Building a G.W.R. Castle + more in 7mm OF from a JLTRT kit restarts on P.88 by OzzyO,

ozzyo

If the loco had slide valve then the presure release valves would not have been needed, I am not too sure if Bulldogs had slide valves replaced by piston valves like the City's

David

Hello David & N15 class,

it will be seen but not any large amount due to it being under the smoke box and between the frames.

The G/A drawing that I've worked off is for the Earls, contemporary to the Bulldogs and had piston valves.

In this drawing No.1 is the snifting valve and No. 2 is the cylinder pressure relief valve

post-8920-0-07337200-1329304745_thumb.jpg

In this drawing No.1 is the base for the snifting valve and No.2 is the end of the cylinder pressure relief valve. You can clearly see the piston valves at the bottom of this view

post-8920-0-53620800-1329304831_thumb.jpg

OzzyO.

Is this one of those things that never getsseen or is it visible on the finished loco? I do not know about this class

Hello N15 Class, all,

this is what you see when it's fitted to the body and fitted to the frames. It's not a lot and when it's painted black even less will be seen. Makes fitting the frames to the body a bit of a bu99er, fitting the four axle boxes making sure that the motion bracket etc. are in place. All good fun.

post-8920-0-35700600-1329312859_thumb.jpg

OzzyO.

From RCTS Locomotives of the GWR Part 7:

"New type cylinders with piston valves date from 1912 and were fitted when replacements were required in succeeding years."

Nick

Cheers for that Nick as this is going to be at the last doors.Circa 1949

OzzyO.

If the loco had slide valve then the presure release valves would not have been needed, I am not too sure if Bulldogs had slide valves replaced by piston valves like the City's

David

I think that GWR engines required pressure relief valves in each cylinder end cover plate irrespective of the valves.... if the regulator was open and there was water in the cylinders then compression of that water might not push the slide valves away from the ports in the steam chest.

Hello all,

I'm going to do this post a little different to my normal post in that I'm going to show after grit blasting (AGB) and after ultrasonic cleaning (AUSC). The grit blasting was only a quick job just to clean up the bodywork and the ultrasonic cleaning just to remove the detritus, as the locos going for a run out on the owners layout tomorrow. I'll post some photos later when I've got the body on the frames.

R/H side of the body AGB

post-8920-0-50710000-1329483178_thumb.jpg

As above AUSC

post-8920-0-54860600-1329483544_thumb.jpg

L/H of body AGB

post-8920-0-64559700-1329483257_thumb.jpg

As above AUSC

post-8920-0-77319400-1329483476_thumb.jpg

Smoke box AGB

post-8920-0-53724200-1329483332_thumb.jpg

As above AUSC

post-8920-0-35980600-1329483606_thumb.jpg

Cab AGB

post-8920-0-15958700-1329483399_thumb.jpg

As above AUSC

post-8920-0-16213400-1329483671_thumb.jpg

After the body had been through the USC in cleaning fluid at about 60 deg. I drained the tank (keeping the fluid) this was was left in the bottom of the tank after it was wiped out on kitchen roll

post-8920-0-36339100-1329483736_thumb.jpg

The body was then put in the USC just using hot water at about 60 deg. to remove any residue of the cleaning fluid and this was whats left

post-8920-0-11920200-1329483800_thumb.jpg

As a first time use of this new cleaner I'm happy with the result. It's just going to be a bit of a learning curve with the new M/C. One thing that I do like is that the loco body will fit in it with ease, Just can't cover the cab roof in one go on this loco. But we will see.

OzzyO.

I am a little surprised at the results.

AGB seems to leave the brass very dull, I was expecting it to come out with an almost polished shine.

AUSC seems to leave a staining on the surface, some residue of the type of cleaning fluid.

Neither technique is one I am familiar with - and still underwhelmed. Though I can see the GB as providing a more even key to the brass for painting.

(I use an old toothbrush and Vim, followed by a 50'C spell in the dishwasher.)

I am a little surprised at the results.

AGB seems to leave the brass very dull, I was expecting it to come out with an almost polished shine.

AUSC seems to leave a staining on the surface, some residue of the type of cleaning fluid.

Hello Kenton, all,

" I am a little surprised at the results",

AGB,

the surface has been hit with thousands of aluminum oxide grit particles at about 60 Psi. so why would you expect it to look shiny? I do not understand why a lot of kit builders want the brass to shine before the paint is put on. If the brass has a polished surface it will be harder for the primer to adhere to it.

AUSC,

As you can see, it may leave some staining but nothing that the paint will not cover. As the metal is clean and has a nice surface finish, there should be no problems.

OzzyO.

Hello all,

the Bulldog had a bit of a run out on the owners layout today. YES.

I, wanted to put it on load 12 just to see what it could do, but I was told F.T.O. OzzyO. But she did look good double heading with the Castle. Photos to follow, maybe? Dave's not to sure about naked locos.

The King well happy.

OzzyO.

PS. the new tender arrived while I was out today, so I think that R.M. may have to pay up ( R.M.S.D.). It should have arrived Fri. before 13;00.

I picked up my castle yesterday so here is a picture for you all to see.

Sorry about the quality my camera dose not seem to like close up images

post-5983-0-50873700-1329657391_thumb.jpg

In a few days I will try and post a link to a video of this loco and my king and a few others in action including the Duke.

I picked up my castle yesterday so here is a picture for you all to see.

Sorry about the quality my camera dose not seem to like close up images

post-5983-0-50873700-1329657391_thumb.jpg

In a few days I will try and post a link to a video of this loco and my king and a few others in action including the Duke.

That is looking very, very, very, very, very nice!

I'll look forward to the video.

Yeah, there wasn't enough room for all the very's required for a comment on the full size photo. :)

I'm off to look at your layout thread now Steve.

A great build by Ozzy. Who painted it?

Kev

It was painted by Conrad Cooper, All the lining is done by hand, The paint is from Chriss Wesson. Conrad does a superb job.

I wish there was a bit more movement on the layout but it is going rather slowly.

All the best

post-5983-0-37494800-1329692733_thumb.jpgpost-5983-0-37494800-1329692733_thumb.jpg

I just thought I would add in one more picture for you all showing the mechanical lubricators of both the Castle and the King.

The detail in this area is imense, The King was built before Ozzy started his thread.

She was painted By Conrad as well and has been weathered by Fred Lewis ( Welsh Wizard ) who in my opinion does the best weathering Ive seen.

There are more pictures of the king on the Ranelagh Thread.

I thought I would add a few pictures here as we dont usually get to see the locomotives once there painted.

On the video that should get linked up soon there should be some footage of the 44XX that was running on this thread back late last year.

She really looks a treat and Im sure Mike will be over the moon with it. The 44 will be taking a trip to see the Wizard shortly as well.

Hello KevT all,

I've not seen any detrimental effects in grit blasting white metal, all I have seen is a nice finely abraded surface for applying primer to.

In this photo the white metal backhead has been gritblasted

post-8920-0-23357000-1329729853_thumb.jpg

I hope this helps

OzzyO.

Edit; Steve, I thought that you would have put a photo of the 44xx up by now!

Thanks for posting all the photo's Steve. You have a great collection of loco's. I'm especially liking the 44XX, but then I do have a soft spot for Great Western tanks. You may have seen my 14XX build.

Apologies to OzzyO for all the thread hijacking we've been doing.

Thanks for posting all the photo's Steve. You have a great collection of loco's. I'm especially liking the 44XX, but then I do have a soft spot for Great Western tanks. You may have seen my 14XX build.

Apologies to OzzyO for all the thread hijacking we've been doing.

Kev

Yes Ive been following your build, Im thinking of one of Scorpios 97XX condensing pannier, This is a must for a west London layout.

The 44XX is a lovely little loco, Im sure Mike will be over the moon with it.

Archived