Building a G.W.R. Castle + more in 7mm OF from a JLTRT kit restarts on P.88 by OzzyO,

ozzyo

Hi OzzyO, I'm particularly enjoying your Bulldog build, as always excellent detail shots. And I'm very keen to see your Great Western 4-4-2T!

Great stuff,

Simon

Hello Simon,

the G.W.R. 4-4-2T is not a build thread, it's already built but not running well so it's come in to the works for some T.L.C.

OzzyO.

All looking really good mate, I think you ought to bring your Furness out for a run next time.

Had my 4037 the south Wales borderers plates from Severn mill today, they are superb.

Got the king and tornado coming through Cwmbran tomorrow. Nice to see a bit of steam on the main line.

Guest Isambarduk

Just been catching up with this great thread! I was particularly interested in the Castle valve gear; when I built my Warwick Castle from a Mitchell kit, I decided that I should really do something better than the 4mm solution of 'flicking levers' for the internal motion. A good deal of reworking of the front frames was required to insert the internal motion casting, and building the crank axle was fun, but I did finish up with 'working' inside pistons and Walschaerts valve gear. Of course, there's not much to see once the locomotive is finished but there is the satisfaction of knowing it's there and working.

If you wish to see it working (before the upperworks were added) I have video clip at: www.davidlosmith.co.uk/videos/WalschaertsGear.MPG

and a photo of the finished 4081 appears in my rmweb gallery at: www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/image/19579-gwr-warwick-castle-7mm/ (also with more captioned pictures at: www.davidlosmith.co.uk/GWR_Warwick_Castle.htm) I would be interested to hear of others' experience of trying the same sort of (mad?) thing.

David L O Smith

Hello all,

I've got all the plungers in place and tested with my circuit tester and all are picking up OK, but when I tried running it it was in fits and starts. The motor is a Escap 22n 28 210e 3, so out with the circuit tester and tried the red motor lead to the body of the motor, circuit showing, so I tried the red/black motor lead to the body of the motor, circuit showing. When I did the same test on another Escap motor the body was dead to both motor terminals. So is the first one fubared.

OzzyO.

Guest Isambarduk

"Has anyone done it in 4mm scale?"

Yes, I'd be interested to hear, too. From my experience of doing it (realistic working inside gear for a Castle) in 7mm, I would say that it would be perfectly possible - and I think I could do it now, but I wouldn't have liked to have tried in 4mm as my first attempt!

In principle, there's nothing actually difficult about it, it just takes planning, precise working and patience, particulalry when something doesn't quite work out as well as you had very carefully planned. It's not something I would like to have done to a tight deadline because I used up large quantities of thinking time whilst I was away from the workshop going about everyday tasks.

Hi Ozzy,

Just purchased a sandblasting booth, a Badger 260 abrasive blasting kit, and 55lbs of Aluminum Oxide 220 grit. Together with an ultrasonic bath, this makes for a fantastic way to clean up brass and white metal kits, prior to painting.

Cheers for putting me on to this approach. Much appreciated.

Julian

Hi Ozzy,

Just purchased a sandblasting booth, a Badger 260 abrasive blasting kit, and 55lbs of Aluminum Oxide 220 grit. Together with an ultrasonic bath, this makes for a fantastic way to clean up brass and white metal kits, prior to painting.

Cheers for putting me on to this approach. Much appreciated.

Julian

Hello Julian,

sounds like Christmas has come early in your house :good: .

How about popping some photos of the new bits of kit up on here?

Which sandblasting booth and ultrasonic cleaner did you get?

I'm thinking about getting a bigger ultrasonic cleaner, it's just the ka ching that puts me off

OzzyO.

Hello all,

well I bit the bullet and bought a new and bigger ultrasonic cleaner, internal tank size 324 x 202 x 97, 6 litre capacity, 140 watts cleaning power and built in heater. Down side is the ka ching £165 in. P&P. Well that my Christmas present to me just got to wait for it to turn up now 2 - 5 working days. So I may have it for the weekend!

All I have to do now is decide what to do with the old one? PM me with ideas.

I'll drop some photos of it on here when it turns up.

OzzyO.

as promised here are a few pics of my new Severn Mill nameplates

First a special order Chris has done for me 4037 The South Wales Borderers,

post-5983-0-35111100-1322586427_thumb.jpg

a few more from Severn mill

post-5983-0-25602900-1322586521_thumb.jpg

post-5983-0-87277700-1322586593_thumb.jpg

post-5983-0-19170400-1322586661_thumb.jpg

post-5983-0-77667400-1322586736_thumb.jpg

Fighter Command was another special order including the RAF crests.

all of these will appear in this build thread over the next few years although the next will be 5904 Kelhan Hall coupled to the unique Collett 8 wheel tender,The eagle eyed amongst you might have picked up on a reacurring theme here besided 4037 all these locos are uniqe, 92220 was the last 9F and painted green, 71000 DOG was a one off 34064 Fighter command was unique in being fitted with a giesel ejector and as mentioned 5904 will have the unique collett tender.

I do like my odd balls

Hello Julian,

sounds like Christmas has come early in your house :good: .

How about popping some photos of the new bits of kit up on here?

Which sandblasting booth and ultrasonic cleaner did you get?

I'm thinking about getting a bigger ultrasonic cleaner, it's just the ka ching that puts me off

OzzyO.

Hi Ozzy,

Sure thing. I'll take some photos and post them up shortly.

Suffice to say that the booth appears to be the same as yours, albeit from a different supplier...!?

Julian

Hello HT.

I think that would be shear madness. Now for all the photos to roll in.

I agree there, the cost/benefit doesn't add up for anyone wanting to produce more than just that showpiece model. It makes sense for me on the 2800 but not a Castle or something like a 7200.

Julian, i'll be interested in how you find the blaster as from your blog you model a finescale H0 so the scale of the models detail would be more comparable to mine than the 7mm stuff. Hopefully if I get some money in soon I can look at an xmas pressie myself as I am impressed with the results.

Those 7mm plates do show the extra detail you can get in with the larger scale. I'll have to print some wagon plates in 7mm and see if everything comes out properly.

Hi Ozzy,

Further to your request regarding sand blasting booth, check out a recent post on my little blog:

http://vrdays.blogspot.com/2011/11/watson-co-foundary-vancouver-canada.html

Check out my most recent post for a sample of the results:

http://vrdays.blogspot.com/

Julian.

PS: I've been following your work for some time. Great work indeed.

Those 7mm plates do show the extra detail you can get in with the larger scale. I'll have to print some wagon plates in 7mm and see if everything comes out properly.

Not just the wagon plates, looking at that new wagon you have produced in MRJ, I for one would buy a couple if you were to scale them up and produce in 7mm .

ATB, Martyn.

P.S. Sorry for the hijack Ozzy , back in the land of the living earlier than expected .

Archived