M G Sharp

torkardlane

No I dont think thats the case although I know live in the US I heard that Bill passed away a few years ago Margaret I believe retired and the son took over.

David Cooke Snr

A Brit in the USA.

Could this be the classic example of an "old technology" company not fully understanding "new technology"?

As a husband wife partnership operating many years ago when everything happened at postage pace everything worked fine.

Now they are much older and everything operates through the internet and email the pace has outstripped them. The website is very clunky and that is perhaps also reinforcing that idea.

I have to say that I placed two orders last year (A1 kits) and both were filled quite promptly and without error.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well after trying to contact the shop on the phone but no answer I thought an email or two would resolve matters for an order that was placed on the 17th december 2010 and to date I've only recieved one part the rst are still on back order it's time to contact the trading standards people to see if anything can be done and also contact my credit card company to put a claim in for goods not recieved .

I will not be using this company ever again as they obviously don't care about customer service especially now that times are getting hard ?

I had a “good†experience with “Sharpysâ€. I ordered a few A1 bits and at the time I was out of masking tape, so I just added it to the order, seemed it would save me a car journey. Two days latter a parcel, dropped through the letter box, containing the three quid roll of tape, and an invoice indicating that the A1 model bits were on back order. The invoice showed that I had been charged the minimum postal fee of £3.75, cheep roll of tape I thought. Over the next three months, the rest of the order arrived, and by the time the order was complete ( and I had sourced most of the bits elsewhere) I had shelled out £11.25 for a 20 quid order.

Great service M G S

Gary

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing much seems to have changed at M G Sharp. I ordered some Kadee couplers in January and my card was charged in full. I have not received my couplers and no replies to my e mails. If I ever get my couplers I will never order from this company again.

Just catching up with my year end stuff and found a charge from MG. Hmm, I say. Don't remember ever getting anything from them lately. Checking further they HAVE charged me for 2 items that have been on back order now for 10 months. I've sent off several emails with no reply. I've contacted Walthers about the items I was after and they are out of production so there is no way MG is going to be able to get them in. They should know this and update the status of the order or at least contact me. I guess a phone call & snail mail nasty-gram on some fancy headed paper is called for.

I was going to give them the benefit of a doubt but it seems to be a common operating procedure for them. Customer orders, items not in stock, card charged anyway, items never ordered from supplier, stoney wall of silence when customer tries to get a status of the order. Considering the £££ I've put into their till over the years, never again! Add me to the list of dis-satisfied former MG customers. From now on if I can't get what I want from the Penguin or Model Junction I'll order from Canada or the US.

As I have posted before dont rely on eMails, with small businesses like MGS, simply pick up the phone and ask!!

I have dealt with MGS for many years without any problems but I would never rely on any other form of enquiry/order than the telephone,

I get an immediate answer to the stok availability order is place on the spot so to speak and it usually arrive next day!

This practise is my usual approach to ordering from many of our smaller retailers and it works, the only exception to this is Hattons from whom I order very frequently, their online system is fine. But of course they are not a small business.

I don't think that it is acceptable in the 21st century to dismiss e mails.

On first take I would agree.

But a public email can be inundated with spam and it is very difficult to filter out the chaff from the customer - especially if the customer has an @gmail @ hotmail @anyotherfreemail or keeps sending nagging emails. It can take alot of time to do this filtering manually and time is not what many small trader has.

I think there are many traders who do use email and respond very quickly - but there is an easy remedy if an email doesn't get through, telephone or send snail mail - but don't be MrAngry or what may be your first contact to be heard/seen will not be taken favourably. But certainly don't start complaining until you have tried an alternate means of contact.

On first take I would agree.

But a public email can be inundated with spam and it is very difficult to filter out the chaff from the customer - especially if the customer has an @gmail @ hotmail @anyotherfreemail or keeps sending nagging emails. It can take alot of time to do this filtering manually and time is not what many small trader has.

But there are many automated ways of overcoming this. We use a piece of software called Mailwasher - we can both examine and get rid of unwanted emails from the mail server rather than having to download them first and go through them one by one. Once an email address has been identified as spam the software takes over. It is possible to monitor emails at a time interval specified by the user.

The problem with Mailwasher and similar programs is that if you are receiving upwards of 500 emails a day (typical when you have a public identity and have been around a bit - that is my average for Loco Shed Index) there are still numerous false negative and other new spam variants to be learned. You still end up manually checking either desperate not to miss a sale (those who are content with email) or simply accepting that some emails/customers will be lost in the simple expectation that they will telephone.

It probably comes down to how much you are keen to embrace the technology and spend time working at it.

I think the conclusion from the appearance of some websites you can get a reasonable impression.

• RMweb Premium

As I have posted before dont rely on eMails, with small businesses like MGS, simply pick up the phone and ask!!

What about those who are hearing impaired and cannot use the telephone readily? They rely 100% on email and online ordering so cannot resort to the telephone when emails go unanswered!

I'm VERY lucky that my cochlear implant allows me to use the telephone now but when I was using my hearing aid before my operation, telephones were instruments of hell!

I only live about an hour away from MG Sharp. On my most recent visits, I've only seen the son, and one assistant working in there.

The shop is well stocked with an amazing array of mostly, US, European and Japanese models. My impression is that the staff are probably working flat out, keeping the shop ticking over, as there's always customers in there.

Sometimes, I've been in the shop, just as they've had a large delivery. I almost feel sorry for the two of them then, there's hardly any room for customers to move, it's incredible, as it's not a very large shop.

Business often seems brisk, in my view, they could do to employ someone experienced and trustworthy, to help out sometimes, at least.

telephones were instruments of hell!

I can only agree with that completely - even though I use one at work - all the home phones (3) go to answerphone.

But there is always snail mail, which generally works just like an email - especially if you print off the email, add your own address and print an address label to the recipient. Stick one in and one on an envelope add a postage stamp and pop it in the letter box ....

It has been a few years since I last ordered from them, A-1 parts. The stuff showed up promptly.

Their website does seem to imply items 'may be in stock' and you take your chances, they also don't state that they only charge when items are shipped.

http://www.mgsharp.com/Mail_Order.htm

I'd order from someone 'less cottage' if what I needed was available elsewhere...

To illustrate my point about e mails I also make scale model aircraft, Airfix and Hasegawa etc. I wanted some aftermarket resin parts and found they are made by a cottage industry manufacturer and stocked by a small, one man band, model shop in Texas. At the end of January the shop website listed my parts as out of stock so I emailed the shop owner to ask if he expected any more stock. He replied the next day to say he expected more stock in February. I got an email this morning to tell me he has stock so I ordered from the shop website and my order was acknmowledged and despatch promised for tomorrow. The website invites customers or prospective customers to email with any questions and these emails receive a reply.

The website invites customers or prospective customers to email with any questions and these emails receive a reply.

So, just one example of a small trader who has engaged with the internet technology, there are others.

But it is not for everyone. and we have several examples of traders refusing point blank to use it and others who dabble in it not really liking it but feeling they have to. Their websites possibly put up by amateurs and on the cheap and possibly with no full interaction with the medium.

I think we have already established that M G Sharp is likely to be in the second category. No amount of complaining is likely to change that situation. So what is wrong with using the telephone or snail mail? Perhaps folk should only continue to complain about service when they have explored the traditional methods of communication and found that lacking.

I am not trying to defend M G Sharpe but I do think they are being unfairly slagged off here by some who just cannot be bothered to use this seller's primary means of interacting with their customers.

I think the problem is that potential customers find a large and apparently comprehensive website with e-commerce facilities and tend to assume that if the retailer has gone to the time and trouble of setting it up they will also be able to honour purchases made through that site. If that is not the case then they should do what many other suppliers do, reduce the website to a catalogue or shop window and give details of how to order by mail/phone/fax. As well as improving their reputation this would save them time/money on maintaining the site and paying for e-commerce.

And now for a positive comment.....

Last Thurs 24th Feb - rang to ask about availability of some Microtrains 'N' gauge couplings. Very helpful lady confirmed items were in stock.

Immediately placed order for the goods via the website and received all the items early Saturday morning. Result - a very satisfied customer!!

Moral of this is to always ring to check stock availability before ordering.

Cheers,

HC

I think the problem is that potential customers find a large and apparently comprehensive website with e-commerce facilities and tend to assume that if the retailer has gone to the time and trouble of setting it up they will also be able to honour purchases made through that site. If that is not the case then they should do what many other suppliers do, reduce the website to a catalogue or shop window and give details of how to order by mail/phone/fax. As well as improving their reputation this would save them time/money on maintaining the site and paying for e-commerce.

Again, I disagree.

Changing the website to "a catalogue / shop window" would be a waste of valuable time or mean the owner spending money on a professional web designer. Remember I suspect the reason why the site is not updated is because the owner either is unable, has no time to do it, or simply cannot be bothered.

The site seems to work perfectly for placing orders - you get no errors. The problem is the owber does not seem to "see" emails.

The complaints above all seem to be based on the "my order was processed" "but the goods have not all arrived" "my email is not answered" type of complaint.

The website does display both an address and a contact telephone number - so use them !

The telephone and fax numbers are very prominent in the header of each page and there is a very clear message about email spam filtering and the preferred method of contact.

I have to disagree with Kenton. If I go online, perform a purchase transaction online, with all the resulting communications from from MG and Worldpay in the form of emails, including a follow email up to show the item(s) are back ordered, then like most reasonable people I expect to continue to use the same medium for further communication. It also gives me an audit trail of what was said and when so there is no chance of either side being misquoted.

To create an analogy. Imagine if you ran a shop in the 70's that produced a catalogue. On that catalogue was a phone number for ordering. I call and order from you. You call back later to tell me the item is out of stock but have still charged my credit card. I try calling you back only to be ignored because I'm not ordering. What's the difference? Would someone automatically assume that they now have to start sending letters or telegrams because your telex and postal address are printed somewhere in the catalogue?

If MG want to operate as an online business then they need to behave like an online business. Not half arsed.

In my case its not that they've not replied to my emails. The fact is they've known for months the items I ordered can no longer be obtained but they seem to be hoping I will forget so they can trouser the money they've charged without having to supply. Again a company that is serious about doing business online or any business should have a review process in place to revisit all pending backorders on a regular basis. It shouldn't have to be up to me to keep poking them with a sharp stick (phone call, letter) just to get a reply because they can't be arsed.

AndrewC, I still think it is a case of your attitude (one of insisting and expecting others to operate on your terms) versus MGSharp's apparent attitude of having poor care for that type of customer.

You are probably not alone.

To the vast majority of customers who are happy to use the telephone or snail mail when, and if, problems occur they get on and resolve the issue.

No amount of complaining on an open forum is going to change the situation - all it does is publicly malign what others have clearly accepted as normal business practice for MGSharp. It doesn't get your money refunded and it doesn't get the goods sent out any quicker. If anything it is more likely to antagonise and potentially delay any resulting customer contact through the preferred medium when you take that route, and take that route you must or nothing will ever happen.

It might not be ideal business practice but it is something you just have to learn to live with when dealing with small traders - a fact of life just like some of them not accepting credit cards.

PS. I suspect the WorldPay, back-order and order received emails are automatically generated by the web site shopping basket software and that there was no human involvement on behalf of MGSharp. A basic function of all shopping basket systems.

No amount of complaining on an open forum is going to change the situation - all it does is publicly malign what others have clearly accepted as normal business practice for MGSharp.

It does in fact serve a useful purpose IMHO. It warns everybody reading it not to deal with MGS via web or email but that the firm is probably OK to deal with by phone, letter or visit. It also suggests that items that appear to be in stock on the site may not actually be so.

From your previous posts you seem to expect that anyone stumbling on the website, including e-commerce, without having read this thread would somehow deduce that they should not order via the website but instead log off and pick up the phone. This I submit is a tad unreasonable. To whoever it was who phoned for availability then ordered online, why not just continue the phone call and order by phone?

All they have to do is remove the online ordering facilities and the stock levels but leave the rest up as a catalogue of what you might be able to order from them by phone etc. Not much effort as far as I can see.

From your previous posts you seem to expect that anyone stumbling on the website, including e-commerce, without having read this thread would somehow deduce that they should not order via the website but instead log off and pick up the phone. This I submit is a tad unreasonable. To whoever it was who phoned for availability then ordered online, why not just continue the phone call and order by phone?

No I expect them to use the website and probably get exactly what they have ordered.

But for the few who do have a problem I also expect them to be "reasonable" and to follow the advice on the contacts page that clearly states the problem with emails and preferred method of contact.

I would agree that the stock levels have been misleading and could do with removal. But as I keep stating you and others seem to think that MGSharp are actively in control of their site. They clearly are not, or at least it is a low priority compared to answering the telephone and filling their customer's orders.

I do wonder just how many of those complaining do have one of those instantly junked email addresses so frequently used by spammers and blocked by email spam filters (@hotmail, @gmail, @yahoo, etc)?

I just cannot see what the problem is. Pick up the telephone or write a letter, instead of posting on here the matter could have been sorted.

It makes me start to wonder if it is just another one of those internet vendettas you see so often on forums, but thought RMWebbers were well above.

I would think otherwise if those complaining here had actually picked up the phone, spoken to MGSharp and still had no redress.

Archived