Worsdell forever's Workbench - Loads of North Eastern Stuff

• RMweb Gold

The tender is now close to being finished, there is one critical part for this loco still to add but more on that later. There was one problem when I came to adding the tank filler, there was only a tall one in the kit, this being a two coal rail tender it needs a short one. Before I cut the one down in the kit I had a rummage in my spare bits and of course no short ones but three long ones, one of these was cut down as a test and it looked ok so a handle was added from .33mm wire and fixed to the tank.

post-7104-0-65909300-1434145121_thumb.jpg

Brakes fitted.

post-7104-0-73478700-1434145109_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

First bit finished!

post-7104-0-54865900-1434199163_thumb.jpg

The tender is now ready to be painted, this morning I've added the handrails, handbrake and the tender cab as fitted to 1860 (this loco), 1863 and 1950 for working on the Rosedale branch, studying photos shows that all three cabs were different and luckily I chose 1860 as it had the simplest...

post-7104-0-93807100-1434199176_thumb.jpg

I'm not sure if I've got the toolboxes right, there was a pair of doors in the cab to access the coal space and presumably the toolboxes as well, they would have to be the top opening ones as the crew wouldn't be able to get into front opening ones.

post-7104-0-62140300-1434199189_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Looks really good.

The designer of the tender cab obviously never needed to use the tool boxes.

Supposedly the three cabs came off three of the 1001 class that were up there before, not sure how they fitted as I'm sure the tenders were smaller. It could explain why access to the toolboxes isn't good.

• RMweb Premium

The "treasure chest" style of tool box was the standard throughout the early NER period. The flat fronted style was used on the later tenders, especially the 4125 gallon self trimming variety. The early style caused a number of injuries due to the lid closing unexpectedly. Many early tenders received the later style as replacements. It is best to check photographs before deciding which type to use.

The J27s that I photographed in the early 60s all  had the newer style although having the "D" shaped cut-outs in the frames.

ArthurK

Paul,

What you need to go behind the Stainmore cab J24 is a rake of NER S1 Ironstone hoppers for the Rosedale branch. Many years back a E.J Arthur of Pickering placed an article in MRJ indicating he could supply etches for this wagon, unfortunately I responded to late to acquire any of these. Then more recently Bill Bedford has proposed to make these wagons, this has been on his web site for a few years now and I still hope they may come to fruition eventually? I had thought of asking Gladiator Models if they could reduce their 7mm artwork to produce the wagon etches, but as that business is in the process of being sold it would seem unlikely at present.

I have a 1001 and a J24 that are just crying out for a rake of these hoppers, perhaps one day.

I like the tender cab a very neat job, I assume this was scratch built rather than being a part of Arthur Kimbers tender etch.

• RMweb Gold

Paul,

What you need to go behind the Stainmore cab J24 is a rake of NER S1 Ironstone hoppers for the Rosedale branch. Many years back a E.J Arthur of Pickering placed an article in MRJ indicating he could supply etches for this wagon, unfortunately I responded to late to acquire any of these. Then more recently Bill Bedford has proposed to make these wagons, this has been on his web site for a few years now and I still hope they may come to fruition eventually? I had thought of asking Gladiator Models if they could reduce their 7mm artwork to produce the wagon etches, but as that business is in the process of being sold it would seem unlikely at present.

I have a 1001 and a J24 that are just crying out for a rake of these hoppers, perhaps one day.

I like the tender cab a very neat job, I assume this was scratch built rather than being a part of Arthur Kimbers tender etch.

The proposed layout that this loco will run on is just beyond the mines so no real need for S1 hoppers, it will initially be run as 1928 after the mines closed just before closure of the line. Later hopefully a 1001 and some earlier wagons, then perhaps earlier still with a 93 class...

The cab is indeed scratchbuilt, I asked Arthur a few years ago if he had come across any drawings but he had found nothing, it is possible that they were taken off the 1001s at Rosedale shed and put on the J24s (class P back then) there.

• Like 1

....more recently Bill Bedford has proposed to make these wagons, this has been on his web site for a few years now and I still hope they may come to fruition eventually?.....

Give it a few more years. He's probably forgotten they're on the website!!

I thought that the top opening tool boxes were refered to as Wrist breakers! I recall reading it somewhere in the Dave Bradwell instructions for his 3038 tender.. I have one on the modelling desk at the moment. 

I am trying to start doing more modelling of a night time... but I seem to  do more in summer than winter for some unknown reason.... Mind you that means I match the Uk modelling seasons here in Aus. 

• RMweb Gold

Good progress tonight, The tender is now black, as are the frames. The wheels, gearbox, motor and rods have been fitted and the wheels turn smoothly, not freely yet but getting there!

I've ordered some lining from Fox tonight, I used Pressfix on the E1 and it was difficult getting it on straight, hopefully the waterslide lining should be a bit more forgiving. 

post-7104-0-73714000-1434404703_thumb.jpg

(boiler fittings not fixed yet)

post-7104-0-43786200-1434404715_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Although there's not a lot to show, quite a lot of little jobs have been sorted tonight, the slightly stiff rear axle has been eased by taking out the wheels and gently filing the paint off the bushes. The final drive gear has been secured to the axle with Loctite and power has been pushed through the motor and the whole lot turned quite smoothly. after this the springs and the brake pull rods were glued in place. 

post-7104-0-70019900-1434665567_thumb.jpg

The tender/loco coupling is a pair of etched bars with one hole at one end and two at the other, the chassis fixing screws pass through these and into the loco/tender body. There doesn't appear to be a way of keeping the coupling 'loose' and fixing the chassis securely and the screw not working itself out so I made a pair of bushes from brass tube, soldered these to the screws and opened the holes in the coupling to take them. I had to solder a washer over the double hole end (after it had been cut down to the short hole) as enlarging the hole opened the end. The screws now tighten up holding the bodies securely but leaving the coupling to move freely.

post-7104-0-29014500-1434665545_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-58693200-1434665533_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-49625400-1434665556_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

As I remarked earlier I now form the tender flares in my recent kits. I used to use the method of pressing into hard rubber. But since I now had a lot more of these form rather than those for my own builds I devised a simple tool. This consists of a piece of 1/8th internal diameter tube (with the top half filed away)  and a length of 1/8th  silver steel bar as shown in the first photo.

The flares are removed from the fret and each is placed flat in the tube (photo 2) the bar is then placed on top  and the whole squashed in a vice. Result formed flares as in photo 3.

I must have formed some forty sets of flares with this and it is now showing signs of wear. I propose to make a new tool with the tube soldered into a heavy gauge angle to provide more rigidity. The alternative is to mill a semi-circular groove into a bar of brass but I don't have a round 1/8th end mill for that.

One further point is that the flares in the picture used a pair of pliers to squeeze the bits, starting at one end and working my way along to the other end. Takes longer than a single squeeze in the vice but it works.

post-6751-0-74217400-1434726828_thumb.jpg

post-6751-0-36482400-1434725861_thumb.jpg

post-6751-0-23734500-1434725872_thumb.jpg

The J24 is currently out of stock. If I can generate orders for three or more then I can replenish my stocks.

ArthurK

Edited by ArthurK
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Got all wired up last night and it ran on it's own rather well despite not having any weight in it, DCC will go in the tender and the loco plugs into the tender above the front axle. 

post-7104-0-76811900-1434781228_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-65656800-1434781242_thumb.jpg

Boiler handrails and smokebox door fitted. Backhead made up and ready to go, I'll fit this after painting. 

post-7104-0-22385600-1434781184_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-89401300-1434781197_thumb.jpg

Whistles mounted on the cab roof, there's only short and tall 'round' whistles in the kit and this loco needs a small one and an organ pipe one so made this up from a length of .9mm wire.

post-7104-0-95410800-1434781213_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Got the loco body painted and started lettering and lining the tender, Pressfix lettering and Fox lining, the frames are a bit fiddly but going ok.

post-7104-0-67964800-1435298913_thumb.jpg

Still lots of touching up to do in the cab.

post-7104-0-45034800-1435298930_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Looking very good, Paul.

I'm guessing that your model is circa 1925 - 30; so days when even humble goods engines were lined out and, probably, kept reasonably clean. Far cry from my 1950 timeframe, when these J24's were disappearing fast (all had gone by 1951) and when those that were left were in dreadful condition.

Now time for you to build that A6!!

Cheers

Mike

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mike,

It will be 1928 and as it was on the Rosedale branch it would be fairly clean, plenty of wind and rain up there but no belching chimneys, if it was a Middlesbrough engine it would be a different story...

• RMweb Premium

might it have a little run this weekend..  Iit would be nice if you were operating an EM layout at a show - even one that was very wrong for period or Geography.

He'll have to leave the layout occasionally!!!

Andy

• RMweb Gold

might it have a little run this weekend..  Iit would be nice if you were operating an EM layout at a show - even one that was very wrong for period or Geography.

He'll have to leave the layout occasionally!!!

Andy

Something might get a run Andy, something... 

• Like 3