Water Mill Halt a small oil/creosote/tar works

trains12

Hi All

Here are a few shots of the start of construction of the Water Mill. The basic shape is made from foamboard which will be covered with enbossed Plastic card etc after all the window and door apertures have been cut into the sides.That is the next job.

The tar works is on hold awaiting further modelling supplys to come in the next few days.

In the mean time work is in hand on making a start on the points to be made. I already have three of them left over from another layout that was not built so it leaves just three to make usunig copper clad strip and code 75 rail.

Cheers for now.

Peter

post-6915-0-08329100-1297887642_thumb.jpg

post-6915-0-31769600-1297887647_thumb.jpg

post-6915-0-99726000-1297887652_thumb.jpg

post-6915-0-39828400-1297887658_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi all

Here is the next stage in the construction of the Water Mill. Has can be seen the main structure has been completed and the work of applying the embossed plastic sheet has been started on the house part of the mill. This is held on by double sided tape, this allows for any movement between the foamboard and the plastic sheet. I am for the house part using a fine random stone. The windows and doors are from the Will's range with the glazing of leaded lights.

The mill race has been started and the water wheel from the new ratio kit has been made, but at present I feel it may be a little on the small side.:unsure: Any opinions on this?

Will keep you posted.

Cheers

Peter

post-6915-0-78002500-1298029219_thumb.jpg

post-6915-0-27077200-1298029223_thumb.jpg

post-6915-0-73903900-1298029228_thumb.jpg

post-6915-0-65130400-1298029232_thumb.jpg

post-6915-0-63459500-1298029236_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi All

Due to personal reasons I have not been on the web for some time so I should say to all a Happy New Year and hope that your modelling projects are all going well.

Anyway this is a new thread for me which will have many of the small projects that I have underway. I am one of those people that starts many different ideas of which some are started but then are put aside for different reasons, building a commission layout for a customer or completing a research project, but then doing a small amount now and then. I often see a group of buildings or a scene that I feel that I must model with the result that in my modelling room I have scores of half finished and completed models which are used or adapted to suit on future layouts or the final dream layout.

To this end I stared a few years ago a condensing unit, when I was constructing the buildings for Great Tunsley Dale, that I had seen at a disused site. All that was done was a few drawings and a block of balsa wood covered in plastic card and lined out with some plastruct. Two weeks ago an idea for a small micro layout raised its head so the idea of a small oil/creosote/tar works came to the front. This has expanded now into a small layout that can be tagged onto some of my other layouts to give added interest in the operation side. The results are the following photographs of what is being made to date on the building side. The actual layout design has not been finalised yet. I have a lot of spare points left over from track demonstrations so it will be hashed from these.

Excellent work - reminds me of part of the lanfina Bitumen operation at Preston Docks with its maze of pipes and refractors.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://s0.geograph.org.uk/photos/94/95/949561_9cbe1d67.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/9495

The works is served by Bitumen flows from Lindsay 3 times a week by Class 66 and sometimes 60's

Hi All

Due to personal reasons I have not been on the web for some time so I should say to all a Happy New Year and hope that your modelling projects are all going well.

Anyway this is a new thread for me which will have many of the small projects that I have underway. I am one of those people that starts many different ideas of which some are started but then are put aside for different reasons, building a commission layout for a customer or completing a research project, but then doing a small amount now and then. I often see a group of buildings or a scene that I feel that I must model with the result that in my modelling room I have scores of half finished and completed models which are used or adapted to suit on future layouts or the final dream layout.

To this end I stared a few years ago a condensing unit, when I was constructing the buildings for Great Tunsley Dale, that I had seen at a disused site. All that was done was a few drawings and a block of balsa wood covered in plastic card and lined out with some plastruct. Two weeks ago an idea for a small micro layout raised its head so the idea of a small oil/creosote/tar works came to the front. This has expanded now into a small layout that can be tagged onto some of my other layouts to give added interest in the operation side. The results are the following photographs of what is being made to date on the building side. The actual layout design has not been finalised yet. I have a lot of spare points left over from track demonstrations so it will be hashed from these.

Excellent work - reminds me of part of the lanfina Bitumen operation at Preston Docks with its maze of pipes and refractors.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/949561

The works is served by Bitumen flows from Lindsay 3 times a week by Class 66 and sometimes 60's

• RMweb Gold

The mill looks good, although as you say the wheel is a bit on the small side, about twice the diameter would look better and a little wider as well, it is quite a large mill and would probably have more gear in it than the Wills one would, This one would perhaps be a bit too big though ohmy.gif .

The Wills wheel is an 'undershot' wheel, these were not very efficient as the water could sneak around the paddles and not do much work. Overshot wheels are more efficient as the water fills the buckets to push the wheel round and less is wasted, though this type may be difficult with this structure.

This is my Greyscroft Mill under construction, also see it finished on Greyscroft Mine.

post-7104-0-55483200-1298244900_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Peter

Nice to see this project coming along, Hope all is well with you and family.

Keep these photos coming along... Miss all this kinda of stuff and watching you sit for hour making your Layouts come to life....

Untill the next time we speak and/or I'll pop round to see you when I'm down your way next, but not always on a weekend mostly Midweek at present.

Say Hi to Wendy

Warm Regards

Jamie

• Like 1

[ quote name=Worsdell forever' timestamp='1298245059' post='335210]

The mill looks good, although as you say the wheel is a bit on the small side, about twice the diameter would look better and a little wider as well, it is quite a large mill and would probably have more gear in it than the Wills one would, This one would perhaps be a bit too big though .

The Wills wheel is an 'undershot' wheel, these were not very efficient as the water could sneak around the paddles and not do much work. Overshot wheels are more efficient as the water fills the buckets to push the wheel round and less is wasted, though this type may be difficult with this structure.

This is my Greyscroft Mill under construction, also see it finished on Greyscroft Mine.

post-7104-0-55483200-1298244900_thumb.jpg

Peter

I don't want to be picky but the wheel that you have shown in your pictures is the wrong design for an undershot wheel and as you say too small.

Pete

Hi Paul and Pete

Yes I agree that the wheel doses look two small and I am in the process of trying to make it a little larger by extending the paddle blades. I have obtained two books on watermills in the last few days and in them it shows the type of wheel that I am now trying to make. It should add about 15mm to the dia. Will take a few shots today and post them. It still may be on the small side so the other option is to make a master and cast a few sides in resin.

Peter

These links may help?

http://www.top-alter...eel-design.html

http://www.builditso.../WaterWheel.htm

The building looks great.

Pete

Hi Pete

Many thanks for the above links. We have a steam running through the garden with two small waterfalls of three and two foot drops. Giving me an idea to build a small water wheel to generate some electric to heat the large barn which has the permanent layout and The Railway Study Centre collection in it. Save on fuel cost.

Cheers all

Peter

• Like 2

Hi all

Here are some more shots of the contruction of the Water Mill and also of a small toll house that I am finishing that was to go on another layout but will now be the toll house for the bridge? Also a shot of the modified water wheel.

post-6915-0-85596500-1298385099_thumb.jpg

post-6915-0-41441400-1298385104_thumb.jpg

post-6915-0-28715400-1298385108_thumb.jpg

post-6915-0-10411100-1298385113_thumb.jpg

post-6915-0-89309300-1298385117_thumb.jpg

post-6915-0-75540100-1298385121_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi All

On Easter Saturday I am having a bit of an open day down at the unit in Nantlle. Anyone in the area are welcome to call and see use, will have a couple of the layouts either part up or fully up and working. Great Tunsley Dale for one part up Will be open form 10.30am till about 3.30pmHave a cup of tea or coffee and talk about railways. All welcome. Contact me for further details via PM

Peter

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Peter

Note seen this thread for some time... Man I can't beleive how much you have moved on this layout, its looks excellent, Missing all those times I used to watch you sit for hour doing this biulding work...

Dam... I missed out big time on the flocking, its looking great dude...

Is there any more on the latest Photo updates...

Until the next time buddy, take good care untill I next come over to see you, and I'll bring my camera with me to...

Cheers matey

Jamie

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hi All

Well it has been sometime since I posted on this thread, mainly due to working flat out on Glen Gillie , but now that the bulk of that layout is behind me it is time to do some work on this layout.

I dusted off the buildings in the modelling room last night and over the next few days will be starting work on them again so I will post some details in the next few days.

In the mean time packing up Dartmouth for kingswear ready for next weekend at Model Rail Live at Barrow hill.

Cheers

Peter

• 6 months later...

Hi All

well after getting Glen Gillie on the circut it is time to make a start on Water Mill Halt. I am in the process of doing afew minor alterations to the track layout and also have been drawing out the builds for the village and the bridge over the river. It will I think have its first outing next year at the Slate museum show. Will keep the up dates coming.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Hi mate

You seem to do alot of modelling, and good at it too.

do you have any extra development photos of its progress, and when will it be at a show to see.

regards, DC

Hi PC

will post some more shots in the next few days of the work that is now proceeding. The first show for this will be the Slate Museum show on the 14th - 17th of Feb.at Llanberis North Wales, this year where it will be on show as a work in progress with myself demonstrating the various techniques on the layout.

Well worth a visit.

Peter

hi  

a very nice piece of work there on the pipework!!! i just wanted to know what parts did you use for the pipework and where did you get it from?

as im looking to do something similar for my cement works.

regards

terry

Hi Terry

Most of the pipework is made from Knightwing items or Plastruct with bends either cast by myself or from Knightwing. Most model shops sell it and we stock it in our shop.

Peter.

Edited by trains12

Hi All

Well at present snowed in with a few 4ft driffs so I have spent the time making the base boards. The three shots show the state of play last night. Hope to get more done today but need items from the Shop/workshop and cannot get even the 4x4 out so they will have to wait.

The layout is going to the Welsh Slate Museum show in 3 weeks time as a work in progress showing all the items making the layout up.

Peter

post-6915-0-77153600-1358680582.jpg

post-6915-0-63045400-1358680587.jpg

post-6915-0-80557200-1358680591.jpg

• Like 3