Worsdell forever's Workbench - Loads of North Eastern Stuff

Yes I'd guess at a '1001' long boilered goods. For the Rosedale Branch then it might be 1255 or 1286 both of which survived, at Rosedale, until 1921 when they were replaced by J24's. You could also have 1275 which was based at Malton and which was the only '1001' which survived into LNER ownership and is now in the National Railway Museum collection.

Cheers

Mike

Edited by mikemeg

• RMweb Gold

Pete and Mike you're correct its a 1001 but it will be 1093 which doesn't appear on any published lists of locos that worked the branch but there is a photo in Ken Hoole's NER locos, it was withdrawn in 1909, hence the problem with the brakevan above. It's scratchbuilt as I've never seen a Chilton kit.

Pete and Mike you're correct its a 1001 but it will be 1093 which doesn't appear on any published lists of locos that worked the branch but there is a photo in Ken Hoole's NER locos, it was withdrawn in 1909, hence the problem with the brakevan above. It's scratchbuilt as I've never seen a Chilton kit.

Great stuff....what drawing are you using?

• RMweb Gold

Great stuff....what drawing are you using?

I'm using the 1275 drawing in North Eastern Record 2 (although it's slightly out of scale) as the wheels wheelbase and boiler are the same, dimensions of these taken from Locomotives of the Stockton and Darlington Railway by T R Pearce. 

I'm using the 1275 drawing in North Eastern Record 2 (although it's slightly out of scale) as the wheels wheelbase and boiler are the same, dimensions of these taken from Locomotives of the Stockton and Darlington Railway by T R Pearce. 

Of course, forgot about the Pearce book on Stockton and Darlington locos, its only sat on the top shelf looking at me.......

• RMweb Gold

Of course, forgot about the Pearce book on Stockton and Darlington locos, its only sat on the top shelf looking at me.......

Page 153 shows no 93/1093 "Uranus" as built at North Road works and as rebuilt at Rosedale, probably not long before withdrawal.

• RMweb Gold

I've added .7mm wire for the brake hangers on the front 2 axles, there's no room on the rear one. As built lhe loco had only tender brakes but they will have been added to the loco when 'rebuilt' with Worsdell boiler, it certainly had them when at Rosedale and they can be seen in the photo. The frames have been painted and the gearbox built and test fitted, wheels next!

Not much room, High Level LH compact plus and 10/15 motor.

post-7104-0-59764900-1445680558_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-05727500-1445680563_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-59764900-1445680558_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-05727500-1445680563_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Do you have any advice to the novice kit builder (i.e. me) about fitting wheels to axles? I'm assuming you're using Gibson's there, and it looks like you're doing a lot of the construction with just one wheel on each axle, presumably so you can dismantle without disturbing the wheel from the axle.

Presumably fitting the other wheel and quartering (by eye?) comes right at the end of the build?

• RMweb Gold

Do you have any advice to the novice kit builder (i.e. me) about fitting wheels to axles? I'm assuming you're using Gibson's there, and it looks like you're doing a lot of the construction with just one wheel on each axle, presumably so you can dismantle without disturbing the wheel from the axle.

Presumably fitting the other wheel and quartering (by eye?) comes right at the end of the build?

Hi Mark, 

The wheels are put on the axles (after the crankpins have been fitted) with gentle tapping with a small hammer, the wheel laid face down on a block of wood with the crankpin in a suitable hole, the wheels need slightly and gently countersinking and make sure there are no burrs on the axle ends. They are fitted after basic assembly and painting (which will need touching up later) and are in to stay, some people are forever taking them off and putting then on but I've never needed to do that, they're an interference fit so every movement will be damaging them. Quartering is done by eye, I bought a jig but it was crap and gave up with it! The same process is used for fitting the second wheel, starting with the driven axle, wheel face down and a few gentle taps (avoid hitting the crankpin, guess how I learnt that!) to get it going then check quartering and so on until it's to gauge then on to the next axle followed by the rods for these, only when these two axles are running smoothly with rods on do I move on to the next axle. Compensated/sprung chassis are exactly the same but the wheels can be put on out of the frames but final quartering will need to be done with everything together.

This is the results of all that tapping, tweaking and amazingly not much swearing. The rods are made up from leftover bits of Gibson 'Universal' rods.

post-7104-0-10548500-1445687280_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-10548500-1445687280_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Paul

How do you ensure that the axle is square to the wheel, so the wheel doesn't develop a wobble

Geoff

Never really had that problem, I do give them a spin when they have been put on and they could be straightened with a little twisting. 

According to the latest MRJ that has just dropped through the letterbox, lasers are the latest way to quarter wheels...

Can't say I'm impressed by that MRJ article.....the thing looks far too large and cumbersome. With such large overhangs, would have thought there was a great danger in bending the wheel mouldings out of true.

Personally use the good old GW Models press......even then some fiddling by eye sometimes needed!

Edited by pete55

• RMweb Gold

Can't say I'm impressed by that MRJ article.....the thing looks far too large and cumbersome. With such large overhangs, would have thought there was a great danger in bending the wheel mouldings out of true.

You could ajust your car's tracking with it.

Personally use the good old GW Models press......even then some fiddling by eye sometimes needed!

Don't have the latest MRJ yet but I can just see the demonstration table at an exhibition, or more correctly the entrance doorway to the exhibition hall. Festooned with signs. "Eye protection to worn before entering this hall", "Danger Lasers" You may not be able to see the train sets but at least you can watch the wheel quartering Demo.

Couldn't agree more about the GW press.

P