Building a G.W.R. Castle + more in 7mm OF from a JLTRT kit restarts on P.88 by OzzyO,

ozzyo

Hello Matey,

Sorry to hijack your thread but I thought I would show you this close coupled B set that I was on about, although I intend to keep them coupled up. It is just as easy to uncoupled them along with the vacuum/steam pipes. The main problem was sorting out the adjustment when transversing crossovers, but that has been finely tuned now .

post-7101-0-90604100-1348936447.jpg

ATB,

Martyn.

P.S. And before anyone say's it's a bit shiney, yes it will all be weathered soon, as I like things dirty :O .

Shouldn't the buffers be in contact?

If you want a picture of the buffers together I will do one for you, the only reason I have taken it in the tension position is so you lot can see it better :) . The pipes run on a sliding guide and pin under one of the coaches.

Martyn.

Mornin All,

Here is a close up of the buffers touching it's a bit of a cruel close up but once it's all weathered it should get rid of all the shiney bits and bring it to life.

John if you mean the rails on the turnout, it is just a Peco turnout that is on my test track and the C & L turnouts look much better.

End of hijack Ozzyo, back to you :good: .

post-7101-0-63111000-1348997855.jpg

ATB,

Martyn.

Hello Martyn,

no probs. with the hijack, but can you screw up the couplings as the turn-buckle looks to be about half way down the screw not at one end as on the loco couplings. As seen in this photo.

post-8920-0-90482700-1349000412_thumb.jpg

If the turn-buckle is in the centre you should have a L/H & R/H thread on the screw. The only people that do this AFAIK is Slater's.

OzzyO.

Here is a close up of the buffers touching it's a bit of a cruel close up but once it's all weathered it should get rid of all the shiney bits and bring it to life.

What 3Link meant was that the buffers should touch when the couplings are tight. These needs soft buffer springs and generous track radii.

What 3Link meant was that the buffers should touch when the couplings are tight. These needs soft buffer springs and generous track radii.

Hi Bill,

Ahhh the penny has finally dropped !! well on my layout the passengers are supplied with a neck brace for their journey :O .

Once the coaches are a permanent fixture on the layout I will pull the links tight and slide up the turn-buckle and locktite them in place, all in good time.

ATB,

Martyn.

Hello all,

I've un-soldered the spokes off there mandrel and I'm not to happy with them.

post-8920-0-28611600-1349162371_thumb.jpg

As you can see one sides higher than the other it's not by much maybe 10 thou, but it's enough for me to make two new ones, after I've figured out what I've done wrong.

I'm quit happy with the rim though.

OzzyO.

Hello Matey,

I don't think your far out and we are talking bl**dy fiddly here, would it be easier to get some straight bar of the correct thickness and cut to length and solder some "spokes" for want of a better word to a brass washer in the middle if you get my drift.

Once I win that lottery your troubles will be over as I will get you whatever CNC machine you want.

ATB,

Martyn.

Hello all,

as I mentioned some posts back I was not that happy about the spoke for the locking wheels. So I started out on making some new spokes. This set has been drilled for the wheels handle and has been reset in the lathe for parting off.

post-8920-0-19296200-1349518914_thumb.jpg

The spokes for the wheels removed from the turning blank. The two at the top are the first ones that I did, you can see that the spokes are out of line in this photo better than in some of the old ones.

post-8920-0-57653800-1349518941_thumb.jpg

Jumping on a bit to the finished wheels, still a bit of cleaning up to do.

post-8920-0-11594500-1349518967_thumb.jpg

The same as above but with a rule to help show the size of them.

post-8920-0-98279900-1349518993_thumb.jpg

The wheels after a quick clean and grit blast, I've still got a bit of work to do on them, like taking off the sharp corners on the spokes and removing some excess solder.

post-8920-0-93092500-1349519020_thumb.jpg

OzzyO.

Hello all,

thanks for the nice words about the hand wheels, I do think that they do look better than my first efforts on them.

This is a bit O/T for the build on the T/T but still to do with T/Ts. In these two photos you can see extension rails in use.

post-8920-0-25548400-1349699886_thumb.jpg

post-8920-0-00473400-1349699878_thumb.jpg

To start with, you reverse the loco on tender first OK. You now want to come off the T/T tender first, having turned the loco, how do you do that as the rails don't look to be hinged.

So do you reverse the loco on tender first, turn the loco and drive off at the other end and then use a run round loop to get back to your starting point.

IF there is no run round loop how would they then work?

OzzyO.

There would normally be a run off road on the opposite side in line with the approach road so just drive the loco over the table, then put the extensions in place then reverse back on to them.

If you look closely there are what seems to be locating lugs on the extensions (beow the centre wheel and the brake hanger for the same wheel) which will plug into the deck and retain the extensions whilst the tender is moving.

There would normally be a run off road on the opposite side in line with the approach road so just drive the loco over the table, then put the extensions in place then reverse back on to them.

If you look closely there are what seems to be locating lugs on the extensions (beow the centre wheel and the brake hanger for the same wheel) which will plug into the deck and retain the extensions whilst the tender is moving.

I can see what your saying but what would the weight of the extension beams be? 10 cwt.? So how would two men move them? As there's no hand holds to help them lift them and they are "smooth sided". Try lifting about a foot of rail and you may see what I'm saying. About 75 Lb (about 34 Kg).

Also the railway at that time didn't like any thing not to be fastened down. More so when a loco had to run on it.

OzzyO.

• RMweb Gold

I've not seen any extension pieces that long before. There were - if my memory is working right - some quite short ones at Whitchurch (Salop) which I saw being used about 50 years ago but I can't remember if they were portable or not (somehow I had the impression they were but I don't really know why. Apparently Churston turntable on the Paington -Kingswear line has extension pieces so someone on here might know about it?

Hi Ozzyo My guess is that the extention rails are hinged, ( that bit under the centre wheel looks like a large hinge)I reckon they would hinge outward to the outside and when upright are pinned. Garry

Hi Ozzyo My guess is that the extention rails are hinged, ( that bit under the centre wheel looks like a large hinge)I reckon they would hinge outward to the outside and when upright are pinned. Garry

Looking deeper at the second picture this is probably the answer, the curved/flared end woud form a reasonable handle.

The original turntable at Minehead had extension bars too.

I can find a couple of photo's but no explainations in the books I have. Are there any WSR folks on here who could help perhaps?

Looking deeper at the second picture this is probably the answer, the curved/flared end woud form a reasonable handle.

Hello all,

thanks for all the replies. This is the Minehead TT. so for a place like this you would have expected to see a few more photos of the extensions in use.

Logic would say that the extensions would be hinged, I had been looking at the two three bolt brackets as been fixed. Looking at the photos again they could be hinges (probable are). Looking at the curved ends these look to have holes in them so a lever could be inserted into them to give more leverage.

All we need now is a photo to show them hinged out of the way.

I live in hope.

OzzyO.

Archived