Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Which layouts have really inspired you?

PGN

For me the following:

1. Stoke Summit, just watching the trains go by, wonderful.

2. Barrow Road, still in it's infancy, but the standard, consistent standard of modelling being put into it is truly inspirational.

3. JSW's New Street, the sheer volume and artistry shown are awesome.

Mike

High Dyke- I saw it at Leeds early eighties

Stocksfield-Birtley MRC I helped build it(I personally thouhgt it never reached its full potential)

Buckingham-I was a child in the early 60's and always looked forward to my dad getting Railway Modeller and Buckingham always facsinated me

The late Frank Dyer's "Borchester Town" was my greatest inspiration and even today and fifty years on I see in his then articles the railway I knew as a boy. The early writing of Chris Pendleton mid '60's in the now long gone "Model Railway Constructor" was also an inspiration. "From Little Acorns Grow Mighty Oaks", the later of course being "North Shields".

To move on to modern times and despite having a "Vested Interest" of sorts, another great inspiration to me is my mate Mike Megginson's "Hessle Haven".

Best Wishes, Mick Nicholson.

• 2 weeks later...

I mentioned Borchester Market earlier on this thread and having seen it at Railex it's reinforced my view of how it shaped my thinking 30 years ago, both through the articles in Model Railways and seeing it in the flesh at the MRJ bash. Hard to comprehend that that show was over 20 years ago and most of the articles were written over 30 years since.

Ironic that I've seen this layout more times in the last few years, in it's preserved form, than I did in it's heyday and I doubt I'm alone in that.

For me a big inspiration is the scenery, the buildings, the landscape, so mine are:

Tetleys Mills - Dave Shakespeare - just captures that mill town atmosphere perfectly

Dewsbury Midland - MMRS - the buildings are amazing

Catcott Burtle - Chris Nevard - a little layout with a big impact, awe inspiring attention to detail

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

The early writing of Chris Pendleton mid '60's in the now long gone "Model Railway Constructor" was also an inspiration. "From Little

I had a few copies pf that publication, including one long since disappeared which I would love to see again. It was a feature about a North Staffordshire Railway layout, set I think early 2oth century; and again it was a fair size and the trains actually went somewhere.

I think it was 3mm.

Chris

I probably have the magazines here. The NSR was indeed 3mm. Mick.

I had a few copies pf that publication, including one long since disappeared which I would love to see again. It was a feature about a North Staffordshire Railway layout, set I think early 2oth century; and again it was a fair size and the trains actually went somewhere.

I think it was 3mm.

Chris

When inspiration is mentioned, there are so many different areas of interest to become inspired by.

Big layouts that are hard to walk away from, but not based on a prototype or area I model personally:

Deepcar - now off the circuit - great modelling, fantastic catenary, unusual prototype - nice to see kit built EM1's, captures the essence of the Woodhead route perfectly.

Dewsbury Midland - Exceptional modelling of buildings, especially on gradients. Nicely weathered with well detailed stock, appeals to both steam and diesel modellers alike.

Wibdenshaw - Nice modelling of buildings and structures with fantastic attention to tiny details. The thing that really sets the creative juices flowing is seeing the amazing amount of detail applied to the rolling stock and all the kit and scratch built wagons. Makes you want to get home and get stuck into all those unbuilt Parkside kits.

Small rural layouts which excel on the level of detail and draw you in:

Catcott Burtle - Exquisite detail right down to the last blade of grass.

Enginewood - Very nice finescale modelling from our very own CK.

Highclere - Damned good modelling in 2mm and amazingly intrecate scratchbuilding.

Urban Grot, which is my main area of interest:

Saffron Street: - Nice portrayal of a cross London line going over the rooftops.

Hornsey Broadway - Captures the essence of the GN main line near Kings Cross and Finsbury Park Depot very nicely.

Halifax King's Cross - Nice broken station canopies and overgrown trackwork. Good weathering.

Harford Street - The original work by Jim and Charlie Connor got me interested in modelling London's railways and trying to capture the essence of the North London Railway.

South Pimlico - Captured the whole atmosphere of Battersea in the late 60's very nicely.

• Like 2

Impossible to limit this to 3!

3 from the past:

Heckmondwyke - Just awesome, country station that looks absolutely right. The inspiration for my own Chathill station (Though mine is NER rather than MR) Does the NRM still have it in storage? love to see it working again.

Buckingham - and the automatic Crispin superb layout, and set me on the route to work out how to make trains run reliably and automatically, though my answer relies on DCC and computers!

David Jenkinson's "little long drag" - Huge shame he never finished it. Made me want my own huge main line with scale length trains.

And 3 from the present

Tetleys Mills - atmosphere, atmosphere atmosphere

Dewsbury Midland - fiction, but so believable.

Stoke Summit & The Gresley Beat. - Two wonderful examples of my favourite ECML. Spent hours at York watching them both, so they must be good.

OK I know I can't count.

• Like 1