Water Mill Halt a small oil/creosote/tar works

trains12

Hi All

Due to personal reasons I have not been on the web for some time so I should say to all a Happy New Year and hope that your modelling projects are all going well.

Anyway this is a new thread for me which will have many of the small projects that I have underway. I am one of those people that starts many different ideas of which some are started but then are put aside for different reasons, building a commission layout for a customer or completing a research project, but then doing a small amount now and then. I often see a group of buildings or a scene that I feel that I must model with the result that in my modelling room I have scores of half finished and completed models which are used or adapted to suit on future layouts or the final dream layout.

To this end I stared a few years ago a condensing unit, when I was constructing the buildings for Great Tunsley Dale, that I had seen at a disused site. All that was done was a few drawings and a block of balsa wood covered in plastic card and lined out with some plastruct. Two weeks ago an idea for a small micro layout raised its head so the idea of a small oil/creosote/tar works came to the front. This has expanded now into a small layout that can be tagged onto some of my other layouts to give added interest in the operation side. The results are the following photographs of what is being made to date on the building side. The actual layout design has not been finalised yet. I have a lot of spare points left over from track demonstrations so it will be hashed from these.

post-6915-0-27129700-1296127768_thumb.jpg

post-6915-0-82442600-1296127777_thumb.jpg

post-6915-0-91305200-1296127784_thumb.jpg

post-6915-0-82386800-1296127791_thumb.jpg

post-6915-0-21339700-1296127799_thumb.jpg

post-6915-0-20433400-1296127807_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Nice work Peter.

Could have a touch of Whimsey about this in the Dean Forest with Berry Wiggins bitumen tanks and the odd Pannier shunting tank wagons about.

Look forwards to the next installment.

Cheers,

Mark

Nice work Peter.

Could have a touch of Whimsey about this in the Dean Forest with Berry Wiggins bitumen tanks and the odd Pannier shunting tank wagons about.

Look forwards to the next installment.

Cheers,

Mark

Hi Mark

The original idea actually came from one of our Cheona books Vol.4 Page 12 showing a photograph of Berry Wiggans yard at Whimsey. I have always liked this shot and the new layout will be based very loosely on this. Will post some more shots of the model tonight showing what has been done today and last night.

Peter

• RMweb Gold

Ah! Sussed you then Peter!:D

Seriously, Whimsey or a layout based around Whimsey sounds really good.

I've always thought Whimsey would make a nice layout and bring a different genre to the GWR/BR (WR) branchline.

I really like the work you've done on the steam pipes with some ingenious scratch building. Once the paint's on the weathering will bring all the detail out nicely.

Hope to see more later.;)

Cheers,

Mark

Hi all

Well here is how it stands at 6.00pm today. The large tanks are from Knightwing as are the four small ones on top of the stageing with the small vertical tank form Ratio. The tanks which will fit below the platform are four old bodies of Airfix tanker wagons. They are some 30 years old and have been in my scrape box. Most of the pipe fittings are from the Knightwing range with the rest of piping made up from old sprues and Plastruct rod.

Cheers

Peter

post-6915-0-92836600-1296157332_thumb.jpg

post-6915-0-74545100-1296157338_thumb.jpg

post-6915-0-29562300-1296157345_thumb.jpg

post-6915-0-15331700-1296157419_thumb.jpg

post-6915-0-82302800-1296157426_thumb.jpg

post-6915-0-11494700-1296157433_thumb.jpg

post-6915-0-25351700-1296157439_thumb.jpg

post-6915-0-13558000-1296157445_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Hi all

Not much work has been done over the weekend due to the water pump on the house being frozen up. In minus double figures outside.

Anyway what has been done is the plan which I will try and get posted to day. The layout now has a name. "Water Mill Halt". There is going to be at one end of the layout a small group oh buildings, Pub, Postoffice etc., with the single track railway coming in between them over a level crossing and then into a loop with a small halt and the point at the other end into a head shunt with the works sidings of this.

At the front of the layout a river with at the buildings end a river bridge with on the side of the river a watermill, hench the name "Water Mill Halt"

The location is going to be base on GWR lines (Like in the Forest of Dean)but with a twist that the LMS had running powers over the line, so that I can use some of my LMS engines and stock. Period is again in the early sixties to the end of steam and the green diesel era.

Will post some more.

Cheers Peter

• Like 1

Well and truly beaten to it!From the excellent S'oton exhibition on Saturday was purchased Vols 1 & 2 of "The Forest of Dean Branch" and further supplies of pipework and other accessories from Knightwing to gee up my GWR twig inspired by Whimsey.Look forward to some more photies s'ose I can crib your pipe runs!(Vol 2 of the above gives some super photies of the bitumen unloading facilities giving locations of tanks, heaters etc but no detail of pipe runs or exactly how the tanks were heated before discharge.)

I seem to recall that bitumen trains used to run to Cranmore (East Somerset Railway) until the mid 80's too. Don't know whether that gives any assistance or not?

Hi cromptonnut

Many thanks for the above. I have some shots of that way back in the 1970,s when I visited the line.

Hi Tim

Hope that you get yours on here soon.

Hi Barth

Many yhanks for that shot.Show me some detail of the filling rigs.

Anyway here is some more shots of the model has it was on before the weekend. Have been sorting out baseboaed material and hope to start on the fabrication of the three boards early next week.

Have still not drawn the full plan up yet ready to place on the web. hope to complete this in the next few days. In the mean time have been doing a few sketches of the small village buildings and the water mill but I keep changing my mind on what they should look like. Will most probably end up siting at the modelling bench and just making them as they come in my head.

Cheers

Peter

post-6915-0-65806700-1297017263_thumb.jpg

post-6915-0-29948200-1297017271_thumb.jpg

post-6915-0-48269500-1297017278_thumb.jpg

post-6915-0-32855100-1297017285_thumb.jpg

post-6915-0-66436800-1297017290_thumb.jpg

post-6915-0-44236300-1297017296_thumb.jpg

post-6915-0-44285500-1297017301_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Hi Peter,

Things have seriously progressed since I last looked-and very good it looks too.;)

Excellent work and look forward to the next post.

Cheers,

Mark

• RMweb Gold

I take it you'll be spraying the installation when you're ready?

Looking forward to seeing it!

steve

Should be great fun finishing the painting and plenty of scope for weathering. Looks very good. Watching with interest.

Should be great fun finishing the painting and plenty of scope for weathering. Looks very good. Watching with interest.

Hi Mudmagnet

Have realised tonight that I have to paint certain areas now before I go any further as I will not be able to get to them ie under the tanks in the double stage area and under the condensing unit.

Some will be sprayed and other areas will be hand painted. The weathering is going to take some time. I want it to be filthy with old oil, tar etc and also in certain parts of the tanks rust showing through.Will use weathering powders and easy rust to create the desired effect.

I will have to watch out that I dont paint it all because of glueing other items on.

Will post some shots when this is started but in the next few days must do some work on my Glen Gilly layout.

Regards

Peter

Hi Peter,

Do you have a size that you want this layout to be yet, or are you going to model around those impressive tanks you have built?

Colin

Hi Colin

Yes it is hoped that the final size will be 12ft long by 2ft 6inch wide with the scenic section in the middle being eight foot with each fiddle yard two foot at each end.

Cheers

Once again Peter your modelling skills and attention to detail have left me speechless. The pipework and associated plant are amazing and obviously been modelled to a very high standard. I love the feel of this already.

Missy :)

Peter,

The question is will you be able to recreate the smell associated with tar and creosote ? :D

Regards,

Dave

Hi Dave

Been thinking about that . I could take a large can or two of Bitumen to the show and take the lid off under the layout then place a couple of funnels upside down over the tops of the cans. To the other end of the funnels attach a small rubber tube which would protrude underneath the model on the layout. This would then let the fumes/smell waft from the plant.

It sounds great but some how I think that H&S would some how object to this.

Hi Missy

Many thanks for your comments. Still not as good as Highclere.

Cheers

Peter

Hi Colin

Yes it is hoped that the final size will be 12ft long by 2ft 6inch wide with the scenic section in the middle being eight foot with each fiddle yard two foot at each end.

Cheers

Thanks Peter, shall look forward to seeing this layout's progress. You are certainly prolific in building them.

Colin

Thanks Peter, shall look forward to seeing this layout's progress. You are certainly prolific in building them.

Colin

Hi Colin

I just love building models/layouts. At present I am also working on Glen Gilly which is on here in layouts also planning a new 12ft extension to the Porth Eithin layout which is the drying shed at the top of the line of which the base boards matl. has been cut and work on the track plans under way. Plus have drawn up a small! layout based on Porth Wem on the island of Anglesey which is a small brick works and I am putting in a small light railway.

Anyway here are a further few shots of the buildings for the oil works. I am cutting each corrugated sheet and gluing them on so that they will appear to be old and when weathered very rusty. Have still not finished the plan to up load on the web, will try and finish it this week.

Also stared the assembly of the three baseboards but have run out of ply. Will get some more when the winds have died down other wise the timber and car will be sailing in the Irish Sea.

Cheers

Peter

post-6915-0-42598200-1297284816_thumb.jpg

post-6915-0-73389500-1297284825_thumb.jpg

post-6915-0-41973800-1297284832_thumb.jpg

post-6915-0-51320600-1297284839_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mudmagnet

Have realised tonight that I have to paint certain areas now before I go any further as I will not be able to get to them ie under the tanks in the double stage area and under the condensing unit.

Some will be sprayed and other areas will be hand painted. The weathering is going to take some time. I want it to be filthy with old oil, tar etc and also in certain parts of the tanks rust showing through.Will use weathering powders and easy rust to create the desired effect.

I will have to watch out that I dont paint it all because of glueing other items on.

Will post some shots when this is started but in the next few days must do some work on my Glen Gilly layout.

Regards

Peter

That's a good point about getting access for painting - I hadn't considered that! At least the weathering can be built up over time.

Hi All

Here are a few shots of the plan for the layout. Sorry they are not too good but it will give you all some idea of what it will be like. The base boards that the plan is on or two off Glen Gillie which is ready for the track laying.

Any back to Water Mill halt. There is a loop of which a line comes off into the works head shunt which has a point to sever the two sidings in front of the tar / creosote filling points. I have also put a point of to a small siding which I am thinking of putting a small engine shed and a steam filling point so that I could use a small fireless locomotive for internal shunting. What I have in mind for this is using an old Dapol Pug and reversing the cylinders to the cab end and then build a new body onto the chassis. Any comments on this?

Also on the plans can be seen the layout drawing for the water mill at the village end, where the line will come into the layout from between some buildings to help shield the line from the fiddle yard. In the village will be a Pub (a must) shops and a few cottages.

Will keep you all posted

Peter

post-6915-0-95047800-1297513328_thumb.jpg

post-6915-0-46500300-1297513335_thumb.jpg

post-6915-0-50277500-1297513342_thumb.jpg

post-6915-0-73958500-1297513348_thumb.jpg

post-6915-0-29795800-1297513355_thumb.jpg

post-6915-0-07100400-1297513361_thumb.jpg

• Like 1