Kinsley Colliery - Project Update

Gallows Close

Hello All,

Thanks for the comments, I rather like the pair of 31's myself.  It is nice to do up old stuff, there is a great deal of pleasure in firstly the research, and then the challenge of making something that's (let's face it) at least 20 years old look pretty good.

The Power Hall has now been re-assembled as one unit and is already looking much better now that it is true and square. (Just wondering what that Warship is doing lurking there in the background?)

post-6842-0-04804900-1405620989.jpg

I have also rigged up for a "test plonk" to check everything still fits the hole on the base boards.

post-6842-0-66219100-1405621055.jpg

post-6842-0-92824900-1405621069.jpg

Now to get on with the roof and the rest of the brick detailing, and then......  

Thanks, and best wishes,

Chris.

Edited by Gallows Close
  • Like 7

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

Time for a motive power update.  The latest additions to the type 5 fleet are now almost ready for the road.  Large Logo Blue 56113 has been weathered and chipped, and the thirty-quid second hand 56100 has been back dated from Loadhaul orange, and transformed into 56067 in triple grey.  With all this done, I could not resist a type 5 line up. 

post-6842-0-94039600-1407606430.jpg

Here is 56067 - just awaiting couplings and air pipes, plus a quick weather to complete.

post-6842-0-62547100-1407606436.jpg

Front to rear are 56113 (LLB), 58037 (Railfreight Grey), 56077 (Railfreight Grey), 56067 (Triple Grey), 56080 (Triple Grey) and 58014 (Triple Grey)

post-6842-0-31734000-1407606441.jpg

Shades of Knottingley! Last up, an artistic shot.

You can almost smell the diesel fumes!

Thanks, and best wishes,

Chris.

Edited by Gallows Close
  • Like 10

Hello David,

Thanks for the kind comments.  Perhaps a new video is in order.....

(Just wondering what that Warship is doing lurking there in the background?)

NCB must of purchased it as a shunter........... :nono:

The class 42 belongs to one of my daughters. But, shall we see what it looks like in the hands of the NCB?

post-6842-0-16821600-1407679434.jpg

post-6842-0-68155900-1407679438.jpg

Nahh, Not right!  Besides the lack of air brakes, I'm sure the boys at the ELR would have had her away years go.  I think I'm sticking with the outbased 08.

Thanks, and best wishes,

Chris.

• Like 2

Hi Chris,

Just been catching up on your thread. I remember following your progress over a year ago, The class 31s are looking good, I put an old Lima body on a Hornby chassis last year and I am really pleased with how it looks. I notice your class 56s are the Mainline /Dapol models which I have always thought looked pretty good are they remotored or still running on the old motor?

Cheers Peter.

Hello Peter,

Thanks for dropping in..  At the speed I model, in a year you don't miss much!  Feel free to post your class 31 on here if you wish - I'd like to see it.

Just been catching up on your thread. I remember following your progress over a year ago, 

I notice your class 56s are the Mainline /Dapol models which I have always thought looked pretty good are they remotored or still running on the old motor?

The class 56's seem to have generated some interest.  They are all based on the Mainline model, and most are running with their original motor combined with an ESU Lok Pilot and are quite satisfactory in this form.  I have modified all, including making the headlights independent of direction - Coal trains propelling always show a head light, even when reversing - and using 56077 below as an example I have painted the 'gaps' on the bogies and underframes black to hide the solid moulding where there should be fresh air.  One thing I'm going to try is attaching a piece of checker plate under the cab doors to hide the body mounting clip. Air hoses and a Smiths screw coupling have been added to complete.

post-6842-0-02827300-1407778014.jpg

Number 56080 has always been something of a pet, being one of my oldest locos, and one of the first full repaints I did.  It started as 56001 in trainload construction livery back in 1988. 

post-6842-0-66116800-1407778020.jpg

Recently I re-powered it with a Heljan class 47 motor and drive train as an experiment.  The bogie wheel spacing was altered, and the class 56 side frames added to the gearbox sides.  Inside an new cradle was made for the motor, and new mounts made for the bogie pivots.  It runs like a dream, however it is a bit of a featherweight as I cannot get any more metal in there to ballast it down.  It will handle about 20 empty HAA's without too much trouble, but loaded and you can forget it.  I'll not repower another.

post-6842-0-19308100-1407778025.jpg

I hope this is of interest.

Thanks, and best wishes,

Chris.

Edited by Gallows Close
  • Like 4

Thanks Chris,

They do look good and if you can get them running well why spend a shed load of money on a newer one.

Here's my Ped. James had a thread going on how he did his I just copied. Though I used the the Hornby PCB board to power my lights. 

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-14603200-1407828305_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-44030400-1407828353_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Smashing layout - I find myself ridiculously enthralled by actual working loading hoppers.

I noticed you and the Maxwell chap were commenting on trimming the load.  See how this chap did it here, using a shaped and movable extension to the chute.  Works well, and gives a properly trimmed load on one pass.  I'm guessing yours would have to be mounted adjacent to the actual clam shells though, and not be part of the load out chute.

Interesting to see how - with the addition of actually loading the HAAs - even a simple set of moves becomes slower, more interesting and authentic.

Hello Doctor,

That is a very nice link you have sent.  Very similar to how the big boys did it at certain collieries.  The link below is for the RLB at Sharlston Colliery.  The RLB is featured at 10mins and 50 seconds.

http://youtu.be/SUchDL-d60k

My model is based on a different type of RLB design.  An example of the type I have built is seen on this video of Silverwood Colliery.  The RLB in action can be briefely seen at 6mins and 12 seconds.  Loading is quite taxing on the concentration, and care is needed as the rear of the wagon fills faster than the front.  The Sharlston loader design makes for a much more even load, but how to make it work like that in model form?  I'd have to start all over again.

http://youtu.be/0U8h48C8ZYE

I do agree with you, this type of thing is always facinating to watch.

Hello Peter,

Thanks for posting your class 31 - very nice.  Are you doing any more?

Bes wishes,

Chris.

• Like 1

Hello Peter,

Thanks for posting your class 31 - very nice.  Are you doing any more?

Bes wishes,

Chris.

Hi Chris,

I don't plan too, I have a few Hornby class 31s that are finished and one in bits. I wouldn't mind  doing one in red Stripe livery at some point though.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-42482100-1407844125_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Hello Chris

Catching up with the layout and enjoying the latest developments and photos. Like the Type5 power lineup!

That's also a lot of useful info in post 183.

I've got five old Class 56s and a new layout underway to run them on. They haven't turned a wheel for years but I was hoping to keep them as they're old favourites of mine, so it's good to see you've got them running on Kinsley.

Alan

Hello Alan,

I've got five old Class 56s and a new layout underway to run them on. They haven't turned a wheel for years but I was hoping to keep them as they're old favourites of mine, so it's good to see you've got them running on Kinsley.

The old Mainline  / Dapol / Hornby class 56 is not a bad loco at all.  For a modest outlay a decent model can be made.  One tip I didn't mention in post 183 is that if you do chip the loco, either change out the filament bulbs for the headlights to LEDs , or make sure you reduce the voltage / brightness CV .  The bulbs get very hot, and can melt the plastic lighting conduits.

Good luck,

Chris.

Hello Alan,

The old Mainline  / Dapol / Hornby class 56 is not a bad loco at all.  For a modest outlay a decent model can be made.  One tip I didn't mention in post 183 is that if you do chip the loco, either change out the filament bulbs for the headlights to LEDs , or make sure you reduce the voltage / brightness CV .  The bulbs get very hot, and can melt the plastic lighting conduits.

Good luck,

Chris.

Hi Chris

Thanks for the extra information. I find the idea of full DCC a bit daunting but would really like to fit sound units. They really do bring the locos, and a layout, to life. The whole DCC concept is a great mystery to me, as someone who stopped 00 gauge modelling around 1998-9.

However there's a new layout topic to start and locos to test so I'll let you know how I get on with the old 56s.

post-13274-0-81924900-1407943649.jpg

Here they are - 126/116/131? and 076. . Hope you don't mind me briefly highjacking Kinsley.

The 5th one is RF red stripe, boxed "as new".

Alan

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Wow!

I'm seriously impressed, not sure how I've managed to miss your layout thread so far, will be following from now on. 

Coal and AC electrics, superb combination :)

Andi

• Like 1

Thanks Andi, glad you like it - Although it is far from complete, I do think it is coming together.

I decided that today should be a running day, and I was also lineside with my camera. Here's what was running with the layout in 1990 mode.

post-6842-0-69486500-1408280202.jpg

Arriving from Milford Junction is 56113 with empties. Passing is a King's Cross to Leeds HST with 43178 leading and 43051 on the rear - Next stop Wakefield Westgate.

post-6842-0-94247100-1408280208.jpg

As 56113 propels its empties back through the weigh bridge and rapid loader, class 142's 078 and 048 pass with a Leeds to Doncaster local train - Next stop South Elmsall.

post-6842-0-00387200-1408280215.jpg

It is not everyday you get a view like this. Taken from the top of the north pit headgear class 56113 can just be seen entering the rapid loader. To the left of the loco can be seen the fan evase and power hall for the colliery.

post-6842-0-03938200-1408280219.jpg

Back on the embankment, 56113 has detached from its rake of HAAs and is drawing forward to run round. Passing northbound 31119 has charge of a vacuum braked engineer's trip from Doncaster Decoy to Holbeck.

post-6842-0-61986400-1408280228.jpg

Passing southbound 47455 has charge of a Leeds to Bristol parcels working.

post-6842-0-19218100-1408281555.jpg

Running northbound, as the MGR train is propelled back through the loader is 307130 working a Doncaster to Leeds train - The brakes have just been applied for the booked stop at Fitzwilliam.

post-6842-0-33173800-1408280234.jpg

Hot on the heals of the parcels, 47487 leads an Edinburgh to Bournemouth cross country train - Next stop Doncaster.

post-6842-0-36781300-1408280243.jpg

A veteran campaigner, in the shape of a class 101 power twin is still picking up speed from its stop at Fitzwilliam on a Leeds to Sheffield service - Next stop Moorthorpe. In the background 56113 has almost finished loading, and is pushing back in to the headshunt ready to depart for Eggborough PS.

post-6842-0-14282300-1408280251.jpg

Running off its usual stamping grounds in the Calder Valley, 155342 has been pressed in to service on a Leeds to Doncaster train - Next stop South Elmsall. Meanwhile 56080 hurries northbound with empty HAAs running back to Knottingley.

post-6842-0-46408000-1408280256.jpg

A real treat saved for last. A light engine convoy comprising 58014, 56067 and 56077.

I hope you like the photos!

Best wishes,

Chris.

Edited by Gallows Close
  • Like 14

Great set of pictures,

they remind me of my spotting days around moorthorpe sat on top of a hill next to where south Kirby pit was watching the leeds to Donny line .

Brian 

Edited by bri.s
  • Like 1

Great set of pictures,

they remind me of my spotting days around moorthorpe sat on top of a hill next to where south Kirby pit was watching the leeds to Donny line .

Brian 

I wasnt too far away from you as I lived near Moorthorpe South signalbox.

Edit-

I Hope the next call for the 101 on the Leeds to Sheffield train is Moorthorpe station!

Edited by royaloak
  • Like 1

I Hope the next call for the 101 on the Leeds to Sheffield train is Moorthorpe station!

Hello Royal Oak, you are correct. The train will take the Sheffield line at South Kirkby Junction. I think there has been a bit too much copy and paste going on earlier!

Thanks, and best wishes,

Chris.

Sorry to go OT Gallows Close.

Is moorthorpe south the box by the bridge ?,if so we used to regularly go there aswell I think my uncle new the signalman

.we used to park in the estate and walk up to the bridge next to the box.

Brian

Edited by bri.s