Lima CCT - Basic Improvements

• RMweb Premium

A couple of years ago I measured the diameter of the wheels on a CCT at the Bodmin Raillway, and they were 3 foot 3 inches .....

.... or 1.0 m.

Given that the BR CCT and GUV were developed in parallel with the ferry versions, perhaps the metric diameter of the wheels is significant!?

• RMweb Premium

The wheel diameter is quoted as 3'6" in the 1986 BR NPCCS diagram book. The wheels of the one you measured at Bodmin may have been very worn.

Mark

Also - where you measure the wheel diameter is critical.

Remember, the wheel tread is coned and the diameter should be measured, I believe, at the flange root.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Sounds like they are at scrapping size (or past it)!  By the old BR "standard" of the day for coaching stock on "tyred" wheelsets, there was a difference between new and scrapping diameter of about 2 1/4" i.e from new at 3'-6" down to 3'-3 3/4*  so in scale any wheel from 13.25mm to 14mm could, if following prototype practice, be fitted (in reality there were/are many other reasons that wheelsets were scrapped and some before the wheel had reached the scrapping size) 

You have to bear in mind though model manufacturers use the nominal 'New' size i.e. 14mm as a datum at which they set the 3'-5 1/2" buffer height, so altering one would (just like the real thing) have an effect on the other, which would need compensating for.....  Stick with 14mm and you can't go wrong....  If you wanted realism of course you could get them turned down but I'd say that's taking it a bit far!

• 1 year later...

I've had a good look through the net looking for information on the lighting in CCT's. I've currently got one going over the workbench getting new couplings and a renumber. I intend to fit pickups to the wheels and a resistor between them for the benefit of my track circuits. It's only a small step further to install a light or two. Would the lighting be left on during the journey if it had been switched on?

I have a photo taken somewhere of 94242 in line for firing at Snailwell and when i fiddled with the lighting switch the lights came on...

I've had a good look through the net looking for information on the lighting in CCT's. I've currently got one going over the workbench getting new couplings and a renumber. I intend to fit pickups to the wheels and a resistor between them for the benefit of my track circuits. It's only a small step further to install a light or two. Would the lighting be left on during the journey if it had been switched on?

I have a photo taken somewhere of 94242 in line for firing at Snailwell and when i fiddled with the lighting switch the lights came on...

Generally the lighting would be turned off whilst in motion, the lighting was provided for loading/unloading.. the lighting was pretty poor but you could see what was what, unlike the earlier vans.

Al Taylor.

• 5 months later...

Are Bill Bedford Heavy Plate Sprung W-Irons suitable for use as replacement W-Irons on these coaches? (https://www.eileensemporium.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=eny_fly_default.tpl&product_id=5757&category_id=288&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=9) Will they take 14mm wheels? And then a combination of MJT or scratch built springs and dampers? I ask, as it is not so easy to get in contact with ABS or make white metal ones over in Ozzie.

Are the prototype slightly deeper in section to take account of the deeper wheels?

Thanks in advance,

J

• RMweb Premium

Are Bill Bedford Heavy Plate Sprung W-Irons suitable for use as replacement W-Irons on these coaches? (https://www.eileensemporium.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=eny_fly_default.tpl&product_id=5757&category_id=288&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=9) Will they take 14mm wheels? And then a combination of MJT or scratch built springs and dampers? I ask, as it is not so easy to get in contact with ABS or make white metal ones over in Ozzie.

Are the prototype slightly deeper in section to take account of the deeper wheels?

Thanks in advance,

J

I'm not aware of a etched plate axleguard for 14mm. wheels, but I have to concede that getting anything from ABS has become an exercise in itself !

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I know that comet(now Wizard) make a w iron that takes 14mm wheels, but it is the RCH style rather than the plate type.

Have to have a play with parts....

Does anyone have a diagram to measure the height of the w iron? From bottom of the w iron to the bottom of the chassis rail?

• RMweb Premium

It was MJT. Should be reasonably readily available then

Did you manage to get 14mm. diameter wheels into the MJT plate axleguards? They are designed for 12mm. dia. wheels.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Did you manage to get 14mm. diameter wheels into the MJT plate axleguards? They are designed for 12mm. dia. wheels.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Sorry about the delayed response - I've only just seen this.

Yes - Hornby carriage wheels were fitted. I know it was MJT because it's etched on the unit, but it looks like I used these, which are stated to take 14mm wheels

http://www.dartcastings.co.uk/mjt/2297S.php

• RMweb Premium

Sorry about the delayed response - I've only just seen this.

Yes - Hornby carriage wheels were fitted. I know it was MJT because it's etched on the unit, but it looks like I used these, which are stated to take 14mm wheels

http://www.dartcastings.co.uk/mjt/2297S.php

Spot on - a useful bit of info', thanks.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm interested in this as I have a couple to do.

On one, I've cut off and shortened Lima's axleguards and refitted them and then installed 14mm wheels with inside bearing, which is not 100% successful. The MJT W-irons look like the answer, but the instructions make no mention of 14mm wheels. I would think it is necessary to file the bearing holes 1mm upwards to set the vehicle ride height correctly, modifying the spring units to suit.

Does anyone have any further thoughts on this?

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gif7-20141013_181218.jpg

attachicon.gif5-20141013_181134.jpg

attachicon.gif4-20141013_181052.jpg

attachicon.gif3-20141013_180929.jpg

attachicon.gif1-20141013_180921.jpg

Current state of play with my bodgings using the body only and slinging the chassis.

ABS underframe details, brass channel solebar, ABS axleguards with Bill Bedford springy bits, (not shown yet).

Mike.

Hi

I did something similar with the N Gauge version, 2mm SA parts and some Ultima Models left overs.

post-109-0-05325800-1438094104_thumb.jpg

post-109-0-29533100-1438094128_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Paul

I didn't have to file or bodge my MJT etchings at all.  Just remember when cutting down the ABS castings that for at least half the vehicle the coils on the end of the spring will be fixed to the solebar - so if they break off the spring as you cut down (as they probably will) it's not a problem: you reattach them when gluing the lot in place to the solebar

attachicon.gif7-20141013_181218.jpg

attachicon.gif5-20141013_181134.jpg

attachicon.gif4-20141013_181052.jpg

attachicon.gif3-20141013_180929.jpg

attachicon.gif1-20141013_180921.jpg

Current state of play with my bodgings using the body only and slinging the chassis.

ABS underframe details, brass channel solebar, ABS axleguards with Bill Bedford springy bits, (not shown yet).

Mike.

Hey Mike, thanks for sharing!

What depth brass channel did you use?

Interesting - didn't realize that ABS made all the other underframe parts also.

Still getting round to ordering a bunch of parts from MJT.

Archived