Kinsley Colliery - Project Update

Gallows Close

Hello Brian,

Sorry to go OT Gallows Close.

Is moorthorpe south the box by the bridge ?

Brian

No problem - please continue. I find it fascinating reading stories and anecdotes inspired by seeing a model.

To me, the fact that you see something that reminds you of the real location in my models is a feeling that I've succeeded in capturing the feel of the place properly.

Thanks, and best wishes,

Chris.

• Like 1

Hiya Brian,

Sorry to go OT Gallows Close.

Is moorthorpe south the box by the bridge ?,if so we used to regularly go there aswell I think my uncle new the signalman

.we used to park in the estate and walk up to the bridge next to the box.

Brian

Yes it is if you mean the footbridge to the South of the loops, I used to go in the box quite a bit as well.

You would have parked at the bottom of Langthwaite Grange estate and walked within sight of my house.

Sorry for not mentioning it recently, I do like the layout a lot, very evocative of the location, excellent work.

Hello Peter

How do your 142 run? My two are shocking.

Mine too!  I have managed to get one of the single motored ones running reasonably, but for the old twin motor ones a more radical solution is required.  I have a project in mind, whereby the wheelsets are all repalced for split axel ones with the ability then to install all wheel pick ups.  The idea is to concentrate on one motor, and make the other car as free running as possible and house the decoder.  Once I've worked it all out, I'll write it up.

Thanks, and best wishes,

Chris.

• Like 1

Hi both,

Have you considered de-motoring the 142 and adding lights to one end.  Once done permanently couple to either a Bachmann 150 or a Realtrack 144.  I have a GMPTE 142 that I am in the process of doing and will couple to a Merseyrail 150.

Just a suggestion.

Jeff

• Like 1

Hi Chris, loving the motive power updates. You have some lovely Type 5 traction there, right up my Straße, I know that you are in Holland but....you get what I am saying!

Lovely set of photos, I think a visit is definitely on the cards, especially with all those grids working out of Kingsley Colliery....nice!

077, what a beast....

Hello Peter

Mine too!  I have managed to get one of the single motored ones running reasonably, but for the old twin motor ones a more radical solution is required.  I have a project in mind, whereby the wheelsets are all repalced for split axel ones with the ability then to install all wheel pick ups.  The idea is to concentrate on one motor, and make the other car as free running as possible and house the decoder.  Once I've worked it all out, I'll write it up.

Thanks, and best wishes,

Chris.

Thanks Chris,

That would be great, I've been thinking of remotoring mine with a High Level Kits kit but I am not sure how well they work.

Cheers Peter

Thanks Gallows Close.

I'm surprised we haven't walked passed one another Royaloak ,I started spotting around there in the early 90's ,I believe I did get down that area before the leeds Donny line was electrified but can only remember it with wires .

In fact I was talking to my uncle yesterday about it and he showed me a picture of the class89 on a passenger going past where the line to south Kirby pit diverged behind was a mark1 in swallow livery(I think).

I also remember oil trains running down there aswell .

Brian

We probably have at some stage.

By 1990 I had got married and moved to Wakefield although I still visited my parents who lived on Broadway, South Elmsall.

With hindsight its a pity I didnt stick with railways! :jester:

Edited by royaloak

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Jeff

Have you considered de-motoring the 142 and adding lights to one end.  Once done permanently couple to either a Bachmann 150 or a Realtrack 144.

Thanks for the suggestion, it is one I have considered. The main problem with the Hornby class 142 is that it is not free running. The electrical pick ups act like brakes. Eliminate the effect from that, and I think the mechanism will be able to transmit its power more effectively to the track. That's the idea anyway.... Un- motored and free running would also be a massive improvement.

Thanks, and best wishes,

Chris.

Hello Brian

I was talking to my uncle yesterday about it and he showed me a picture of the class89 on a passenger going past where the line to south Kirby pit diverged behind was a mark1 in swallow livery(I think).

Do you remember any MGRs at South Kirkby? They used to run round at Moorthorpe to access to pit. I think it closed in 1989 with coal clearance carrying on in to the early '90's. Frickley was also a hotspot for class 56's and MGRs - happy times!

Thanks, and best wishes,

Chris.

Hi Gallows Close

I do remember the MGRs/HAA's going full out of South Kirby ,that would be at the back end probably coal clearance , (early 90's)but I remember loaded MGR's of what ive been told were spoil from Gascoigne wood ,

by all accounts they didn't get permission to dump it up there so sent it to South Kirby and I think it was mostly 56's on them from what I remember.

Brian

• Like 1

Thanks Branchie! Glad you like it.

Hello Brian, apparently the good people of North Yorkshire objected during the planning phase for Selby to the abhorrent thought of a slag heap in their shire. Shale trains to other sites were the result, and must have added to the complex's running costs. Another nail in the coffin of British Coal.

Best wishes,

Chris.

• 2 weeks later...

I now have sufficient HAA wagons or their equivalent for a second rake.  Tonight I have spent a happy evening cutting off tension lock couplers and replacing Hornby's rail rollers with something a little finer.

post-6842-0-41885100-1410636876_thumb.jpg

That's twenty-two wagons this evening!  Tomorrow I'm hoping to fit Smiths instanter couplers to each wagon.  The end wagons from the rake will also be fitted with air pipes and tail tail lights.

The idea is to have one rake entirely composed of HAA's, and the second a mixed rake of HAA, HBA and HFA wagons for a little variety.

Thanks for looking in, and best wishes,

Chris.

Edited by Gallows Close
  • Like 6

Another motive power project has almost reached completion.  On the bench for a few months now has been the class 20 project.  The idea was to create four locos which survived on coal traffic until 1991.  With one donor loco, plus two blue, one green and a Railfreight example I have created two typical pairings from the period.

post-6842-0-53580000-1410890700_thumb.jpg

First up 20052.  Bogies have been filled to create the flueted type without holes.  One disc survives on the nose, and the paintwork is very work stained.

post-6842-0-35904400-1410890703_thumb.jpg

Second 20177, a straightforward re-number this time.  No modifications to the flueted, drilled bogies.

post-6842-0-07274900-1410890708_thumb.jpg

20090, a standard Bachmann model, with bogies swapped as per prototype. At the cab end a flueted bogie with no holes, and at the nose end a flat beam bogie.  The holes where the plastic headcode discs should fit have been filled as the prototype was without.

post-6842-0-34615300-1410890711_thumb.jpg

Last 20143, as portrayed in mid 1991 with snow ploughs and mixed bogie types.  Still to varnish.

All of the modified bogies are still to weather, and the last two locos definately will need faded paint and a bit of road dirt.  But that is what makes a model, become all the more real.

I also will batch build a set of buffer beam pipes for the four - I do not like the Bachmann MW jumpers at all, and find their vac pipes a bit thin.  So I prefer to make my own.

The locos all have ESU LokSound chips on board.

Thanks for looking in, and any comments much appreciated.

Best wishes,

Chris.

• Like 7

Really looking forward to seeing the 20's in action I bet they sound great .

One day I'm going to get a pair for my layout it'll be nice to have them whistling away in a siding while I play trains lol

Brian

• 4 weeks later...

Hello All,

I'm calling the class 20 project finished.  The last loco 20143 has been reassembled and weathered to reflect a well faded and work stained loco from the early 1990's.

Here she is!

post-6842-0-36385900-1413114775_thumb.jpg

I have already made a start on the next project - a Class 114 parcels DMU.  I'll be detailing the construction of that one on my workbench thread.

Thanks for looking in, and best wishes,

Chris.

Edited by Gallows Close
  • Like 5

Hello,

Thanks David, I always appreciate your comments.

With the class 20 project finished I thought a short video might be in order.

Class 20's (090 and 143) arrive light from Doncaster to pick up the afternoon trip working of domestic coal for Healey Mills. The pair stop by the trailing crossover before reversing in to the colliery headshunt. Meanwhile the resident class 08 emerges from the rapid loader with a single loaded HEA and waits as the choppers run on to the adjacent line and stop. The 08 then shunts the HEA on to the locos and shuffles off. The train then propels back in to the headshunt and departs northwards.

http://youtu.be/E_KucRv1L94

Thanks for watching, and I hope you enjoyed it.

Best wishes,

Chris.

• Like 9