Kinsley Colliery - Project Update

Gallows Close

Hello,

Thanks for all the comments about the video - I'd like to make another lineside film in the coming weeks.  In the mean time I fancied a quick project to while away a wet day.

I have a Mk IV (Intercity 225) set, but I've always been disappointed with the way Hornby dealt with underframe fairing at the coach ends and I'd like a bit closer coupling than the clunky tension lock offers.  So out with the mini drill to see what I could achieve.

First - detach the bogies from the coach

post-6842-0-63822400-1413742322_thumb.jpg

The bogie can then be dismantled.  Keep the screw!  The fairing can then be cut in to three equal bits. 

post-6842-0-74211700-1413742326_thumb.jpg

The tension lock can also be cut off the bogie - Be careful not to nick the wheels with the cutting disk.

post-6842-0-02243100-1413742333_thumb.jpg

The gap between the fairing and the coach body needs to be filled.  It is a 2mm gap, and the coach floor is also recessed.  I cut a rectangle of 2mm plasicard and stuck it to the coupling end of the coach.  Mean while the two outer pieces of fairing were attached to 2mm sqaure section Evergreen strip and left to dry.  The coach end was then reassembled.

post-6842-0-82644800-1413742419_thumb.jpg

I chose to use a Kadee coupler, and this was mounted directly onto the plasticard filler and glued.  The salvaged Hornby screw was then attached for extra security. The bogie can then be added.

post-6842-0-61171100-1413742436_thumb.jpg

Turning the other way up, the Evergreen strip can be trimmed to match the fairing profile.

post-6842-0-05046000-1413742446_thumb.jpg

Paint, and couple up.

post-6842-0-17113500-1413742452_thumb.jpg

Finally for comparison, the original tension lock coupled coaches are behind, and the new arrangement to the front.

post-6842-0-29806500-1413742456.jpg

Thanks for looking in, and best wishes,

Chris.

• Like 8

Hello Royal Oak

Did you turn the bogies around as well just like BR did after reports of rough riding?

The Hornby bogie is modelled as originally introduced to service.

I haven't done that. I am not sure when those modifications were made, and they may post date my layout timescale. Any ideas when the turn was implemented?

Thanks and best wishes,

Chris

Edited by Gallows Close

Hi Chris,

A little 'tweak' to 20090. maybe ?

It acquired '90' on at least the cab end before August 1992. Whether it was for this trip or not I don't know - but someone will I'm sure.

20090,20132 Manchester Victoria 8th August 1992

post-1161-0-56654900-1414258150_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks Derek,

A little 'tweak' to 20090. maybe ?

It acquired '90' on at least the cab end before August 1992. Whether it was for this trip or not I don't know - but someone will I'm sure.

I have 20090 still to weather a bit more - and I'd seen the little '90 on another photo - so that is a little tweak I'm considering along with the fresh paint where the Railfreight logo once was. Photos to come.

Over the weekend I had the camera out again. I filmed a typical 1991 sequence.

http://youtu.be/CIvnr-7TmZk

Enjoy!

Best wishes,

Chris.

• Like 10

Great video ,love the head gear poking out above the colliery building and the selection of trains perfect for the area

Brian

Edited by bri.s

Hi Chris, superb video. Lovely stuff, great period to model with equally great stock.

After seeing your two 31s in action, I think you should consider modelling something similar to this at Kinsley Colliery:

8881711796_2686735ea4.jpg31126 and 31207 Lindsey Oil Refinery to Leeds Oil Terminal at Knabbs Bridge, 1993 by sjparrott1971, on Flickr

5523050447_0c1dcdb6c5.jpg31205 and 31126 take the Lindsey to Leeds oil tanks through Stainforth & Hatfield at 14:50. by jezdgould, on Flickr

I can just imagine your 31132 and a Petroleum 31 thrashing passed on some bogie tanks…..

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Hello Royal Oak

I haven't done that. I am not sure when those modifications were made, and they may post date my layout timescale. Any ideas when the turn was implemented?

Thanks and best wishes,

Chris

Within the first year or two of operation I believe.

• 1 month later...

Hello David, and all

Thanks for your message - A great Christmas was celebrated here thanks.  As it happens I have been enjoying a few evenings updating more old stuff.  I have dug out my old Hornby class 91 and made a start in reactivating this loco. As I'm busy with the Mk IV coaches, I though it was high time I did something with the loco too.   It has received a Bachmann drive and quite a lot of additional weight as well as lights and a Hurst models BWHSP.

post-6842-0-90593300-1419783254_thumb.jpg

Still to do are the couplings and air pipes, the glazing over the light clusters, wipers and the fairing at the number two end.  I will also super detail the pantograph bay.

As it is Christmas - a railtour wouldn't go a miss I thought.......

post-6842-0-24376500-1419783358_thumb.jpg

Class 400012 heads north with the "Yultide Collier"  taking in Maltby, Kellingley, Frickley and South Kirkby Collieries and giving a 'toot toot' as it passes Kinsley.

Another project almost completed - apart from suitable wheels is the class 142 reactivation. 

post-6842-0-45279000-1419783558_thumb.jpg

142078 and 153315 head south with a local train during late 1992.

Finally, what if.....  Kinsley is almost the last deep mine in the country, let alone the Doncaster area - Kellingley and Hatfield survive with it.  Freightliner have the contract to supply coal to the local power generators.

post-6842-0-98480000-1419783665_thumb.jpg

Class 70006 propels empty HHA's through the loader.

Thanks for looking in, and hope you like the updates.

Best wishes,

Chris.

• Like 6

As it is Christmas - a railtour wouldn't go a miss I thought.......

Class 400012 heads north with the "Yultide Collier"  taking in Maltby, Kellingley, Frickley and South Kirkby Collieries and giving a 'toot toot' as it passes Kinsley.

Hi Chris,

Just need a few enthusiasts leaning out of windows now... either that or its ECS for the railtour :D

Great model of Aureol.

Cheers

Lee

• Like 1

Hi Chris,

Just need a few enthusiasts leaning out of windows now... either that or its ECS for the railtour :D

Great model of Aureol.

Cheers

Lee

Hello Lee,

May be the Gricers were better behaved back then..... Aureol was withdrawn in February 1985 - Just noticed the HEA loaded in the background, the sidings should have been empty.

Thanks for looking in, and best wishes,

Chris.

Hello all,

A bit of quiet time over the last couple of days has allowed me to make a start with some of the many signs and notices needed for the layout.  They are all home made using Crafty transfer paper and scraps of plasticard.

post-6842-0-34302100-1420039872_thumb.jpg

First up, the rapid loader now proudly announces it is the property of British Coal

post-6842-0-55767300-1420039913_thumb.jpg

A total of four different speed boards have been made and mounted on brass tube.  In the backgroud the OLE warning board can be glimpsed.

post-6842-0-14862400-1420039982_thumb.jpg

Lastly, all of the signals have gained an 'L' prefixed signal number plate - approximating to the actual area and signal number sequence.  I have also added a warning to signal L 638 stating that drivers of electric trains cannot enter the colliery complex.

Thanks for looking in,

Best wishes to all for 2015,

Chris.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi Chris,

I have been following this topic with great interest, especially the Colliery buildings, etc. Where did you get the steps for the winding structures? (Way back in 2011)

Cheers

Peter

Hello Peter,

The steps for the headgear came from a gentleman who writes under the name Ifor Coggan on the Welsh Coal Mines Forum 

http://www.welshcoalmines.co.uk/forum/index.php

Ifor is a skilled modeller, and had the etches made up for his own colliery model - I contacted him through the forum and he kindly produced a set of etchs for me.

Best wishes,

Chris

• 2 months later...

Hello All,

With the fine weather finally upon us, I have been able to spend more time in the railway shed.  This means scenery.  I have tidied up the baseboard edge along the viewing side, adding fences and bushes, as well as attending to a couple of other details.

post-6842-0-12253800-1431847042_thumb.jpg

I have also made a start on the Lowfield Road bridge which crosses the railway at the Leeds end of the layout.  The brickwork requires painting to match the prototype, but I think the weathered girder span has come out quite well.  As you can see I have also added a concrete span to allow the colliery lines to pass under the road.

post-6842-0-49676100-1431847182_thumb.jpg

Lowfield Road also has a structural function,  it is the anchor point for the OLE.  With this finally fixed I have added the catenary wire and droppers to the OLE.  This just leaves the return cables to add to each side.  As these are required to sag between the masts I'm planning to try single strand black knicker elastic (still working up the confidence to ask for this in the haberdashery shop in Dutch).

The A628 bridge across the line at the southern end is next, but I'm struggling for photos of that one.

As a last mini-project I have detailed the area around signal L634.  This signal controls the exit from the colliery complex to the headshunt, and is capable of showing Red, Yellow and Red + two white 'cat's eyes'.  Steps have been added to allow access up the embankment, and the brick base has been weathered and detailed.  Lastly a warning to drivers and staff of the proximity of the overhead line has been added.

post-6842-0-29350800-1431847682_thumb.jpg

With all this going on, there had to be some playing.  I have included the latest lineside video below.  With the scenics coming along a new vantage point has become available.  This video assumes the photographer is standing on th footpath by the A628 looking north.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ljW_HS66x4

Thanks for looking in, best wishes,

Chris.

Edited by Gallows Close
  • Like 10