Where would you buy track chairs from?

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

I got a call out of the blue last night from the owner of Egloskerry station. They run the station as a B&B but also have a length of track and a SR PMV in their grounds. The owner was asking where he could buy 5no full-size chairs from to attach to some sleepers he's acquired and lengthen his track. I don't know a great deal about chairs but on questioning the ones he has already are the 4-bolt type.

Any pointers, particularly if the source is in the North Cornwall / North Devon area, appreciated.

Regards

Chris

(PS Mods, apologies if this is posted in the wrong area)

My knee-jerk reaction would be to try the local preserved lines, They might even have some 'graded' ones which were heading for the scrap-man but would be safe enough for a static display.

• RMweb Premium

You coud try the South Devon Railway Trust

The Station

Buckfastleigh

Devon

TQ11 0DZ

T: 0845 345 1466 (from the UK)

no garantees but they may be able to help

Try Staverton station instead, they often have them for sale at I think about £5 to £10 a pop. The last (and only) one I bought from them was a 3 hole one I think. It was a spoof birthday present.

Charles Holloway and I (aged 12) robbed a 2 bolt one when they were lifting the Stourport to Bewdley line in about 1971, because it had GWR on it. We carried it a long way down the trackbed, all the way down the path from the site of Burlish Halt, across the main road and into his garden.

At Middleton Railway (up here in Leeds) we have replaced 8 sections of track in the winter replacing the old wooden sleepers for concrete. I know that we are weiging in many of the chairs (3 hole varying ages). As many more railways are replacing wooden for concrete sleepers (these have the chairs already on them) you might find a local railway that has some for sale. You might even be able to get some decent wooden sleepers.

• RMweb Premium

Charles Holloway and I (aged 12) robbed a 2 bolt one when they were lifting the Stourport to Bewdley line in about 1971, because it had GWR on it. We carried it a long way down the trackbed, all the way down the path from the site of Burlish Halt, across the main road and into his garden.

Is it still there? Does he still want it??? :lol:

• RMweb Gold

Find a BT Policeman and turn yourselves in now. You just know your soul will never rest until justice has been done!

• RMweb Gold

Is it still there? Does he still want it??? :lol:

Chris,

If you seriously want a pair of rail chairs, there are two sitting behind my garage which you are more than welcome to stagger away with. There are also two wicker chairs in my garage you are also welcome to.

Regards

Richard

(I'm in Telford so not to far for you to travel)

Find a BT Policeman and turn yourselves in now. You just know your soul will never rest until justice has been done!

'BTP' - as in 'Be There Presently'.. Also known (affectionately) to their colleagues in the 'County Forces' as 'The Railway Children':D

Regs

Ian

(who has worked both sides of the railway policing fence )

Archived