Lime Street Station

Les Green

and a photo I took at the Lytham show around 2005.

post-27-0-44412400-1338237893_thumb.jpg

those of you who have exhibit around shows in particular the north should know these two

on the left is Chris Hewitt.

Chris built all the buildings you can see behind him in this shot, including a lot of research and painting/weathering of them.

he is also responsible for the scribing and weathering the roads, cutting and bridges,moreso this end of the layout,

can see many similarities between this and his layout Olive mount cutting.

he cast the overbridges and painted/weathered the cutting.

he also built the basic pointwork and spray weathered the trackwork once track was ballasted.

he would take a board or 2 home to work on and it was a pleasure to watch him work on them.

Chris's girlfriend at the time Judy painted the backscene

on the right, what can I say about the late Jimmy Carlin, he drove the real steam locos into Lime street and other Liverpol terminus from 1943, retired from Lime street driving electrics to Euston in 1990 when he called himself a glorified tram driver.

he helped out a lot with operational knowledge,

I certainly miss him and all his jokes, he was a semi professional comedian, he did gigs all round the working mens clubs in the north west in the 1960/70s, plenty of big events in Liverpool and others such as Bernard Mannings embassy.

still as quick as a ever in his later days and his railway knowledge was fantastic.

I learned a lot from both of these men.

Mike

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jim s-w

Hi les

Never realised the pointwork is sans-chairs. Are these to be added at some point? (scuse the pun)

Cheers

Jim

Hi les

Never realised the pointwork is sans-chairs. Are these to be added at some point? (scuse the pun)

Cheers

Jim

Still to be added. There is still a lot of cosmetic work to do on the track. Ballast, chairs, point rodding etc

• 2 weeks later...

Les, any progress with the Brassmasters royal scot?

a while back we where on the lookout for shots of the now demolished shops on Commutation row so that Rob could copy it on the backscene, and struggled to find roof shots.

a good shot of them appears 20 seconds in :)

• Like 1

gotta include this, if the prototype deltic is too modern for the layout then the production deltics that ran from Lime street on the transpennine servives in their last days certainly are.

55015 and admirers on Liverpool Lime Street - 22nd October, 1981 by Deadmans Handle, on Flickr

Is anyone else wondering why there's an outside loo on the end of the platform?

Forgive my ignorance, but I wasn't around until 1983 by which time all trace of platform-end conveniences had vanished... :)

Cheers,

Will

Les, any progress with the Brassmasters royal scot?

No progress yet. I have got all the components now, but I am working on the centre roof section for the moment.

Edited by Les Green
  • Like 1

We had a bit of a chat together the other day to see who went the extra mile. One person made some of the links on a caravanning holiday, one person designed the software on holiday. I designed part of the layout on a flight to Australia. What a mad lot we are!

I think I went another extra mile last week. I had to go into hospital as an emergency case. Three days later, and still in hospital, I did a couple of days work on the station hotel design on my laptop. It certainly relieved the boredom of hospital life.

PS Now back at home again all fit and well!

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I had a few hours at John's place yesterday. I've had "withdrawal symptoms" having been away for a couple of months or more.

Its great to see the progress that's been made - more track detailed in the station throat, platforms and buildings weathered, population starting to come out of hiding etc.

John and Geoff have modified the routing from certain platforms to the Up Slow lines, as a consequence more simultaneous movements will be possible.

We have also digested the information we've gleaned from the article on Lime Street re-signalling in MRJ and discussions John has had with retired railwaymen who knew the station in steam days.

Consequently, we will be revising the operating sequence quite a bit.

This should make the running more efficient and prototyplical.

We intend to develop and fine tune the new sequence over the coming couple of months.

We'll then have time for the Warley team to be fully trained for its next outing in November.

Steve.

• Like 3

Reminds me of that chap who built a 7mm Finney A4 in his caravan, on holiday...

And then wrote it up for MRJ.

Tim Watson. He's a dentist, I think, and he normally models in 2mmFS.....

I think he stuck in a servo motor to drive the reversible valve gear.

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
Guest jim s-w

Nice! Is this a bit like one of my projects? Can the viewers actually see it?

Cheers

Jim

Edited by jim s-w
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Nice! Is this a bit like one of my projects? Can the viewers actually see it?

Cheers

Jim

Yes, indeed!

It's right in front of the Station Operators.

Being seated, they have the turntable almost at eye-level, so standing spectators can see over their heads.

Steve.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The turntables and sector plate use "Stepper Motor" technology.

Some details have been posted earlier in the topic.

You might find them if you use the Search facility at the top of each page.

The turntable mechanism was built by team member Geoff, and is now commercially available from GF Controls http://www.gfcontrols.co.uk/.

I'll try to get some video of it this weekend, both above and below ground.

Steve.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've seen one of Geoff's turntables - I was highly impressed by the engineering of the project - both mechanical and electronic. I can't remember the exact details, but IIRC it indexes to fractions of a degree. Simply the Rolls Royce of turntables.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1