Kinsley Colliery - Project Update

Gallows Close

Very nice work Chris, I really enjoyed the video. Always nice to see some chopper action on HAAs. Love the rapid loader.

The passing trains really finish it off, especially the EMUs.

Any chance of some Grid action next please?!!!

Thanks for sharing your video, keep up the good work.

Brilliant. Video really shows the work you have put into this project. Have followed this since the beginning and comparing it to my own loading tower. The detail of the mechanical doors etc that you have built are way beyond my skills. Mine of course is manually loaded through a chute. Interesting to see your more 'even' loading of each wagon compared to those on The Maxwell Colliery Loading Point which is very much dependant on the skills of the operator. Keep up with the updates. Max

Hello Lewis,

What couplings do you use for the HAAs and the 20s?

I have standardized on Smiths couplings for all wagon stock.  On the HAA's they are all Smiths instanter type, and on the locomotives I use Smiths screw couplings.  Careful track planning ensures that there is no buffer-lock whilst propelling the train.

Brilliant. Video really shows the work you have put into this project. Have followed this since the beginning and comparing it to my own loading tower. The detail of the mechanical doors etc that you have built are way beyond my skills. Mine of course is manually loaded through a chute. Interesting to see your more 'even' loading of each wagon compared to those on The Maxwell Colliery Loading Point which is very much dependant on the skills of the operator. Keep up with the updates. Max

Thank you Max.  I have also been following your progress too.  I find it fascinating that two similar projects run simultaneously with different ways of tackling the same thing.  I love your loader and the way it sits in the countryside.  For the loading process I'm going to try filling the wagons first on the push through, and then trimming the load on the run back through.  The evenness of the load is very much dependant on the slow running qualities of the train engine, and the operation of the clam shell doors.  I doesn't always go well!

I intend to have another go at a short video over the holidays (this was one a first) attempting to paint the scene a bit better, and sorting out the depth of field on the camera (EOS 60D).

Thanks again to everyone for all the comments and feedback, and my very warmest wishes to you for Christmas and New Year.

Chris.

Great modelling on an industry which has been rarely convincing modelled at the coal mining end. The real area is now a country park but some of the old but newer buildings are still there. If you ever consider adding smellorama the turkey farm at mucking out time was always a smell to behold!

Hello Lewis,

The great thing about the track layout is that all coupling and uncoupling is carried out off scene.  The locos can be uncoupled before propelling the train to the run round point, then it looks like they have detached without intervention.  Likewise, once on the other end of the train they can be coupled up off scene too.

Best wishes,

Chris.

Thanks again for all the comments.

Encouraged by the feedback from the short video earlier in the thread I have made another.  The thing with this layout is that it tells the story of the colliery and it's interaction with the railway, and that was covered with the first video.  So, what to do next?  I have decided to focus on the main line for this film, and here you can see some of the typical Leeds to Doncaster trains. 

http://youtu.be/MJ1rW-KM2Lo

Sadly the layout was having one of it's moments today so I was unable to present as much variety as I'd hoped, but please feel free to pass comment or feedback.  From now on its back to plain old model making (can't play all the time :nono: )

Best wishes,

Chris.

• Like 9

Superb Chris, I can only echo the previous comments. Loving all the action at Kingsley colliery.

Any chance that you could fit in a small playing session in between modelling and capture some more video for us please?!!

Nice to see an Original Railfreight 58. I did really like them in that livery.

• 6 months later...

Hello All,

With the holidays started, I managed to get on with a few jobs on the layout.  First up the power house.  I had originally designed this building to bridge the split on the baseboards, with the roof line being the divide between the two boards and the two halves of the building.  To be honest, it never really worked, and it was a constant source of disappointment.  So, I removed the building, and I'm in the process of making it in to one complete unit.  It will then plant back in its original hole.

post-6842-0-87145300-1405499034.jpg

The two main walls have been strengthened, and a floor will be added to allow representation of some of the winding machinery, compressors and auxiliary equipment.   have some photos of the inside of the power house at Taff Merthyr and also Penallta to use as guidence.

post-6842-0-41067900-1405499131.jpg

I have also rebuilt the roof sections with pantiles.

post-6842-0-22603700-1405499170.jpg

The locomotive fleet has also not been neglected.  Entering service after a very long absence is 56113.  This loco survived in large logo blue until 1992 as far as I can tell before going triple grey, and so is perfect for my modelling period.  Here she is looking slightly careworn.

post-6842-0-28939400-1405499317.jpg

Another class 56 has entered the works, and will emerge as 56072 in railfreight triple grey.  She was repainted in 1989 and again is perfect for my chosen period.  The class 31 that was on the bench has also entered service as 31119.  This is a Lima model which started out as a triple grey example and has had the motor disabled and a function only decoder fitted.  It will run in multiple with 31132, and so will not require a motor.

post-6842-0-83298300-1405499529.jpg

More updates on the power house project soon.

Thanks, and best wishes,

Chris.

Edited by Gallows Close
  • Like 4