RMWeb 2010 Challenge

Kenton

2010 Layout Challenge  

222 members have voted

1. 1. If we agreed a layout challenge for 2010 would you take part?

• Probably/Possibly
    • Probably not
    • It would depend on the final criteria
    • Definitely not

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps a Point:Scale factor of 20 (as in 2010) could be used :

7mm x 3 points is 21 (close enough)

4mm x 5 points is 20

2mm x 10 points is 20

3mm x 7 points is 21 (see above)

Stu

Interesting idea! these could be presumably be viewed as a maximum as could area? would probably be interested to have another go as found the deadline to be a very useful motivating factor- I've not completing anything since the 2007 challenge!

• RMweb Premium

As much as I would love to enter another one of these (and maybe even finish what I have started this time....) I don't feel that I would be able to devote enought time or energy to it so I've voted that I would not enter.

As to the question of is five points to few for 2mm. Nope it's fine. Just means you have to be inventive. I would suggest that the maximum point count applies to the scenic section only, but that any maximum size includes the fiddle yard area.

Just read through this forum. What sort of rules are we looking at? I've grasped the 10ft square area, and maximum of 5 points. Does it have to be 10ft square or could it be smaller? Sorry if I'm being thick.

Tempted to have a go in O gauge for something like this.

• RMweb Gold

I'll throw my hat into the ring as well, missed out on the earlier layout challenges so might as well give it a go this time around! Got a few ideas up my sleeve so will have to see what pans out in terms of rules etc

I am all for keeping the rules simple - I don't think they were that bad last time :D But they do need to cover basic things like:

include/exclude FY in 10sqft

include/exclude FY in 5 point rule

counting of multiple turnouts and - if FY included count for traverser/SP/cassette vs ladders

any allowances for different scales

inclusion of incomplete but existing layouts (as we did last time) - remembering they will be judged from current start

Does it have to be complete (is any layout) by the end - judgment day .... that way even a plan might get a vote or even a separate category (giving chance for the armchair enthusiast to take part)

oh and maybe taken for granted - operational or are we just assuming that?

Can we at least agree on the time lines as that need not be controversial.

I suggested above:

- Definition of Challenge by end of November ?

- Finalise the Rules by 00:00 25th December 2009 (though nothing stopping you starting it before - but your risk it is outside the rules)

- Entry at any time - as per last time starting a blog (or a thread) on RMWeb

- Finish date 00:00 25th December 2010

- Judging - some method TBD (all member vote seemed to work well last time)

- Prizes .... well you never know ... it probably should depend on reaching a sufficient number of entrants/finishers - but it is the taking part that is the biggest reward ... even if it is only by helping out virtually through the RMWeb community.

A few further thoughts...

5 points should maybe a maximum rather than a pre-requisite (unfair to 7mm modellers otherwise)

But is 5 points too limiting for the 2mm modeller?

Andy,

Thankyou for considering us 7mm modellers, I would like to take part. Something in 10 square feet would be just right at the moment.

I think you should clarify what describes a point, ie, 3way, slips etc ????

Kindest

Ian

Reading the comments/questions above,

I think the ten square feet(not ten foot square) should be the scenic area alone, then the fiddle yard(s) are outside this parameter. The five points max, should be within the scenic area. If a double track exits the scenic area, then the sliding fiddle yard is just that, a fiddle yard.

There is no way ten square feet can contain five points and a fiddle yard in 7mm. It would`nt be a layout, but a shoe box. Its only 5`x2` on a theme or variations thereof !.rolleyes.gif

Kindest

Ian

I would suggest that each individual piece of pointwork counts as a 'point' - e.g. a slip or tandem point is one unit and counts as a 'point'. A crossover is two 'points' and a 'scissors is four. Catch points not to count.

The ten square feet could assume 4mm/ 1:76.2 and be decreased/increased for other scales.

Guest stuartp

I think the 2006 rules with the addition of 'Not more than 5 turnouts in the scenic section' and amendment of the layout area to 10 sq ft should do the job.

That seems sensible, but having missed the challenge last time around there's one aspect of the 2006 rules that puzzles me - why the requirement that an RTR loco should ideally form the motive power ? I've no doubt there was a perfectly sensible reason but I'm struggling to think what it might have been.

If I can finish the plans for Newton Stewart & Portwilliam this side of Christmas I'm in - either with the loco shed area from Newton Stewart, or part of the colliery/distillery/harbour from Portwilliam designed as drop-in modules for whenever I get started on the layout proper.

• RMweb Gold

Given that SWMBO is keen for me to do something with my stockpile I'm in the "probably" camp - if Sazzle keep me motivated I might actually do something this time blink.gif (but please note my signature line....tongue.gif )

I've grasped the 10ft square area, and maximum of 5 points. Does it have to be 10ft square or could it be smaller? Sorry if I'm being thick.

Tempted to have a go in O gauge for something like this.

I'd clarify this carefully - 10 sq feet is not the same as 10 ft square

10 sq ft = 10ft x 1ft or 2ft x 5ft or 3ft x 3ft 4in etc....

10 ft square implies 10ft x 10ft = 100 sq feet!

I would suggest that each individual piece of pointwork counts as a 'point' - e.g. a slip or tandem point is one unit and counts as a 'point'. A crossover is two 'points' and a 'scissors is four. Catch points not to count.

The ten square feet could assume 4mm/ 1:76.2 and be decreased/increased for other scales.

David, I partly agree with you here except how about, if you can buy the item as a piece of set track, ie, Peco pointwork as an individual item, then that should be the rule. After all, this is probably how most will define their own trackwork, some of us will be using individual components, ie, build our own.

Kindest

Ian

Makes sense to me.

That seems sensible, but having missed the challenge last time around there's one aspect of the 2006 rules that puzzles me - why the requirement that an RTR loco should ideally form the motive power ? I've no doubt there was a perfectly sensible reason but I'm struggling to think what it might have been.

Does seem strange, and I see no reason at all for it. RTR isn't why I do this hobby.

Given that SWMBO is keen for me to do something with my stockpile I'm in the "probably" camp - if Sazzle keep me motivated I might actually do something this time blink.gif (but please note my signature line....tongue.gif )

I'd clarify this carefully - 10 sq feet is not the same as 10 ft square

10 sq ft = 10ft x 1ft or 2ft x 5ft or 3ft x 3ft 4in etc....

10 ft square implies 10ft x 10ft = 100 sq feet!

icon_redface.gif Thanks for clarfying that. Maths was never my strong point.

Are we going to have theme for the layout, or just a free for all? All sorts of ideas are runing round my head now.

Archived