Worsdell forever's Workbench - Loads of North Eastern Stuff

3 hours ago, Worsdell forever said:

Seem to have got more done in the last week or so than I have in the last 6 months, the reason? she's treated herself to netflix and is watching the whole of 'The Crown'...

This is quite an old model that has put in sterling service over the years on Fellburn and Felton Lane but the time had come for it to go into North Road works for a full rebuild. It's been converted to EM and backdated. As I built it, it was superheated with a later boiler so the smokebox was removed and boiler bands and boiler fittings taken off. when it came to a new smokebox the only short ones in the spares box were of a later pattern with a pressed steel front whereas what I needed was the earliest fabricated type with sharp 'square' corners so I took a superheated one and cut it down taking to file it carefully to keep the corners sharp. New boiler fittings also from the spares box were fitted. The tender only needed the coal rails altering, it had 3 and 1008 had 4. 

There's still a few bits to do, finish the pickups, refit the brakes and re-paint the wheels etc.

20210105_192032_copy_1600x946.jpg.d42a9e051e6f87042945caa561f57a21.jpg

Looks good Paul. Is it one of Mr Alexander's kits?

• RMweb Premium
On 05/01/2021 at 20:40, Worsdell forever said:

Seem to have got more done in the last week or so than I have in the last 6 months, the reason? she's treated herself to netflix and is watching the whole of 'The Crown'...

This is quite an old model that has put in sterling service over the years on Fellburn and Felton Lane but the time had come for it to go into North Road works for a full rebuild. It's been converted to EM and backdated. As I built it, it was superheated with a later boiler so the smokebox was removed and boiler bands and boiler fittings taken off. when it came to a new smokebox the only short ones in the spares box were of a later pattern with a pressed steel front whereas what I needed was the earliest fabricated type with sharp 'square' corners so I took a superheated one and cut it down taking to file it carefully to keep the corners sharp. New boiler fittings also from the spares box were fitted. The tender only needed the coal rails altering, it had 3 and 1008 had 4. 

There's still a few bits to do, finish the pickups, refit the brakes and re-paint the wheels etc.

20210105_192032_copy_1600x946.jpg.d42a9e051e6f87042945caa561f57a21.jpg

Very nice finish and well observed and executed on the smokebox. 

But that dome is not right. Why not get one from That Nice Mr Bradwell? The safety valve cover looks undersize too.

I can't remember when the cab roof changed, but should it perhaps still be the old style for your period? (If it is right, I don't think the removable section at the back was so prominent on NER roofs, was it?) 

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 24/10/2020 at 21:15, Worsdell forever said:

I built this class H a few years ago and finished it in LNER livery as No. 900, this was before I'd decided that all future builds would for the late NER period. I stripped off the lettering a few days ago and touched up some scuffed paint. It's now No. 898, a Middlesbrough engine in 1920. The lining turned out to be a lot simpler than I expected, closely studying the cracking photo thats in both North Eastern Record 3 and Ken Hoole's NER locos shows only a rectangular panel on the tank sides was lined, they didn't bother with the cab sides and cut outs, nice and straight forward! The boiler bands and footplate valence were also to do but these are usually simple enough. 

Class H didn't carry their numbers on their sides, only on the front buffer beam and the back of the cab, as you'd expect there aren't many photos of the back of the cab in NER days but there is one, in the NERA archive of No. 518, on its side, at about 50° to the track with one very loose wheel at either Gateshead or Tyne Dock. This shows the number in the centre of the cab rear panel in shaded numerals, I can't really work out whether they are gold or yellow. I've gone with gold for now, they're the numbers used on the 1463 'Tennant's'. 

20201024_203543_copy_1600x1175.jpg.96b4ba5a8e8b4974709ac4a87ca60516.jpg

20201024_203358_copy_1600x1187.jpg.da1ad18245ea9149fdc7cf5bc43e200f.jpg

20201024_203705_copy_1600x1234.jpg.0d65d0379804ebc66156e15c7a07ebe8.jpg

Now that is so cute :good:

Edited by Chas Levin
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 23/01/2021 at 16:56, Worsdell forever said:

They may not be perfect but they look better in the flesh, what's more I'm happy with them. As for the roof it's a difficult one, as you know there's never enough overhead shots at the best of times never mind this early!

A bit more updating. I built this NER diagram E15 20ton pulley wagon nearly 20 years ago, it spent many a happy exhibition trundling up and down Fellburn behind a J24, but for the last 10 years it's just been sitting on a shelf so I decided to titivate up a bit. Converted to EM, a few extra details and a repaint. 

20210123_163903_copy_1600x774.jpg.b947bf75cbef849dccd8cb51fdf0b14b.jpg

That looks nice Paul,

I am sure that I have a 7mm kit for one of these hidden away some where.

• 8 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 16/02/2021 at 12:19, Riverside said:

Paul,

How do you do the lettering on your NER wagons? It looks incredibly neat and precise - unlike any transfers I've used.

David

Sorry, missed this, I make my own and have a printer that prints white.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, micklner said:

Dave Bradwell and Arthur K , both do lost wax castings on sprues.

Can't comment on the Dave Bradwell versions but Arther K's lost wax NER castings are very good, recommended.

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Agree 1

As this seems to be the home of all things NER, I come saddled with a question for you all.

Im currently building a model of a “plausible” NER loco, although it never existed. It’s a 2 inch gauge model of a French PLM Coupé Vent, but it has been purchased by the NER and converted to British trappings, much like the GWR De Glehn. My question is, after 1895, what side of the smokebox was the most common for the Westinghouse pump to be fitted on?

thank you,

Douglas

On 15/11/2021 at 13:55, Florence Locomotive Works said:

As this seems to be the home of all things NER, I come saddled with a question for you all.

Im currently building a model of a “plausible” NER loco, although it never existed. It’s a 2 inch gauge model of a French PLM Coupé Vent, but it has been purchased by the NER and converted to British trappings, much like the GWR De Glehn. My question is, after 1895, what side of the smokebox was the most common for the Westinghouse pump to be fitted on?

thank you,

Douglas

The outside 

• Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
On 15/11/2021 at 13:55, Florence Locomotive Works said:

thank you,

Douglas

Normally on the right, being right hand drive, classes A and O on the left tank front. The only ones mounted on the smokebox were Classes W and D (later 4-4-4T). But just wondering why anyone would want a french loco to look like a North Eastern one... and how, not even it's own mother could love that (if this is what it is).

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Paleopotato09 said:

I'm quite a new modeller only 19 looking to dip my toes in NER stuff. Is there any advice you could give me? 

If it's the NER  period, be prepared to make stuff! LNER and BR period in the north east is of course a lot easier. The main thing, the same as any modelling, is to observe the real thing, there's plenty of good books published by the NERA, membership is also good, you will have access to the archive online and also the Express magazine backnumbers. 

https://ner.org.uk/

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Worsdell forever said:

If it's the NER  period, be prepared to make stuff! LNER and BR period in the north east is of course a lot easier. The main thing, the same as any modelling, is to observe the real thing, there's plenty of good books published by the NERA, membership is also good, you will have access to the archive online and also the Express magazine backnumbers. 

https://ner.org.uk/

Oh ok i can do that...i hope. that website should hopefully have everything i need. 

20 hours ago, Paleopotato09 said:

I'm quite a new modeller only 19 looking to dip my toes in NER stuff. Is there any advice you could give me? 

Welcome to our world :D

As Worsdell says, NERA is a must-have resource, & whilst it's true that we still have to build a lot of stuff, things are definitely improving vis RTR and other items.

We also have some great smaller suppliers of detailing parts & buildings who are carrying/introducing NER items to their ranges as well.

Mark

• Like 1

• 1 month later...