LNER W1 "Hush Hush" Loco

polybear

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

At some point I fancy making a loco kit of the LNER W1 "Hush Hush" in 4mm. I'm aware that SEFinecast have a kit available - any experiences of this please (especially the boiler)? Are there any other kits out there please? Thanks.

Brian

Tim Shackleton wrote up his build in one of the MRJ Compendiums; I'm afraid I can't recall which one. I think the main issue was the tender - the W1's, almost inevitably, was unique - but I can't recall what other (if any) issues were there.

Adam

According to Tony Wrights book LNER Pacifics the Corridor Tender Wills provides is too wide . It is flush with the the footplate edge when it should be set back as Non Corridor tenders. He used one from a A2 kit with rivets removed for his build.

• RMweb Premium

Any information that is posted in support of your query will be welcomed by me too. I have a 7mm version in the drawer but I have invested in the Isinglass drawing as a starting point.

Hi Rob,

Do you have a copy of BRM May 2010 (Volume 18 No. 2)? It has a six page feature on building a Hush Hush, based on the Ace Kits model plus a David Andrews 1928 Corridor Tender Kit (and a bit of scratchbuilding thrown in for good measure). Well worth a read, especially for a 7mm version.

Many thanks also for the other replies - I have the MRJ Compendium so I'll give the article a read.

HTH

Brian

• RMweb Premium

I've just found the following information:

W1 Class 4-6-4 (Hush-Hush)

Gresley

1 locomotive was built in November 1929 and was rebuilt in November 1937. It was withdrawn in June 1959

Milbro (Mills) 1931 O Manufacturer closed down Ready to run

Maintrack 1986 OO Status unknown Ready to run, limited edition

SouthEast Finecast 1982 4mm Catalogue Kit, rebuilt version

Golden Arrow 1987 4mm Status unknown Kit, rebuilt version

DJH / Tower / Milburn

& Milburn 2000 O Not currently produced Kit. Limited edition (50)

Ace Products 2007 O Catalogue Kit

There's information on many other kits (and RTR also), here:

http://www.mremag.com/articles/col-18.12.99/MREmag%20Loco%20Database.htm

HTH.

Brian

Hi Rob,

Do you have a copy of BRM May 2010 (Volume 18 No. 2)? It has a six page feature on building a Hush Hush, based on the Ace Kits model plus a David Andrews 1928 Corridor Tender Kit (and a bit of scratchbuilding thrown in for good measure). Well worth a read, especially for a 7mm version.

Many thanks also for the other replies - I have the MRJ Compendium so I'll give the article a read.

HTH

Brian

Thanks Brian, I do have that article, I was considering an Ace kit at that point and a friend who had a subscription suggested I buy a copy. But subsequently picked up a Medley Models kit (missing from your list but still alive and kicking - he was in December when he dropped some stuff of at my house) which has a resin boiler and is all in Nickel. I haven't started it yet but Steve Hoyle (at least I think it's Steve) from medley kindly did me a drawing of the tender coal space (the only bit of the kit that someone had played withdry.gif).

• RMweb Premium

I built one of these from the SEF kit fairly recently, as far as I remember the loco went together quite well but the tender wasn't right - I used a spare etched one instead (I think it was Proscale). A couple of photos before it went to Ian Rathbone for painting.

Michael Edge

post-1643-0-13792800-1297666624_thumb.jpg

post-1643-0-77866700-1297666636_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Nice job Michael,

when I first saw your post I thought you'd branched out in a BIG way :lol:

The W1 is on my list of "weird locos I would like to have" so this thread will come in very useful.

So what exactly is wrong with the tender in the SEF kit? not being much of an LNER man

Very nice Loco. Are the lost wax parts on footplate cylinders etc replacement parts? My rebuild version never had such nice parts as standard.If they are replacements what is your source for them ? Please post some pictures when painted .

Redgate see my earlier post re Tender. It is also quite chunky and very heavy.

• RMweb Premium

I can't remember why I didn't use the tender but 10000 had a tender of the 1928 type (the original corridor tenders) but the turn in of the sides at the front was less and it had disc wheels. It still didn't match up with the cab of 10000 though. At about the same time I built this 7mm one so the research came in handy.

Michael Edge

post-1643-0-92921700-1297688301_thumb.jpg

..I have invested in the Isinglass drawing as a starting point.

Does this neatly summarise the changes to external form of the machine in water tube boiler guise? I recall being very surprised to see early photos showing no splasher over the leading driver among other things. That must have been attended too once enough maintenance staff had complained about the track dirt going 'everywhere'.

Interesting aside on the original water tube boilered machine. The late father of a schoolfriend was a premium apprentice under Mr Bulleid, and once told me that he had expressed the wish that there had been the money to try the turbine drive developed on the LMS with this boiler, as the reciprocating motion, (both direct vibration and the pulsing draw of the induced draught) were quite probably the cause of the casing's propensity to air leaks which of course led to considerable thermal loss. The continuous draught intrinsic to the draw induced by a turbine exhaust, the reduced vibration, the unidirectional thermal cycle and better match of a turbine to the higher pressure output of this boiler design, all suggested that this would have been the better way to use the steam. The water tube boiler apparently went on to perform very well once grounded (at Stooperdale?) and used as a plant steam supply, lasting until 1966.

Archived