Building a G.W.R. Castle + more in 7mm OF from a JLTRT kit restarts on P.88 by OzzyO,

ozzyo

The molded crest saves on transfers all that is needed is a few hours of painting instead. That boiler is not a milkybar I think it is more like an Aero.

It looks like to was cast without the use of a vacuum system and some very vigorously badly mixed resin.

Pity you cannot get a replacement as it could do with one.

Wow!

Is it a case of, "I wish I'd never asked him to send me the body...?"

Hello all,

I'm going to try and reply to you all in order.

Pete (N15),

when I got the body you would not have known that the raised totem was there, let alone all the blow holes, as there was that much paint was on it. Yes the boiler is like an Aero (are we allowed to advertise?). I think that I may have to add some lead to the loco to help counteract all the bubbles.

Pete H.

This casting has never seen a vacuum chamber in it's life. I've seen one or two in use when people are casting resin parts and you don't get this sort of result. I just think that the Q/Cer's guide dog was having a bad day. Even using vac. chambers you can get an odd bubble in resin but not like this.

JeffP,

I needed the body to check that any of the Mods. that I did to the frames would still fit into the body, so I had to have the body, would you do a lot of work on a Jag. engine, just to find out that it was to fit into a Morris Minor?

Martyn,

I was just going to use some knifing filler that I have, but if you could let me know where to get this filler from, I would be most grateful. I'm also going to have a look at the top feed and see if I can get it to fit a bit better as well.

OzzyO.

PS. I've got the bitumen 'paint' all warmed up ready to dip the body into, so that should be a quick paint job!!!!!

Martyn,

I was just going to use some knifing filler that I have, but if you could let me know where to get this filler from, I would be most grateful.

Hi Matey,

I brought it from the "Sussex model centre" in Worthing and I'm fairly sure they do mail order. I have never come across a smoother filler and it doesn't take long to go hard. It says it's good for wood,balsa, foam and fibreglass, no mention of metal or resin but I have never had a problem with it when using over primer.

ATB,

Martyn.

Here you go :- http://www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk/

And here's the filler it's the bottom one :- http://www.sussex-mo... xD.asp?id=30475

Crikey OzzyO! I thought I had troubles with paint, but looking at the resin casting on that pannier tank, I don't envy you the job of filling all those holes. The most surprising thing is the moulded crests, but fair play, the pattern maker got them facing forward on each tank side!

All the best,

Colin

Crikey OzzyO! I thought I had troubles with paint, but looking at the resin casting on that pannier tank, I don't envy you the job of filling all those holes. The most surprising thing is the moulded crests, but fair play, the pattern maker got them facing forward on each tank side!

All the best,

Colin

Hello Colin,

we all have them days, I have asked santa for one of these, i wonder if it might help you, hope it does.

https://airbrushes.com/product_info.php?products_id=21346

Regards

Grasshopper John.

The XX's are generic. 15XX describes the 15XX out side cylinder pannier tank the same for the 94XX. 68XX would be a grange class and as there named they take on that name.

6959 class would describe the modified halls as this is the first number in the class.

28XX would be the large 2.8.0 heavy goods loco.

57xx pannier tank 8750 same pannier but with modified cab.

14xx Collett 0.4.2 or Collett Auto. alot of western locos as per most reigions had nick names for there locos.

56XX 0.6.2 tank were called Taffy tanks or Jumbos. because of there use in South Wales

2251 class 0.6.0 were affectionatley known as baby castles because of the power.

hope this helps.

Steve

Its all them Eastern locos I struggle with!!

14xx: the running numbers began with 14, so the doyen of the class was 1400, followed by 1401, 1402.....

28xx, as above.

So the kings , being numbered from 6000, could be described as the 60xx class, although would more likely have been known as "Kings".

Clearer?

The French still do similar, the class most enthusiasts call "sybics" is known to French railwaymen as "vingt-six milles", (twenty-six thousands), since the doyen of that class was No 26001. (modern computerised systems cannot cope with a first of class ending in a 0).

Ozzy,

Re filler, I use 3M Acryl Green Putty 05960. It comes in giant "toothpaste tube" and it is"an auto body repair putty designed with easy sanding and fast drying characteristics for use in filling pin holes (plenty of those!) and scratches". The tube lasts ages as long as you put the screw cap straight back when you've squeezed out some onto a square of plastic card or whatever for applying with a spatula.

I've only bought two such tubes in about 15 years of (erratic) modelling. I've bought from car paint dealers but I expect that e bay may be a source.

good luck!

Except, of course, when it's a 2884 class, most of which were numbered 38xx :scratchhead:

It's very simple really, until you try to explain the exceptions.

Nick

Hi All,

Dare we mention the Castles and their clear cut and simple to understand numbering and systematic Castle themed naming policy here?

They are, of course, the 4073 class. Unless they are something like a 5013. Or a 5098. Or they could be such things as 4000, 111, 4037 or even have two number plates, one on top of the other, and have a letter in one of the number plates like this:

A1

By the way the third member of the 5098 batch was obviously 7000. Even though the locos between 4000 - 4072 were all Stars, some grew up and became Castles, some kept their original numbers and some didn't. 4063 - 4972 therefore became 5083 - 5092. One of the Stars wasn't a Star, then became a Star and then became a Castle. It was numbered 4000 and was therefore theoretically the founder member of the stars but was actually a castle by the end even though it was called North Star. It's first number was 40 - not a XX in sight.

Are we all following this so far?

Then they decided that just fiddling with the numbers wasn't good enough - they had better fiddle with the names too. So, a great big bear had some wheels lopped off and became a viscount and later on some castles became peers while others became aeroplanes. A shooter became well insured and a sheep skin even managed to become light infantry.

There were so many different names on the castles that in the end those that were named after castles had castle on thier name plates and that was good and obvious to everyone that these were castles but the castles that were castles but were not called castles ended up with a little badge under the name plate to tell everyone that even though it wasn't actually called a castle that it was, in fact, a castle. Just to top it off, some of the names (good, honest castle names) were used on up to 3 different engines AND in the end, they then couldn't tell the difference between Windsor and Bristol Castle!

The 171st and last one was therefore logically named after a town.

All the best,

Castle

PS: Or at least I think that is my name - I'm not sure now. Perhaps I need a little badge under my nameplate to remind me?

PPS: not a XX in sight - appart from on the 40XXs of course.

PPPS: I'll get my coat.

Hi "Castle"

If we're not wandering too far off topic, you've opened up a can of worms here as at least one castle was named after a manor and a manor was also named after the same building (clue: the castle had three different numbers at different times and Canton's shed master apparently thought it to be one of the best of the class in it's final form).

Hi All,

Dare we mention the Castles and their clear cut and simple to understand numbering and systematic Castle themed naming policy here?

They are, of course, the 4073 class. Unless they are something like a 5013. Or a 5098. Or they could be such things as 4000, 111, 4037 or even have two number plates, one on top of the other, and have a letter in one of the number plates like this:

A1

By the way the third member of the 5098 batch was obviously 7000. Even though the locos between 4000 - 4072 were all Stars, some grew up and became Castles, some kept their original numbers and some didn't. 4063 - 4972 therefore became 5083 - 5092. One of the Stars wasn't a Star, then became a Star and then became a Castle. It was numbered 4000 and was therefore theoretically the founder member of the stars but was actually a castle by the end even though it was called North Star. It's first number was 40 - not a XX in sight.

Are we all following this so far?

Then they decided that just fiddling with the numbers wasn't good enough - they had better fiddle with the names too. So, a great big bear had some wheels lopped off and became a viscount and later on some castles became peers while others became aeroplanes. A shooter became well insured and a sheep skin even managed to become light infantry.

There were so many different names on the castles that in the end those that were named after castles had castle on thier name plates and that was good and obvious to everyone that these were castles but the castles that were castles but were not called castles ended up with a little badge under the name plate to tell everyone that even though it wasn't actually called a castle that it was, in fact, a castle. Just to top it off, some of the names (good, honest castle names) were used on up to 3 different engines AND in the end, they then couldn't tell the difference between Windsor and Bristol Castle!

The 171st and last one was therefore logically named after a town.

All the best,

Castle

PS: Or at least I think that is my name - I'm not sure now. Perhaps I need a little badge under my nameplate to remind me?

PPS: not a XX in sight - appart from on the 40XXs of course.

PPPS: I'll get my coat.

Hello Castle (or is that Star, have you been un-rebuilt yet?)

don't forget that not all the Castles that were not named Castles did not have the small Castle plate and as you've said not all Castles were Castles.

I'm now putting on my coat that has the long sleeves and all the nice leather straps and going to run around in that nice soft room that my wife has had built for me, I think that I may be in it for some time.

Well it's more fun than Christmas.

OzzyO, (I'm going slightly mad).

Hello all,

thanks for the nice words about my builds and this thread. I do like to try and inject some humour in to my thread as this is a hobby that we do for enjoyment, so some humour is not amiss.

I've not got much work done this week as the wife's off work and it's the build up to Christmas.

OzzyO.

PS. please keep the humour coming.

Archived