Carl Arendt Site - Closing?

Nick

Quote from site (just below pictures) "we greatly regret the necessity to announce: carl arendt retires early today. Watch for full announcement soon... or see rss..."

Nothing on RSS feed yet. Anyone know what is going on?

Cheers

Nick

We don't know yet if the site is closing. All we know is Carl is retiring. Let's wait for the announcement.

Cheers

David

I'm not certain that we even know that yet for sure and it's slightly odd for the announcement to appear as a GIF. Several of us have content on the site so would hate to see it disappear but right now I'm more concerned about Carl.

David

I think someone hacked into the site and superimposed a GIF, which has now been removed.

Panic over?

No its still there.

I do hope that if this is going to mean retirement from running the site that there will be plenty of willing and similarly enthusiastic volunteers around to continue the good work.

I wonder if any of the observants ever took the only appropriate action and contacted Carl directly? :rolleyes:

Since I know Carl quite well, I have emailed him early this morning (our time) - as yet I haven't had a reply, but when I do I will pass it on

In the meantime, speculation only causes rumours, although we all wish him well.

Would you want the world and his brother asking after your website if you were ill?

Not in those terms but many people will be unaware of this - I'd be quite pleased if people were that interested in what I'd put on the web though. If he's ill it could have a positive effect.

Think twice before putting finger to keyboard.

I think that's a bit harsh...

• RMweb Gold

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty! (Douglas Adams)

Of course, we could always wait and see...

I have just had an email from Carls wife and she has asked me to pass on the following message. Carl is under hospice care and is not expected to live very long. Which is why there has been no update. I do know that there are several people out there who are interested in hosting the website and continuing his work, but I have no idea how we go about doing that - an email to me chacmool at lineone dot netwould be appreciated if you know what would need to be done, although whether there will be anyone at that end who knows how the site is hosted I know not, and this isn't the time to ask.

I know your thoughts will be with him, but if you want to pass on condolences it would be preferable if you could post on here, rather than inundating his wife with emails

. I will pass them on as either a link that she can read them or as a block

Thanks

Jack

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the update Jack.

Carl has done so much for the modelling community his loss (whatever happens to the site itself) will be a great loss. His site has inspired so many people that they really do have space to do something. My thoughts are with his family at this time, who I am sure will be wanting to spend as much time with Carl as possible.

I wish Carl and His Family all the best and I hope that what ever happen that it goes without to much pain. I hope Carl can take some comfort from the fact that his website has been very inseperational to all modellers across the world. I do hope someone take its over and contiune in his memory as it is a fitting tribute to a great mirco layout builder. This is never a easy time to go throught but at least he has provide something that even thought small was detailed and fun like any of layouts feature in his scrapbook.

Archived