Carl Arendt Site - Closing?

Nick

• RMweb Premium

That's very sad news; I'd only exchanged e-mails with Carl a few times but always met with an enthusiastic and encouraging response, a quality that comes across on his website. I'd be hugely grateful Jack if you could pass on my heartfelt best wishes.

Thanks for passing that on Jack. After earlier correspondence with Carl this was the news I was rather dreading but it still comes as a terrible blow. It doesn't seem like eight years since I first exchanged emails with Carl and there will be a very large gap when he's not around any more. I'll pass on this sad news to a couple of other people who know Carl but may not have heard. Please pass on my best wishes to him through his wife and to her and Carl's family as well. I'd like him to know what an extraordinary contribution I think he's made to our hobby and how many people are thinking of him and hope he can take some comfort from knowing that he'll leave an exceptional legacy.

Sadly

David

That's very sad news; I'd only exchanged e-mails with Carl a few times but always met with an enthusiastic and encouraging response, a quality that comes across on his website.

That is exactly what Carl was like when I provided a plan for inclusion Neil. He offered advice on the original plan to adapt it and improve on it's operating potential.

I hope that any diagnosis proves false, such is the way with modern medicine and a person's will to fight. Will you also please pass on my condolences at this difficult time, Jack. My thought's are with Carl, his family, his friends and the entire micro layout community.

Please pass on my best wishes to him through his wife and to her and Carl's family as well. I'd like him to know what an extraordinary contribution I think he's made to our hobby and how many people are thinking of him and hope he can take some comfort from knowing that he'll leave an exceptional legacy.

I can't put it any better than that myself. He has certainly made his mark on the hobby, and his legacy is a great one.

Guest dilbert

I hope that any diagnosis proves false, such is the way with modern medicine and a person's will to fight.

The fact that he has gone into a hospice seems to indicate palliative treatment for an incurable disease. I hope the treatment he receives gives him an excellent level of comfort.

This is sad news...

:(

That's awful news.

I sent a mail to Carl just a few days ago about my Indian layout and he was very enthusiastic about it, telling me it would appear in one of the future site-entries.

His site was (and hopefully will stay) an inspiration to everybody who saw the big fun in small layouts.

My deepest support and condolences to his family.

Thanks Carl.

Hi

This is very sad news and I to would like to pass on my best wishes to Carl and his family.

Having had a layout on his site like others I know how enthusiastic and helpful he was and a gent to boot judging by his emails.

Hopefully the resource he has built up over the years can somehow be maintained.

Stu

Can only second what has been said above and I hope that Carl gets to hear how much he is appreciated by all of us.

I for one would like to ask Jack to pass on our thoughts so that in some small way we can show how much the model railway world cares about him and his family

Colin

Hi

Carl was a very inspirational member of his site ,making my day when his updates were posted.

i only had a few contacts with him and was very passionate about his site and fellow enthusiasts

My thoughts are with him and his family

Hugh

Very sad news indeed - without Carl's site I would never have found shunting puzzles or built box file layouts or discovered incredible layouts like "Brooklyn 3 a.m."

I hope the website is continued as a permanent testament to the immense positive impact Carl has had on the hobby.

My thoughts and prayers also go out to his family at this difficult time.

I was fortunate to have had one of my layouts included on his site. The emails we exchanged gave me a brief insight into his boundless enthusiasm and altruistic passion for the hobby.

Carl's an inspiration, and always will be.

• RMweb Gold
I was fortunate to have had one of my layouts included on his site. The emails we exchanged gave me a brief insight into his boundless enthusiasm and altruistic passion for the hobby.

Carl's an inspiration, and always will be.

Same here.

Those of us fortunate enough to have had our layouts (or ideas) included on his site will also remember his kind words of encouragement.

Anyone else who's visited his site (or read his books) will remember the invaluable resources he provided us with.

What I'm really trying to say is this:

Thanks for everything, Carl.

You're a gentleman - and you will be missed.

My thoughts are with you - and your family.

Regards,

Huw.

Very sorry to hear this awful news. I returned to active railway modelling seven years ago and soon stumbled across Carl's amazing website. It has been and remains a source of inspiration for me, as I know it has for so many other people.

I was very proud when Carl featured my own micro layout Wintoncester Water Works (which was heavily influenced by the site) on two occasions.

My thoughts are with Carl, his family and friends.

Patrick

I have spent hours looking at Carl's site in the past and it has inspired my Inglenook.

Rather than having his pages/hosting going to another person I wonder if for the future well being of the hobby that a section of this or another forum (in USA) should have a full copy of the current site. Many of the layouts do give us plenty to discuss.

I bet that there will be people that put Carl's name onto shop or mill complex (etc) as a way to show respect to the inspiration that he has provided. R Dent pannel beaters?

Archived