Fotopic

BigAndy

• RMweb Gold
Brief synopsis:

Lots of heat and little light. Lots of angry people. Talk of Joel's (fotopic's creator before the previous owners) new site Pikfu which is being tested...

Thanks for that response Martyn.

I'd always been quite impressed by Flickr personally, but i'm using a free account there for another purpose (it will synch with Wordpress in a nice way so i'm using it for image hosting for our layout images) so I don't really want to clog that up with lots of images that are irrelevant to the Wordpress sites.

I've never liked the look of photobucket or imageshack personally, although photobucket seems to have come a long way from it's roots.

I'm keeping an eye out to see what Pikfu looks like: http://www.pikfu.com/ - especially if (with coming from the same person) it was to include an easy way to transfer your content from Fotopic! He's written a program that saves a copy of your content already...

Andy - many thanks for the offer but I'd feel wrong about inflicting putting the number of images i've got on fotopic on here.

Andy - many thanks for the offer but I'd feel wrong about inflicting putting the number of images i've got on fotopic on here.

Just trying to recognise and encourage quality where I see it. ;)

Personally, never liked the Flickr or photobucket interface, plus photobucket performance seems to be very variable while Flickr and imageshack are both blocked by a lot of corporate networks...

Another option I came across recently is 'SmugMug' which looks impressive and flexible in how to view photos. It doesn't have a 'free' option though - cheapest option is US$40 per year...

See here for a good example gallery including some railway content (from I believe a former fotopic user...)

Paul

From the google group posted by Joel:

I must admit I'm surprised we haven't had a call here yet screaming

'help' but there's hardly anything in Leeds any more. I'm wondering if they

tried to move the IP block and something went wrong (which would show the

effects we're seeing now).

Oh BTW, a moment of clarification: <http://blog.joel.co.uk/?itemid=777>

If I hear anything, I'll post it here. Don't hold yer breath tho, I have a

dayjob to do and things...

Fotopic was working yesterday, but today OpenDNS * says:

"Hmm, fotopic.net isn't loading right now.

The computers that run fotopic.net are having some trouble. "

In more detail:

Nameserver trace for fotopic.net:

Looking for who is responsible for root zone and followed a.root-servers.net.

Looking for who is responsible for net and followed l.gtld-servers.net.

Looking for who is responsible for fotopic.net and followed ns0.fotopic.net.

Nameservers for fotopic.net:

ns0.fotopic.net returned (SERVFAIL)

ns1.fotopic.net returned (SERVFAIL)

* we're connected via OpenDNS (after ISP) - blocks phishing sites etc.

Barry,

Cambrian Models

Been having a play with the free trial of smugmug tonight, comments welcome!

http://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/

I need to do a lot on captioning I think but I was trying to get a bit of "quantity" in there to get an idea of how it would look.

I have to say I'm not keen. Your 'site' seems too self contained for me, can you link pics of yours to other's related pics in any way? Is there any way of meta data tagging the pics?

Already! A play with the trial has been on my to do list for a while...

From the viewer perspective, seems to do the job, no fuss no clutter, easy to navigate...

What is the upload process like (speed, ease of use etc)?

Paul

I have to say I'm not keen. Your 'site' seems too self contained for me, can you link pics of yours to other's related pics in any way?

I suspect not, unless via something like Facebook...but as that wasn't a feature of fotopic either i'm not sure whether it's something i'm likely to miss?

Is there any way of meta data tagging the pics?

You can caption and add keywords?

I have to say I'm not keen. Your 'site' seems too self contained for me, can you link pics of yours to other's related pics in any way? Is there any way of meta data tagging the pics?

From what I've seen, 'Tagging' photos with key words is certainly possible and there is a 'system wide' search function across different users' galleries.

Not sure if there is anything like the Fotopic communities (not that I ever found it particularly effective...)

What is the upload process like (speed, ease of use etc)?

Speed and the ease of upload itself is great, there's a nice "drag & drop" element to that which I find very satisfying! B)

There's a bit of a learning curve with setting up the pages how you want, i'm still "trial & erroring" that bit! That side of things isn't quite as simple as fotopic, but then I think it gives more options. I think it's mostly a case of getting used to it.

Anyhow, must stop playing around and get some sleep!

FWIW i've put captions and keywords onto the East Midland Trains gallery - I *think* there is something in there about it running "smart galleries" where images automatically appear in different galleries depending on keywords...I might have to play with that over the weekend.

There is a "communities" feature (and a share group, which is sort of an off-list community?), not looked at those properly yet though. The FP one always seemed somewhat half finished, you could join a community but it didn't do a lot to link common sites.

• RMweb Gold

I need to do a lot on captioning I think but I was trying to get a bit of "quantity" in there to get an idea of how it would look.

Not convinced yet I'm afraid :unsure:

Rumours that fotopic was hacked, which would fit with the first trace I did where the end point was not what I was expecting, I'm going to give it a few days and see if it comes back :blink:

• RMweb Gold

I like fotopic's format - e.g. better than flickr - but this does seem to be well-organised, too. Server seemed very responsive, even though I'm looking at it mid-morning. Ought to be on a shortlist - if fotopic really has gone belly-up.

I'll be looking to move my site(s) to somewhere other than Fotopic irrespective of whether it comes back or not Dave. This latest outage is just a further knock to my already dented confidence in fotopic's abilities/interest on top of all the others we've had. Keeping paying customers informed at a basic level when you have problems shouldn't be difficult and should be a high priority whether this outage is their fault or not.

(Leaving aside the work involved in migrating thousands of images to somewhere new) the *only* thing I think Fotopic still has going for it is that it's the first "go to" place to find UK railway images as it is so heavily used by the UK enthusiast community - there is just so much relevant stuff on there.

But with more and more folk becoming less and less satisfied with the way it's being run I fear that it will be hit by a spiral of less subscribers = less income to cover the costs = even less interest from the folk running it and eventually the situation will become untenable. Joel creating "Fotopic mkII" with Pikfu I think will just accelarate that process.

Maybe another company will come along, buy fotopic up and at the very least look like they are interested - or maybe not. I just don't think I want to risk being still sat there when the lights go out for the final time.

Still playing with Smugmug, style/layout etc suggestions welcome, 13 days of free trial to go before I either go for it or pull the plug! ;)

what I liked about it is that most railway enthusiasts used it, then some started using flickr, if we all start using different ones it makes the searching for images a lot longer.

ie it was good to have them all in one place.

its like ebay, now people are using other auction sites and it makes finding things harder

hope it comes back soon

'Tis all very well saying 'just move your images' etc but my Fotopic site has/ had(?) over 1400 images and stacks and stacks of carefully captioned info which would be lost forever if Fotopic disappeared. I wouldn't want to go through the whole process again - no way! Maybe that would be the time to hang up the cameras for good and give this digital malarky a very wide berth...

Dudley

http://www.dudleys-photos.co.uk

Archived