RMWeb 2010 Challenge

Kenton

2010 Layout Challenge  

222 members have voted

1. 1. If we agreed a layout challenge for 2010 would you take part?

• Probably/Possibly
    • Probably not
    • It would depend on the final criteria
    • Definitely not

• RMweb Premium

It just so happens that I have been plotting such a mini layout for a while now and actually started work on it today! Partially inspired by our glorious leader's "Keyhaven" it is to be a quayside scene, GCR in area and period, with a timber fish shed as the main feature. As it has to be ready for an exhibition in May I (and my co-conspiritor Ken) will need to get our collective fingers out but it does mean that we should be ready for judgement day! Not really got my head around the new forum set up yet but once there are some pics of something to show, I will get a thread started!

It just so happens that I have been plotting such a mini layout for a while now and actually started work on it today! Partially inspired by our glorious leader's "Keyhaven" it is to be a quayside scene, GCR in area and period, with a timber fish shed as the main feature. As it has to be ready for an exhibition in May I (and my co-conspiritor Ken) will need to get our collective fingers out but it does mean that we should be ready for judgement day! Not really got my head around the new forum set up yet but once there are some pics of something to show, I will get a thread started!

Knowing your work so well (and well done for a superb article in MRJ recently), I look forward to seeing your entry Tony - I hope my entry's half as good, albeit completely different :)

Just a quickie that i don't think I've seen summed up in the thread, with the fiddle yard, if cassettes are used, is it the combined area of the cassettes that counts, or does the area of any shelf or protrusion to support them count too? If it's the latter, I may have to come up with an ingenious method of supporting the end of a cassette

cheers

jo

• RMweb Gold

I think it's just the area of the cassette itself, but only when connected - i.e. you can have several cassettes on a large table, but only the one attached counts in the calculation for the baseboard area,and not what supports it..

I think...

Stu

A question regarding fiddle yards, in light of the above cassette comments... presumably a plain 'stock table', separate from the layout, for any trains not in use on the layout is permitted, as I guess any number of cassettes may be used as long as when attached one (or more) remain within the 2010 sq in?

Just a quickie that i don't think I've seen summed up in the thread, with the fiddle yard, if cassettes are used, is it the combined area of the cassettes that counts, or does the area of any shelf or protrusion to support them count too?

As per rules

Removable storage (such as cassettes) is permitted, provided they do not increase the layout's size beyond the maximum when connected. Likewise movable storage (such as traversers, turntables, and sector plates) must not increase the layout's size beyond the maximum when the tracks are aligned.

So the table that supports the FY (like the table that supports the layout) can be as big as you like and has no bearing on the layout (other than supporting it) - Assuming that the FY is (like most) off scene.

The FY itself - cassette, sector plate, traverser - usually only have one physical track connected at any point to the layout proper to be operated - the spare cassette, alternate roads on SP or traverser are brought into the layout by removing a (usually equal sized) road, which is why only one road counts.

If you present a layout with a cassette included that is only long enough for a loco - that will obviously affect judgment on "operation" if you then claim 6 coaches and a loco will be exchanged on it.

I know this obviously favours the cassette/SP/traverser approach to FY rather than a point ladder.

I know this obviously favours the cassette/SP/traverser approach to FY rather than a point ladder.

No reason why you can't build your one cassette to make the principle work then later go on to build a more substantial fiddle yard after the challenge is over though.

Will Westerleigh fit in that space in N Jo? wink.gif

I hadn't thought of that Martyn, though now you say it......laugh.gif

A full train would be 14.5 ft long - so how wide could I make the layout and have some sidings to shunt? wink.gif

40ft long (480 inches) x 4" wide boards (1920 sq in) sufficient...?

Two sidings in 4" is, presumably, classed as plural?

Right, so bearing in mind that :

• I've no time to do it.
  • I've no money to do it.
  • I've no space to do it.
  • I've no skills to do it.
  • I hate working to dead lines.
  • I make Captain Slow look hyperactive.

Why oh why do I have this strange compunction to submit an entry??

Must be mad, although I might let the dust settle a little before chucking my hat in the ring.

40ft long (480 inches) x 4" wide boards (1920 sq in) sufficient...?

Two sidings in 4" is, presumably, classed as plural?

Oh so it's do-able then, with a minimalist track plan. No no, must stick to the original plan laugh.gif

cheers

jo

Well James, you know what to do.

Design and get the framework built before the CFO realises.. :D

Khris

(CFO....Chief Financial Officer)

Neither has mine - but then she never looks at RMWeb. And I can only hope that when laddo pops home from uni this weekend he will keep his mouth shut and that if daughter gets fed up with writing her thesis and moves up from RMWeb3 she too will keep schtumm ;)

But I did actually ask and she didn't say no! The main concern was how much space it would need - and the beauty of the challenge is that it shouldn't take up much space!

Just stuck between about four possible ideas (a previous photo from me could give one scenario) - none of which are directly connected with any current activities. A change I think would be good for this...

Out of curiosity...... is there a deadline for starting and publicising the start and therefore entry to the challenge? I can plan on the back of a fag packet and build stock but until house issues are resolved commiting to build is not currently practical.

• RMweb Gold

Out of curiosity...... is there a deadline for starting and publicising the start and therefore entry to the challenge? I can plan on the back of a fag packet and build stock but until house issues are resolved commiting to build is not currently practical.

Check this from our leader! Late starters have only a shorter time to finish, no other formalities seem to be needed.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/3347-starting-off/

Check this from our leader! Late starters have only a shorter time to finish, no other formalities seem to be needed.

http://www.rmweb.co....7-starting-off/

Ta muchly - missed that bit/failed to register it/am now the world's worst skim-reader.

Right back to the minimalist fag-packet/chewing gum wrapper design system.

Hi,

I have a question about part of rule 1

"Entry in the challenge is open to all active (as in must have made some posts in the forum) members of www.rmweb.co.uk."

I've been reading the forum for some years, but have never posted as I thought I'd start once I actually started to construct something. My wife likes to remind me about it on regular occasions as the rolling stock, track and digitrax system that I bought 3 years ago have never been used.

This would be an ideal incentive to actually do something rather than just think about it and get involved. Can I be eligible or have I missed the boat?

Kind Regards

Keith

Can I be eligible or have I missed the boat?

You'd be most welcome Keith; that rule is more intended to prevent someone coming in at the end of the competition with a 'here's one I made earlier' that has no build history behind it.

Can I be eligible or have I missed the boat?

If that was your first post - then it looks like you have just qualified under Rule 1 :D

Welcome aboard.

(It is good to hear that some wives give encouragement .. that is a useful asset, I would nurture it well as it will come in handy in the race to finish.)

Archived