FTG Models - SPA wagon - Network Rail

Hugh Flynn

I agree there on the flats. When I was putting a train together for Outon Road back in the day I ended up super detailing the Hornby ones which wasnt ideal. Whats so wrong about the latest HAA? It looks pretty good to me and much better than a lot of other wagons out there.

Hey Hugh, relatively modern 4wheel tank wagons always feels a gap to me. Bach have the basic TTAs but what about co2 tanks, LPG tanks, chlorine tanks, and 35t variety inc molasses tanks,...? Can't see Bach getting to these anytime soon...

More niche would be the Fpa container wagons used by Russell for coal movements based on an saa chassis I believe (could also pick up saa and oaa in process to replace elderly Hornby versions). Or how about the pras used for China clay on west highland line?

Matt

Hey Hugh, relatively modern 4wheel tank wagons always feels a gap to me. Bach have the basic TTAs but what about co2 tanks, LPG tanks, chlorine tanks, and 35t variety inc molasses tanks,...? Can't see Bach getting to these anytime soon...

More niche would be the Fpa container wagons used by Russell for coal movements based on an saa chassis I believe (could also pick up saa and oaa in process to replace elderly Hornby versions). Or how about the pras used for China clay on west highland line?

Matt

Hi Matt

I have most of the drawings for what you mentioned got to say one I always wanted to do was Cawoods PFA but DC kits done it so he might do it ready to run in future?

Must say you have picked one that I think would sell.

Hugh

I agree there on the flats. When I was putting a train together for Outon Road back in the day I ended up super detailing the Hornby ones which wasnt ideal. Whats so wrong about the latest HAA? It looks pretty good to me and much better than a lot of other wagons out there.

RBE,

I am no expert on these but compare a prototype pic with the Hornby model and look at the side. The frame sections and hopper angle are wrong with the frame I think too low. 

Cheers.

Matt

There are also the china clay slurry (used to put the gloss on to paper) TTA's which were used all over the UK in the 70's, 80's and early 90's, to and from paper mills and Cornish pits. These were easy to spot, given the shorter bulbous-end tanks mounted on the standard frame. Mostly leased via STS, but colour scheme seemed to consist of brown dirt with dirty white spillage streaks for most of their life. They are a definite gap in the china clay market which seems to have covered almost everything else. 

Mike

Matt, Hugh

I agree with the FPA with Russell coal container, ex SAA chassis has other uses too. This would have to have some weight to it to allow it to run empty and show off all that frame detail.

Run all over the SLK network in reasonable size formations.

PRA, CO2, LPG, I can only drool

I know DC said they might do the Cawood PFA.. but then again Realtrack has already also mentioned the PCA (CFMF) and has 21 pages of other suggestions to wade through.

So really if its Speedlink you'll be having some of my money  :good:

Matt, Hugh

I agree with the FPA with Russell coal container, ex SAA chassis has other uses too. This would have to have some weight to it to allow it to run empty and show off all that frame detail.

Run all over the SLK network in reasonable size formations.

PRA, CO2, LPG, I can only drool

I know DC said they might do the Cawood PFA.. but then again Realtrack has already also mentioned the PCA (CFMF) and has 21 pages of other suggestions to wade through.

So really if its Speedlink you'll be having some of my money  :good:

Thought DCkits already did the cawood PFA....there listed on their website

Thought DCkits already did the cawood PFA....there listed on their website

The DC PFA is a kit and when I tried to order recently there were none in stock.

There was talk of another run being done which I put in an interest for, (including card details) but nothing has come of that. Unless I've been missed of the list and a new run happened that I dont know about.

Either way with the amount of opportunities out there to do 2 axle speedlink wagons. Which are missing from the market. I'm getting to the stage that others have got to, and giving though to putting up some investment for a commission.

The Hornby HAA Hopper is alright but it is chunky it runs well but in a lot of places its over scale. I love to see some ODA's, VEA's (Ready to Run) The Parkside Dundas kits are brill. Unfortunately I don't have the time to build them yet! I'd love to see some two axel carbon dioxide tanks and maybe even some of the TTA/TTB's that was employed on acid workings out of Hull Saltend. PGA Hoppers as well would be brilliant along with other various D.C.E. & BR/Private owner wagons that used on Speedlink trains.

Yeah the hopper itself is a bit thick. The real ones look very thin gauge metal in comparison. A good VEA or similar would be welcome I reckon especially for the spacially challenged OO layout.

PGA hopper to modern standards would sell pretty well

Plenty of livery options to go at and the fact they ran in block trains would mean bulk sales I'd have thought

The problem with this is the sheer variety of build codes. There are enormous differences between them. I'd be first in line for some mendip ones though!

Guy

The DC PFA is a kit and when I tried to order recently there were none in stock.

There was talk of another run being done which I put in an interest for, (including card details) but nothing has come of that. Unless I've been missed of the list and a new run happened that I dont know about.

Either way with the amount of opportunities out there to do 2 axle speedlink wagons. Which are missing from the market. I'm getting to the stage that others have got to, and giving though to putting up some investment for a commission.

The PFA Kits are here at DC Kits, but due to heavy pressure of work currently, we have no time to spare, we have never been so busy.  They will get sorted once the show season backs off.  Charlie

Thanks for the update Charlie

Good to see someone else hasn't any spare time too,

With me being overseas for what seems like an eternity I really dont know what I've bought, or preordered, and from whom

Keep getting surprises on the card and the "stash" keeps growing  :O

• 3 weeks later...

HI Hugh,

All above sound great i know tons of modellers who want curtain bits as we keep asking resin scratch builders to do them but no joy unfortunately.

The ones in question thou some only ever in one livery are.....

PAB Anglesey coke hopper

RMC JGA hopper wagon, loads of liverys

POWELL DUFFRYN hooded steel bogie beefed up wagon

HGA Gunnell again in plenty of colour schemes

Proper PGA aggregates hopper multiple liverys

Russell container wagon, atleast 3 liverys on this one

TTA Vinegar tanks, i know loads want these as had tons of modellers asking me to build them out of Bachmann TTA's

TTA TDA etc.... bogie tank wagons the french built ones with ribbed bodys which run with Total, Murco Tiphook Rail etc.... would surely be an excellent seller also the Chemical tanks too LPG and ICI all highly sought after.

There the top sought after ones anyway i could reel them off all day but any of these above ^ would be mega and fill that huge gap in 4mm modelling! :sungum: :no:

Best Regards Rich.

Hi Rich

Thanks for list my next wagon is now picked but as usual I have to wait until we see what the big boys will do I have now seen how it all works and the next will not take as long(he says) my CAD designer is waiting.

Hugh

Afty Hugh, no probs all those above are totally mega wagons and would look amazing behind any loco.

On the next one can you give any clue as to what sector its from? Aggregates, steel, chemicals etc..... excited now knowing theres another in the pipe line :) also are the SPA's here ready to buy or are they still en route?

Thanks, Rich.

Afty Hugh, no probs all those above are totally mega wagons and would look amazing behind any loco.

On the next one can you give any clue as to what sector its from? Aggregates, steel, chemicals etc..... excited now knowing theres another in the pipe line :) also are the SPA's here ready to buy or are they still en route?

Thanks, Rich.

Hi Rich

The second sample is on its way for us to check.

Hugh

Hi

Just an update the wagon is now signed off for production as the factory wants to get on with it asap.

Sorry I do not know exact time scale Dave will let me know in due course. 

I am estimating cost to be around £16.95 more than I hoped for but cost have gone up to me.

Also there will only be 300 of each number produced.The Cardiff rod mill hooded version is still on the cards and the hood is cad drawn ready for tool cutting.

Hugh

Excellent news Hugh.

I do hope you get something back for all the effort and no doubt financial risk.

I'll be putting an order in for a fair few and then making them look really beaten up !

Archived