Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Is RMweb a niche interest?

I think I get the point you are making, but I'm not sure.

Even if there were 10 contributed articles (not counting regular staff columns) per magazine issue at say 12 issues per year, 120 contributions from a circulation of 30,000 is really a very small number (0.4%).

I'm sure the relative number of people who contribute layout or how-to examples on RMweb (not counting opinion threads) is indeed much higher.

Naturally the same rigour isn't applied to posting on RMweb as it is for a magazine article, though many of the modelled works featured are of equal quality.

By the way, I greatly admired your Model Railroader contribution.

Yes, you've got the right idea. Over the last 10 years, i've probably written or directly contributed to no more than a dozen articles, but would like to think the amount of useful contributions to RMweb are alot higher (although I don't seem to have the continuity to keep a layout thread going).

• RMweb Gold

According to my wife I probably account for 90% of the traffic... :rolleyes:

How come we're married to the same womanscratch_one-s_head_mini.gif?

An interesting thing about the traffic is that it seems to be fairly consistent in numbers over a period of time which - while a lot of it is regulars popping-in - compares even more favourably with magazines. Just think once - you've got your copy of BritRailModbylerJournal do you look at it every day until the next issue arrives? Then compare that with the frequency at which you look at RMWeb - it's a sort of 'dynamic magazine' rather than just another web chat room. And it's very good at it.

• RMweb Gold

I wonder if Google Analytics can be set to measure the number of moans, whinges & digs per visit ?

Careful, we don't want to be accused of breaking Google... ohmy.gif

ps just typed this in Google chrome and it's built in spell checker doesn't know 'Google', perhaps we've broken it already.

I access regularly from 4 different devices (that may be 6 depending on whether using different PCs on the works connection counts).

For Google Analytics, different PCs sharing one internet connection, are counted individually. For most other web analytics packages, this isn't the case.

(also, if you have more than one browser on the same PC, or more than one user account on the same PC, they'll be seen as two separate "unique visitors" by Google. And if you're the sort of person who deletes all your stored data or uses "In Private Browsing", then for you, every visit is unique!)

It also shows a huge difference in staus - once ModelRail heavily criticised the 'self appointed experts' on the internet, now the same people behind that are members on here.

Who remembers this post icon fondly? :P

A massive thank you and congratulations to Andy and his mods!

Whilst at uni there is nothing that I can do towards my hobby, so its great to be able to see how everyone else is doing and RMWeb is how I do that!

I used to buy Railway Modeller almost monthly, and now I do the same with Hornby Magazine. They used to be the first to break news to me but now by the time I buy these magazines, RMWeb has already told me most of the exciting stuff.

Just to touch on James' and BlackRat's comments that RMWeb could be responsible for modelling "downtime". Possibly, but combined with a return to exhibition attendance, it has meant I've done more modelling in the last two years than in the previous five. It has also encouraged me to "up my game" in terms of quality.

You should be justifiably proud Andy.

C6T.

Interesting statistics Andy, coupled with a realistic analysis of what the figures actually mean.

I do participate now, and find the facilty to ask questions and receive almost instant replies extremely useful. I did spend a lot of time when I started just reading the forums. I learnt a lot, but it was some time before I had the confidence to join in the discussions.

One thing that always intrigues me - I am always amazed by the number of people who seem to have the time to access internet forums from their place of work; My clients would (not unreasonably IMHO) take a pretty dim view of things if they felt I was browsing internet forums rather than attending to their needs; Likewise I feel that its not unreasonable of my employer to expect that as he pays me to do a job, I should be doing that, rather than doing things I should be doing in my own time.

Alex

Well, I'm a musician! Lazy bunch of twangers..............

I actually just did a 20 second slot for an advert for my Wife's company......she caught me listening to the playback whilst reading RMWeb - so I know what you mean........

Best, Pete.

One thing that always intrigues me - I am always amazed by the number of people who seem to have the time to access internet forums from their place of work; My clients would (not unreasonably IMHO) take a pretty dim view of things if they felt I was browsing internet forums rather than attending to their needs; Likewise I feel that its not unreasonable of my employer to expect that as he pays me to do a job, I should be doing that, rather than doing things I should be doing in my own time.

Lunchtimes, coffee breaks, waiting for people to call you back, cancelled meetings, because the tamper hasn't turned up and you need to kill a couple of hours. Plenty of opportunities :)

Not all jobs require action for the whole day or shift - I can think of a lot of jobs where people are there and work on an as required basis. But you say clients rather than employer or boss which puts a different emphasis on things.

• RMweb Gold

A big thankyou to you Andy and all the team. This place has been my home page from early on. BT had a line fault for over a week (that's another story.... ...a bloody useless system of communicating with them) and I was without the PC and I really did miss going on here.

Thanks to Andy and the mob on here my model railways hobby has grown here in the US of A and I get on here at least twice a day . I have made so many good friends on here it is a wonderful place to visit and has been a lot of help to me personally . Keep up the good work Andy and crew and a hearty THANK YOU to you all

martin

Snip!

Alex

One of the interesting consequences of the massive reduction in public services happening at the end of this month is that we now have very little to do except play on the internet, before we are turned out to grass. I doubt you will see me on here much after 4/4/11.

• RMweb Gold

Hang on I'm married to her too! I spend far too much time on here using my works laptop at home and at work at times.

You guys need a new deal, clearly. It does help my case a fraction, mind you, that Deb has - as at 5 minutes ago - posted 9405 times on her fave site France Forum, and is their leading poster. Pots, kettles, all that sort of stuff - plus I make the tea!

It has also encouraged me to "up my game" in terms of quality.

Definitely agree with that, and it’s not only the ability to see other people’s modelling and think ‘I’d like to model like that’, it’s also the ability to be able to ask ‘How did you do that?’ and get a response.

Remember though that work environments & cultures vary enormously, and I give more than enough to my organisation as it is – I got the highest possible rating for my 2010 efforts and I’m well able to manage my time appropriately.

I've just noticed that -

Online At Once Record 487

14 February 2011 - 23:43

Is that quite sad or had many people just had enough of expensive set price menus by that point of that day?!

• RMweb Gold

mmmmmmm. there seems to be a dip in visitors every every friday

All those workers away from home, and travelling back for the weekend?

....or off down the pub......

By my calculations the day with the dip is Saturday, the 1st Feb was a Tuesday, 7th being Monday so the 'dip day' must be Saturday.

I've just noticed that -

Is that quite sad or had many people just had enough of expensive set price menus by that point of that day?!

I was expecting that milestone to get toppled today and so it did:

Online At Once Record535

Today, 21:04

Archived