy. In 1 case they have had that much trouble with the units on their own and club layouts having to return the units for repair that they have now done away with them and gone to Lenz. In the other case Stuart has had problems and didn't like them something to do with different chips fitted and not getting commands from the controller. He has now bought a ZTC unit. So I still don't know which is the best to go for. The only 2 units I have used were original Gaugemaster units which we supplied on a layout we helped build and both units had to be returned for repair. (In fairness both Paul & myself feel it was operator error not electrical!!)

So still looking.

You can help though if you know of any of those money trees that are supposed top be around!

Peter

Hi Peter,

What make of double sided tape do you use?

Hi Peter

Is there a particular brand of double-sided tape or any type will do, as I may get some while over this way, as back in Birmingham towards the end of the week.

On another Note:

Went passed Bescot on the M6 yesterday on my way back from the Bull Ring in Birmingham and there was a Green Deltic D9009 Alycidon parked up on the far side, Twitted it on 'Twitter' said it was down Plymouth the Day before for a weekend trip, and was waiting to be taken back to DPS, so got off at J9 and got some great photos of it... which was a BONUS...

Jamie

Hi Ray

The tape I tend to use is called Multi Purpose Double Sides Mammoth Tape It is by Ever Build. I get mine from Stermat. B&Q do a cheaper tape but I find that at times it is not strong enough to hold some of the thicker Material like Wills sheets in place. With wills sheets we can make the building by just using them and the accessory items that they make,like the corner strengthening units, which does away with the backing card foundation. Again we have these in stock at the unit.

Peter

Hi Peter

Is there a particular brand of double-sided tape or any type will do, as I may get some while over this way, as back in Birmingham towards the end of the week.

On another Note:

Went passed Bescot on the M6 yesterday on my way back from the Bull Ring in Birmingham and there was a Green Deltic D9009 Alycidon parked up on the far side, Twitted it on 'Twitter' said it was down Plymouth the Day before for a weekend trip, and was waiting to be taken back to DPS, so got off at J9 and got some great photos of it... which was a BONUS...

Jamie

Hi Jamie

I posted the above on the type of tape that I use. There are others but This one seams to give the best results.

When home bring the shots round.

Peter

Edited by trains12

Hi Peter...

Ha-ha.... with regards to the Tape... Multi Purpose Double Sides Mammoth Tape It is by Ever Build

also Peter, on what day do we travel to Hartlepool to set up for the up coming show...? Cheers mate.

Jamie

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All

Well after a lot of debate and advice as well as some against I have now decided upon using the Gaugemaster system for DCC. At first it will be only DCC with no sound but in time a few engines will be fitted with sound. Just have to find the money now to pay for it. In the mean time work will start in the next week or so on the bus bars and wiring on the layout.

Peter

Hi All

Here are a couple of shots on the building work to date. After getting Glen Gillie / Loch Inch ready for the two shows work has now turned back to Water Mill Hal.

The new building is intended to be the Village/ Guild hall, a rather posh one for such a small village but I took a fancy to it in a book On Glorious Devon by the GWR in 1928 it being the Guildhall at Totnes.

It has be made to suit the requirements of the layout. Will keep up dates coming.

cheers

Peter

post-6915-0-69999900-1374681384.jpg

post-6915-0-69470200-1374681387.jpg

post-6915-0-15906900-1374681381.jpg

• 5 months later...

Hi all

We were down at Llanberis yesterday sorting out what is going. Water Miill halt will be there together it is hoped the Bridge of Muri section.

Work is underway on Water mill halt on the wiring for  DCC at home (Unit is to cold) and also on the conversation of some of the stock. By weekend it  should be at the stage of plastering. But still need a few more buildings to be made. Ray has promised me details of the magnets that he is using so that we can change the couplings over to Kedee. I hope that it will also be going to Bakewell show but will have to see if we get an invite this year.

Will take a few shots to day and post them.

Cherrs

Peter

Hi all

Here are a few photos of the state of play this morning on the layout. Have just received some of my dcc supplies so am hoping that Ray will be down soon to help me connect it all up.

Peter

post-6915-0-66300700-1389098800.jpg

a view of the mill

post-6915-0-17342000-1389098805.jpg

A general view.

post-6915-0-70124200-1389098808.jpg

The toll house. based on the one at Llanfairpg.....on Anglesey.

post-6915-0-06833100-1389098812.jpg

A view between the Guild Hall and hotel down towards the station. There will be a small building on the left hand side.

post-6915-0-74700100-1389098814.jpg

A view looking between the hotel and the toll house which will lead up to the level crossing and then past the Guild Hall.

post-6915-0-23088400-1389098818.jpg

A view of the new model which is the Guild Hall, based on the one at Totness

• Like 1

Hi Peter

The magnets I used for the Kadee couplers were from E Magnets UK.

They are 22mm x 6mm but CambrianCoaster on his layout Pwllheli used 22x11mm both seems to work ok.

Let me know when you have all the DCC stuff and I'll pop over.

Ray.

Hi Jamie

I have gone for the NCE Power Cab system for this layout. It will have the power to run two trains at one time so should be enough for the operation of the layout. In the mean time have obtained two Hornby decoders and have fitted one to a Class 121 and the other will be in either a Class 08 or the Hornby GWR 28xx Further decoders for the Bachmann, Dapol, Helagen will follow over the next month.

One other item that is being addressed are the couplings. A move has now been made to change all the stock over to Kadee and Bachmann EZ couplings. The stock for Water Mill Halt is not to great only about 10 engines and about 30 wagons at the most covering both the 1950s - 1970s and present day stock.

Ray has said that he wiil call over this Sunday and help with the wiring of the layout in the mean time most of the plastering has been done and work is well advanced on the completion of the buildings.

Will post some photos in the next few days.

Peter

Hi Peter

Good to see you are finally making decisions on the DCC as it taken you some time to come to a conclusion, I would thing you can run plenty of loco for what You need to run with that NCE DCC Controller including a few sound locos to. 

Changing the naff couplings, well well well.... :locomotive: finally sticking to what works, what as made you decide to change to a better couplings then...!?! as you have never wanted to in the passed but I must say probably one of your better moves to do so, less on the hand of god on future exhibitions, let hope viewers can see more run time than down time. ha-ha... :scratchhead:  :no:

Excellent stuff and good to hear things are moving. Hope you are feeling a lot better and hope Wendy is ok to.

Jamie

Hi Jamie

I must say that the comments ' Naff couplings' will not go down well with B & B. The problem with the wagons that you have seen over the last year are that they have been worn out and damage over the last ten years. Most of these couplings are now 25 plus years old and have become metal fatigued with having to continually straighten them due to not having correct stock boxes to put them in ( a remedy soon to be rectified). I was checking some of the old stock of Buxworth sidings which has not been used since we came to North Wales 14 years ago and they are all working correctly. I admit that a few have fallen of the mounts but other wise all correct.

One of the main reasons that I am change them is that I have now run out of B&B 's and they are proving a little difficult to fit to the nem sockets especially on the engines  so it is more sensible to use the plug in Kadee 17,18,19 and 20 style

The other reason is that the electro uncouplers are for some reason burning out this is a major problem which has been pointed out to Gaugemaster but all they say is use protection between the transformer and the circuits. We have always had G41 G42 protection breakers by Gaugemaster fitted so I dont know what else to do on the side other that fit permanent magnets but in most cases these are to strung for the B&B 's and can pull them of the rails or not uncouple correctly.

If I could found a ease way of fitting B&B to the new stock then I would stay with B&B as they are a for better uncoupler, clean ,neat and not obtrusive. and also a lot cheaper.

Peter

Edited by trains12

Hi all

Well Ray came down on Sunday and showed me how to wire up the two boards. This has now been done other than the point motors which I think I will be using slow acting ones.So A big thank you to Ray for that and also sorting out one of the decoders that a wire has come off.

Peter

Edited by trains12
  • Like 1

Hi

I notice there is a show coming up, where are you exhibiting and do you sell any stock for modelling or wagons etc.

DS

Hi DS

Yes we are at the Welsh Slate Museum show on the 27th, 28th Feb and 1st 2nd of March at Llanberis  with Water Mill Halt and part of the Bridge of Muir plus my demo stand. I do have a shop Railways Unlimited/Cheona Publications where we sell every thing from Bachmann down to various kits.and bits.but I am now semi retired so are only open limited hours at present due also to the illness before Christmas .

At the show the club will be selling various items from our late members estate There will be some good bargains.

Peter