Carl Arendt Site - Closing?

Nick

It says much about the measure of the man with the number of people who've never met him, with such a well founded respect for him and his work.

I didn't know Carl, but I had his site bookmarked and always had a look to admire the latest new addition.

From what I can glean of people's posts here, our hobby has lost a truly remarkable man. Rest in peace, good sir.

A very sad day for the model railway community but at least he is at peace and not suffering. My thoughts are with his Family he was one of the great inspirational layout designers and scrap book makers of our hobby.

Sad news.

I was lucky enough to correspond with Carl for some 10 years, just after I discovered his Squarefoot Estate Railway. He always had a knack of making you feel like you were his best mate.

Only last month he featured my "Wingetts recycling" layout on his site and when I mentioned to him that I had been approached by a member of the staff of "Model Railroader" to feature it in their magazine. He was to put it mildly rather excited. I think he saw it as some kind of acceptance of the micro layout ideal.

Sadly, he won't get to see that article now.

I'll miss him.

Ian

p.s. I've just posted an appreciation of my friend on my blog http://smallmodelrailwaylayouts.blogspot.com/2011/03/carl-arendt-rip.html

RIP Carl. Thanks for reminding us that the hobby is supposed to be fun.

There are some behind the scenes efforts to at least preserve his site if not keep it going. But now isn't the time to burden his family.

David

Sad news indeed. Although I never met Carl, and never even communicated with him, I can attribute a lot of my enthusiasm for small layouts from Carl's site.

There are quite a few famous names in the hobby. Freezer, Denny, Wright, and quite a few more. Carl belongs right up there with the best of them.

Thanks for posting that, Andy

What can I say, Carl and I have been internet mates (the modern equivalent of a penpal I suppose), for many years . Always a gentleman in all senses and spellings, always quick to encourage and ready to share ideas. His passing leaves the world a poorer place and another empty space in my heart. RIP Carl, you are sadly missed

Jack

• RMweb Gold

Oh no, that's a real shock - a very sudden decline. A sad day for his family & other contacts. I do hope Jack's moves to get the site preserved will come to something - even if it's kept "as is" without any new content, it's still a real inspiration & a tribute to Carl.

It's a pity that my first post here has to be in response to Carl's passing.

Like many others, I was enticed back into the hobby by stumbling across Carl's site and seeing what could be done within a few square feet, even in larger gauges. I only had brief correspondence with Carl, but was very proud to have had my 'Temple Lane' layout featured on his site (September last year, I think) and somehow Carl managed to convey enthusiasm through the medium of email. He was, as Jack has pointed out, a true gentleman in every respect.

Rest in Peace, Carl - your enthusiasm for the hobby will be sadly missed.

Condolences to his family at what must be a difficult time.

Simon

Reading Carls site each month was one of life's finer civilised pleasures. He had warmth, intelligence and above all

a sense of fun that encouraged people who might not have otherwise to have a go and build something. The hobby is truly diminished by his passing.

RIP with much love.

Words can not describe my sadness at this time.

Carl was such an inspiration to me and indeed to us all in many ways, i hope his website can continue or be preserved as mentioned.

I used to look forward to the updates to his site and always found something of interest.

I first discovered his website some years ago and since then i have been hooked on it, indeed it was one of the first places i found out about micro layouts.

He will be greatly missed by me and indeed others.

My Condolences to his family and friends.

R.I.P Carl, you were an inspiration to us all.

Jerry.

• RMweb Premium

Condolences to Carl's family at this sad time and I hope that there is some comfort knowing that he will be very much missed by so many of us worldwide.

Carl and his site was, and still will be, a big inspiration to my modelling efforts and I was lucky enough to have one of my designs chosen as a runner up in the last design competition.

R.I.P. Carl and thanks for bringing such inspiration to a little corner of the world.

Yet another immense loss to the modelling community.

Thank you Carl for all your hard work over the years. I always had the wish to produce a big layout, filling a room, but you welcomed me to the finer point's of the hobby. A realistic layout (in operation and appereance) can be built in such a small space.

Very sad news. I hadn't rechecked the thread after Shortliner reported he was in a hospice - it seemed rather awkward - and have only just seen the news that he has gone. There have been one or two remarks in the past that "Carl isn't very well at the moment" - I suspect the situation may have been rather more serious than he allowed to show

His contribution to the hobby was unique, and consequently very important. I had never come across the concept of a micro-layout as a valid and effective approach to the hobby until someone pointed me to Carl's website. It was truly inspirational - it gave you all sorts of ideas that you'd never have had without it, and wouldn't have believed were possible if you hadn't read it. He was for a long time the focal point of microlayout building . If it hadn't been for Carl , I wouldn't currently have a layout - as it is, I've two: the boxfile was built for a competition after being pointed to Carl's site , and Blacklade is an enlarged and slightly modified version of his Amalgamated Terminal. Sadly I never had any personal contact with him - I never managed to find the time and temerity to email him with pictures and details of my two efforts. I'm glad I bought a copy of his Microlayout book (now out of print I think) some years ago

Condolences to his family at this time, and also to his friends

It appears that the scrapbook has gone offline as there's a 403 forbidden page after checking the scrapbook on both .com & .us

Good news the .us version of the website is back, and the .com version is back too still without images.

Archived