M G Sharp

torkardlane

• 10 months later...

Ordered some stuff from them in june, took payment in full then sent me half an order with the other half to be fulfilled in due course. Despite 4 emails and 3 telephone calls ( all with a promise of a call back that never happened ) and a good old fashioned letter sent recorded delivery, i am still left without half an order and 40 quid down. What really bugs me is that everything was in stock when i ordered and now they have my money they seem unwilling and unable to answer whether i will get my stuff or if it cannot be sourced a refund. Not being helped by a wall of silence

Ordered some stuff from them in june, took payment in full then sent me half an order with the other half to be fulfilled in due course. Despite 4 emails and 3 telephone calls ( all with a promise of a call back that never happened ) and a good old fashioned letter sent recorded delivery, i am still left without half an order and 40 quid down. What really bugs me is that everything was in stock when i ordered and now they have my money they seem unwilling and unable to answer whether i will get my stuff or if it cannot be sourced a refund. Not being helped by a wall of silence

Thats not the situation I've had with them. I placed an order over 18 months ago and get a parcel every now and then and each time something that was on back order arrives then they take the payment and send the card payment invoice with the order. I would check if payment was actually taken for the full amount.

• RMweb Gold

Citizens advice ...

If you have ordered on a credit card then you should be able to claim back the value of the missing goods 'as not received'.

There is normally a 30 day delivery window before you can make the claim, seeing as it was June I think you are well within your rights to ask for the money back.

I placed an order for two items; there was no indication that they would be 'back orders'. The order went in September 2009 - the first part arrived in Feb 2010. The second part? Who knows, I'm still waiting!

Numerous emails have been sent, not on ehas been answered.

I for one will never use this company again.

Compare this with Miller Engineering in the States. I have had problems with their billboard signs. An email gets an immediate response, and the promise of a replacement, which arrives almost by the next post! This is the kind of service we should expect and receive.

Dave

• 1 month later...

I wish I'd read the above comment before placing my order today for the Micro-trains starter couplers pack. There was no indication the item wasn't in stock. But having placed the order using RBS Wordpay, which seems to carge you at the point of ordering(?) I now have an email telling me it is on back order! I woudn't have ordered if I'd known it wasn't in stock. Not happy.

• 3 weeks later...

Still not received the coupler pack btw. The good news is they did get around to replying to my email three weeks after I sent it. They're expecting more in stock next week apparently. Pretty poor considering they were supposed to be in stock when I ordered them. I could have bought them from elsewhere by now. Awful service and communication.

Im gutted to put my first post here but i ordered Kadee couplings nearly a month ago have taken payment for the items.

I rang last week and was told they would be back in stock this week unfortunatly its now thursday with no sign or email from them?

• RMweb Gold

Im gutted to put my first post here but i ordered Kadee couplings nearly a month ago have taken payment for the items.

I rang last week and was told they would be back in stock this week unfortunatly its now thursday with no sign or email from them?

well, you could have put a workbench or layout post in telling everyone what you need the Kadees for in the first place ;)

• 3 weeks later...

well, you could have put a workbench or layout post in telling everyone what you need the Kadees for in the first place ;)

Yep your right will be on the case!!

Just to let everyone know i have now recieved them and all is good. Having great fun not using the hand of god!

I'm beginning to thing M G Sharp is trying to replace Walthers as the undisputed champion of the 'back order'. I've got bits from various orders over the past 18 months that are still on 'back order'. I've since managed to get the stuff from elsewhere but I'm curious to see just how long some of these things will take, if they ever arrive. Never been billed for items not in stock though. I do wish they would update their website with some sort of inventory control the way Model Junction does. (not in stock, not displayed)

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I certainly wish I had read this thread as I also ordered various bits for a detailing project and to date I have only received one part and even that was the wrong part that I've not originally ordered.

I have tried to contact them several times by telephone but nobody seems to answer I've also emailed several times but I only got a reply after the third email they insisted that I never tried to contact them but when it comes my emails they have a receipt system so i know they have received my emails.

But back to my original order they have put the rest of my request on back order but they have still charged me so I won't be using this company again !!

Had a similar experience re. stuff purportedly in stock on the website suddenly was on back order after I had ordered and been charged.

However a quick e-mail sorted it out with a prompt courteous response and a rapid credit back to my card.

It's a shame because I used to do all my model railway shopping there in my youth; I still remember the amazement I had when I entered their cornucopia of a shop - 726 Attercliffe Road I can still remember the address 25 years later!

This has also happened to me. I hope they realize that it is totally against credit card company policy for merchants to bill customers for goods until they are physically to hand and prepared for despatch.

If they were to receive too many complaints or/and chargebacks to this effect, they could well be fined or lose their payment processor.

Same here, I ordered eight items through their website in the middle of December money was taken immediately. Two items turned up and I am still waiting for the others, no response to e-mails.

They also had the cheek to put "Don't Forget For Up To Date Information See Our Web Site" on the invoice

I'm glad the model rail business is not dominated by large multinationals and has lots of small businesses but some of them really need to get their act together. Many people will be put off the trying the finer details of modelling if they have to go to several different suppliers for the parts to finish a model and half those suppliers can't fulfil the orders and can't even be bothered to send an e-mail saying when they will be able to. The reason these small companies still exist is because they are supplying a need, when they stop supplying that need they will no longer exist.

• 2 weeks later...

Agree with the frustrations of fellow modellers concerning the dreaded 'back order' when items are out of stock. The website has no info regarding current stock levels of items so placing an online order is a pure shot in the dark. However, they are quick to take your full money up front.

To their credit they are very efficient when things are in stock and I am very happy with their delivery times.

The way I find best to deal with the situation is to give them a call to check if items are in stock and then only order those that are currently available. It must be a nightmare for them to keep answering stock level 'phone queries, (which they do very cheerfully, I might add), but will, hopefully, prompt them to think about upgrading the website to one linked to their stock level control system. The latter would save them the hassle and save their customers the frustrations.

I have dealt with MGS for over 25 years,, BUT I would suggese that when placing orders DO NOT use the internet just pick up the phone and ask the question re avaiability at that moment in time!!

I have never had any problems.

I do note though that MGS do not seem to advertise themselves much these days, no adverts in the model press any more.

I used to work for them 35 years ago when Bill and Margaret ran the shop ,such a shame to see them like this.

David Cooke Snr

A Brit in the USA

Had a similar experience re. stuff purportedly in stock on the website suddenly was on back order after I had ordered and been charged.

However a quick e-mail sorted it out with a prompt courteous response and a rapid credit back to my card.

It's a shame because I used to do all my model railway shopping there in my youth; I still remember the amazement I had when I entered their cornucopia of a shop - 726 Attercliffe Road I can still remember the address 25 years later!

Well i'll add my two penneth, ive had a very similar experiece to alot of guys on here, ive been waiting for a set of headlights now for about 14 month, and when you ring the answer you get is, "we cant place an order with our supplier until we have the minimum order to make", which i feel is a bit of a swizz! and that was from an order i rang through, also they once sent me a set of A1 models etched walkways...with nothing in the pack! but to there credit after I spoke to them they soon sent me an order out...complete with etches.

Regards,

Dave.

Could this be the classic example of an "old technology" company not fully understanding "new technology"?

As a husband wife partnership operating many years ago when everything happened at postage pace everything worked fine.

Now they are much older and everything operates through the internet and email the pace has outstripped them. The website is very clunky and that is perhaps also reinforcing that idea.

I have to say that I placed two orders last year (A1 kits) and both were filled quite promptly and without error.

Archived