RMweb

Worsdell forever's Workbench - Loads of North Eastern Stuff

• RMweb Gold

Paul

Q6 cab window openings are 1' 6" wide and 2' 0" deep (6mm x 8mm). The actual window was in a wooden frame the glass was 3/4" (0.5mm) less than the cab sheet cutout.

ArthurK

Thanks Arthur,

They're just a bit less than this but I can live with it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Before I get started on the J77 (need wheels, motor and gearbox first) I thought I would build another NER brakevan. This kit is from Bill Bedford and is of a V1/1, the earlier version than the Slaters kit (V1/3). There were differences between the two, the V1/1's had horizontal planks and the V1/3's were vertical (door planks on both were vertical) it is thought that the vertical planks were used as water runs off better than horizontal - so extending their life, it's strange then that so many of the earlier vans have survived! . The V1/1 was 8' wide and the V1/3 was 7'6". The wheelbase on the V1/1 was 9'6" and the V1/3 varied between 9'6" and 10'3". 

The Kit.

As with all Bills kits the etchings are very good but of course there are no instructions, which has led to a little back tracking here and there! there are also a couple of details that needed to be changed, more of those later. As before I'm referring to Ian Sadlers book.

The basic box put together, the first bits of strapping/washer plates have been added (didn't know about the door frames at this point).

post-7104-0-73271000-1359716477_thumb.jpg

Topcote inner end, more strapping and end stantions fitted, these were a bit of a faf, the sides are connected with 2 links and the top soldered to this there must be an easy way of doing this!

post-7104-0-48248500-1359716488_thumb.jpg

The underframe folded up, the solebar overlays and bottom steps are one piece and fit into slots in the floor, very good design!

post-7104-0-90764000-1359716500_thumb.jpg

Body on the basic underframe.

post-7104-0-49640200-1359716511_thumb.jpg

This was where I realised that there were some door frames on the etch, looks a lot better now. There is a problem with the doors in that they are identical where they should be handed, both opening away from the topcote, one will need new holes for the grab handle. There are a couple of alterations in this shot, the windows have been enlarged and the end step positions as etched seem to be wrong, they are etched with two in the centre section next to each other and they should be in a diagonal line bottom left (of the van) to top right (of the centre section).

post-7104-0-36606600-1359716521_thumb.jpg

The painted underframe, runs quite well, it is sprung although with the axleboxes fitted there isn't a lot of movement! This kit is the first time I've come across 3D printed parts, the axlebox/springs and buffers are made this way. They aren't as crisp as a good whitemetal casting but on the plus side there in no flash to clean up.

post-7104-0-24861200-1359716533_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

I have one of Bill's NER V3 6 wheel brake vans I must get round to building, note to self ; need to pick up a set of wheels for this at Doncaster.

I have a real fascination with Brake Vans especially those of the NER. What I really want is a V5 Ballast Plough Brake Van, I know there is one available in 7mm and it would be interesting to see if the owner of this range would reduce the artworks to produce a 4mm version of the etches, if the origination charge was to be covered and a minimum order quantity commited to. The gentleman in question has certainly offered this in the past with his Dia U20 Steel Snow Plough, which I seem to recall was offered in the NERA journal a few years back.

That then brings me to another wagon I really want, namely the NER S1 Ironstone Hopper. In one of the early MRJ mags there was someone based in Pickering who had made an etch for this wagon for his layout based on the Rosedale branch. I tried to purchase a batch but he never got enough orders to do a second production run. However, again this wagon is available from another 7mm manufacturer and again wonder if he could be persuaded to reduce his artworks to 4mm for a batch run, subject to origination costs being covered and an economically viable production run being commited to.

In my railway world there would be nothing better than a NER 0.6.0 loco pulling a long rake of Ironstone hoppers with a NER Brake Van at the rear.

One day ?

Bedford lists a Ironstone Hopper as pending. I gave up waiting for one and cancelled the order after at least a year or more of waiting . Lack of info as usual/no response to messages from him, didnt help that decision. His V3 price is a bit OTT in price for me.

D&S did a Ballast Brake , of which I have one built. I havent checked the Dia number.

Bedford lists a Ironstone Hopper as pending. I gave up waiting for one and cancelled the order after at least a year or more of waiting . Lack of info as usual/no response to messages from him, didnt help that decision. His V3 price is a bit OTT in price for me.

D&S did a Ballast Brake , of which I have one built. I havent checked the Dia number.

Likewise, ordered a number of the S1 Hoppers and paid deposit a few years ago now, still no sign of them?

I have one of Dan's Ballast Brake vans also, but it is the Ballast Plough Brake I now require.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Short interlude...

Normally when you take over someone else's work it's a nightmare to sort out what is what and to make it work, this latest little project is nothing like that, it's well made, square clean and tidy. 

On Saturday afternoon I took delivery of a part build DJH (+other bits) LNER Q7 as started here by Rob Pulham, he's getting rid of his 4mm stuff to concentrate on 7mm, I jumped at the chance to aquire this and have a go at completing it.

Pickups were to fit and as one side wheels are live I've fitted a piece of PCB onto the inside of one frame with the phosphor bronze wires pointing downwards and bent at right angles to touch the backs of the flanges. 

The loco body had been painted black and I have painted the buffer beam red and given the whole loco a thin coat of matt varnish, I will need to fit a small works plate to the cab side for this loco.

The tender was unpainted and needed brakes fitting - it still needs brakes fitting! I have however replaced the DJH buffers with some Dave Alexander ones and the top lamp bracket for a nice etched one that was in the box of bits that came with the loco. There was a fire iron bracket on the front of the tender made from a bit of bent brass wire and I've made another to go part way down the coal space - photos seem to show this. The tender is now painted.

post-7104-0-15487200-1362420056_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-01245200-1362420066_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-61572000-1362420075_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-51163500-1362420087_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Managed to get the transfers on last night and took it out into the conservatory for a natural light photo this morning.

Jobs to complete - front guard irons (I cut off the whitemetal ones), sandpipes, whistles, cab worksplate, glazing (front spectacle came cut, just needs refitting), coal, disguise motor wires and whatever else I find on the way.

post-7104-0-01855100-1362477870_thumb.jpg 

• Like 12

Hi Paul,

Well done on a good job on the DJH Q7.  The extra details enhance a very nice model.

I picked up a DJH Q7 here in OZ for A$73.40 (around GBP45) including postage. The handrails were not quite straight, but not really noticable when moving and looking from 3'.  It also needed brake gear, so I ordered some from Mainly Trains.  The pick ups were from one of loco and other side of tender.  Not very good for running abilities, so I added a PCB and wire to the other side of the locos front and rear wheels.  I think I will eventually add pickups to the tender too.  I added some glazing to the front and front side windows.

Could you show us a photo of the pick ups you fitted and the brake gear?

I bought Rob's Comet kit LNER Restaurant Triplet set which needs finishing.

Mark in OZ

That didn't take you long Paul. 

The lamp bracket was one of Arthur's that he kindly supplied along with the springs and brake gear. 

I am quite looking forward to seeing this finished off despite not getting to it myself.

Guest Tom F

Managed to get the transfers on last night and took it out into the conservatory for a natural light photo this morning.

Jobs to complete - front guard irons (I cut off the whitemetal ones), sandpipes, whistles, cab worksplate, glazing (front spectacle came cut, just needs refitting), coal, disguise motor wires and whatever else I find on the way.

attachicon.gifIMGP5971-001.JPG

Lovely piece of North Eastern Power there Paul! :)

• RMweb Gold

Could you show us a photo of the pick ups you fitted and the brake gear?

Pick ups and brake gear, Rob fitted the brakes supplied by ArthurK I think from spares and probably not available as a separate item.

post-7104-0-38527600-1362511793_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Paul's right, they were spares from some of Arthur's test etches at the time I believe. it was very good of Arthur to let me have them.

Well they would have just ended up in the scrap box - better that they have been put to good use.

ArthurK

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

When I can clear the backlog of kits (Tennant, NEW W 4-6-0T and of course the B15) my fully etched Q7 should follow although there are a couple of others that might push it back a little. Jonathan is completing the 4125 gallon tender (which I designed for the Q7) to go behind his NER 4-6-2. I am trying to accelerate the rate of release of the kits but it all takes time. But I have now built up a range of castings many of which are standard fittings. That should help.

ArthurK

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

J77 68408 in EM - a much needed standby loco for Greyscroft Mine.

I mentioned a while back that my next loco would be a J77, a Lancaster kit of the Fletcher cab variety, probably my favourite 0-6-0 tank. The kit dates from 1990 and the castings are quite nice and fit together well. I acquired it via Jonathan Wealleans, he has one to build but he knew someone who would want it! I built one of these kits about 15/16 years ago in 00.

I wanted to build one of the 3 that were at Middlesbrough in 1955 68409, 68414 or 68425 but I have completely failed to find photos of any of them, there are quite significant differences between locos so photos are important. 68408 was a Darlington engine in '55 and there is a good photo in Yeadon 43b.

The frames are nicely etched in brass (  :good: )

post-7104-0-05463300-1364557305_thumb.jpg

Cab, tanks and bunker rear fitted, the roof is not fixed yet.

post-7104-0-08678200-1364557326_thumb.jpg

Sat on the frames.

post-7104-0-80660400-1364557334_thumb.jpg

Cab roof fitted, filled and filed smooth, the gaps were filled with 70deg solder, filled then filed down then filled again, until all was smooth. I have found that moving the iron along in a circular motion and gently feeding the solder in gives the best result, just moving the iron along tends to leave a groove where the joint was. The kit has the short rainstrip above the cab openings, these will need to be removed and longer ones fitting.

post-7104-0-73380100-1364557345_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Thanks to a photo sent to me last night by Tim Lewis this model will be 68409, the photo is taken inside North Blyth shed, just after it moved from Middlesbrough but I don't think much detail will have changed, it hadn't been into works in the meantime. The photo is a rear 3/4 view and it shows all the details that I need to know. 

I'll be getting some wheels today at York and then I need to order a gearbox from Highlevel as soon as I know which one will fit.

I am currently building a 7mm Fletcher cab J77 (Medley Models) and agree that it is a very interesting and attractive prototype.

The difficulty I have encountered with the enclosed cab is how to paint and glaze the cab interior with the cab in place. I have resorted to the time consuming process of making the body detachable using brass angle and screws with the intention of only soldering the cab floor in place once the interior is complete. I will let you know whether it is successful in due course! In the meantime I will be watching your thread with interest.

Incidentally mine will be based on 68406, a loco I was lucky enough to see as a young boy from a train passing Selby yards and depot. J73 68356 was with it and I intend to build that at some stage but I am not yet aware of a J73 kit...

Regards Terry