RMWeb 2010 Challenge

Kenton

2010 Layout Challenge  

222 members have voted

1. 1. If we agreed a layout challenge for 2010 would you take part?

• Probably/Possibly
    • Probably not
    • It would depend on the final criteria
    • Definitely not

Simple question:

Is there going to be one?

Difficult question:

What is it to be about?

I ask, because the last Layout Challenge was something that seemed to bring us together as a community and to generate approval, external interest and a flood of new members.

2010 is only 6 weeks away - just about enough time to make some decisions and with enough of the winter left to make an enthusiastic start. With enough time to complete it during 2010 with an end date of say Xmas 2010.

I feel a poll is in order - we haven't had one recently.

Ah yes, the very question I asked a few hours ago in the 'Status' bit. Amazing coincidence... biggrin.gif

Personally I'd go back to the straight 'layout' challenge idea as that was 24 months ago now (ended at the end of 2007), but I was thinking along the lines of people setting their own personal challenge. For example...

Entrant A) Tries a layout set in the current railway scene - they usually model the GWR

Entrant B ) Does a layout in N gauge - they usually model in O

Entrant C) Builds a layout that is designed to be viewed at night

Entrant D) A snow covered layout

Entrant E) A French layout

Entrant F) A layout with lots of working accessories

Entrant G) A layout for under ??100

In other words, to evoke the true spirit of a 'challenge', the modeller tries something which they have never done before, or maybe has never even been tried before. They set their own judging criteria and it's this criteria that is then used to gauge how successful they have been. Now admitedly you might have a problem with people saying 'It's a DCC layout and I've never done DCC before', but since you can't judge how successful someone has been at that from photographs that may preclude that sort of entry. Basically the idea is to 'try something new', and build a layout (doesn't have to be big, could be a boxfile) that takes your modelling in a new or different direction. You set the challenge, then you have to see if you can meet it.

What I don't really want is a whole load of discusson about the pros and cons of each idea like we had last time sad.gif . Someone just pick one and say 'This is the challenge - enter or not'. We need to accept that no single idea is going to be suitable for all, so let's not try and find it!

• RMweb Gold

I thought the previous thread had pretty much focused onto a single point towards the end, a relatively open layout comp based around the 10sq ft idea.

Avoiding all of the tight restrictions given that they seemed to put off the majority.

That said, I'm not too worried now, too near to starting on Bodmin that its just not possible to do another layout at the moment so I wouldnt be able to enter anyway.

I'm all in favour of a challenge, but without the involvement of "The Management" to make a decision, we'll just end up going round in circles again, like the previous thread. ;)

That is not necessarily the case.

I remember the 2006 Challenge well I had a minor part in establishing "The Rules" (well collating them) and Lisa P4 handled all the voting which was done off site (we didn't have the luxury on RMWeb) Prizes ("prizes !!") were offered generously by members. Andy started the ball rolling and facilitated the use of the Forum.

So all we need to get going is an indication of a suitable challenge and it can be put to the vote and narrowed sown just like it was last time.

Of course we would need Andy to facilitate and endorse the use of RMWeb. But he perhaps has an idea to bring to the fore.

Whatever, there should be some project management here to say vote on the "objective" before the end of November and lock down the "Rules" by Xmas 2009 - a provisional start date.

10ft2 and 5 points?

Is that 10 feet square or 10 square feet ?

And is that presented as a topic with at least 5 points or a layout with 5 points ... and if points (layout) then does a 3 way count as 2 or 1 and a double slip more than a single slip.

All gauges/scales?

with/without 20 road traverser / sector plate?

more than one level gets included in the area?

does the control panel count?

Oh dear what have I done ? .... here we go again.

Now where were those 2006 Challenge Rules

(note: finalized almost 3 years ago to the day)

I think the time's right for another layout challenge.

The 10ft2 for 2010 is sound; 2010 will also be our 5th birthday but 5ft2 will be twice as tough!

10ft2 and 5 points?

That sounds good to me - nice and simple, and I think it should be exactly 5 points!

Kevin

Is that 10 feet square or 10 square feet ?

And is that presented as a topic with at least 5 points or a layout with 5 points ... and if points (layout) then does a 3 way count as 2 or 1 and a double slip more than a single slip.

All gauges/scales?

with/without 20 road traverser / sector plate?

more than one level gets included in the area

does the control panel counts?

Oh dear what have I done ? .... here we go again.

Now where were those 2006 Challenge Rules

(note: finalized almost 3 years ago to the day)

I think Andy literally meant a 5x2 (10 square foot) with 5 points/turnouts:

The 10ft2 for 2010 is sound; 2010 will also be our 5th birthday but 5ft2 will be twice as tough!

10ft2 and 5 points?

Sounds fab - any particular scale? :)

I think Andy literally meant a 5x2 (10 square foot)

Why restrict your mind to an oblong shape 2 ft wide ? ;)

Can it be smaller? - That is a heck of a real estate in 2mm .... and I'd like to see how anyone could fit 5 points in that space in 7mm (a 5 way point in Templot Martin? - nah that's not prototypical)

• RMweb Gold

10 square feet and 5 points..... amazingly my proposed Polpraze Harbour layout fits this almost exactly - if I shave the height / foldout bits to 9" rather than 12" it's a perfect size...

post-7025-12580604290859_thumb.gif

...so I'm in icon_thumbsup2.gif

• RMweb Gold

A few further thoughts...

5 points should maybe a maximum rather than a pre-requisite (unfair to 7mm modellers otherwise)

But is 5 points too limiting for the 2mm modeller?

Nope. They can either do the 'railway in a landscape' bit or not use all the space.

10ft2 and 5 points?

I'm assuming that these restrictions are for the scenic section only, yes?

Any fiddle-yard / traversers / etc. can be over and above?

Best regards,

Matt H

Archived