Lime Street Station

Les Green

Ran my new 0-6-0 LMS Jackshaft shunter on Lime Street for the first time on Monday. Only managed to pull 33 coaches, most of which were heavy Comet coaches, with no slipping!!! Must take a photo sometime!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Ran my new 0-6-0 LMS Jackshaft shunter on Lime Street for the first time on Monday. Only managed to pull 33 coaches, most of which were heavy Comet coaches, with no slipping!!! Must take a photo sometime!

I knew we'd convert you to diesels one day..........

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

some shots i took in 2006, not the best quality they were taken on a mobile phone, Chris Hewitt and John Holden working on the track..

post-27-0-80782800-1334763339.jpg

post-27-0-14355600-1334763350.jpg

post-27-0-30343400-1334763380.jpg

post-27-0-85826400-1334763395.jpg

post-27-0-54822000-1334763408.jpg

post-27-0-49782500-1334763433.jpg

Mike

Wow, I have just spent the last days reading through this thread, like everybody else I'm very impressed and take my hat of to you and the team.

I have tried to access the old RMweb pages to see the early stages of Lime Street Station but unfortunately it doesn't seem to be available at the moment but I do appreciate the above photographs. May I ask what the baseboards are constructed from and also the platform edges, they look like pine but with the shape you have, perhaps not.

Thanks

Dan

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Five of the Lime Street team joined members of the LMS Society for a ride in the L&Y "Manchester & Blackpool Club Carriage on the Keighly & Worth Valley Railway.

post-3984-0-42126100-1335693608_thumb.jpg

post-3984-0-98438900-1335693655_thumb.jpg

post-3984-0-68064600-1335693687_thumb.jpg

post-3984-0-43417200-1335693730_thumb.jpg

post-3984-0-63792900-1335693787_thumb.jpg

What a superb restoration job.

Weather could have been more pleasant, but we had an enjoyable trip anyway.

Over lunch we discussed the next developments to be tackled on the layout.

They will no doubt be reported in some detail on this Topic, but include:

• further CCTV cameras to improve operation,
  • changes to the control software to prevent unintentional despatch of trains from the sector plate to the station,
  • on-going fine detailing of the railway infrastructure (adding chairs, ballasting, platform edges, minor buildings etc.).
  • weathering of the non-railway infrastructure
  • the Station Hotel
  • a major improvement to audience visibility of the station will be tackled by a High Definition TV Camera and two large monitors.
  • the article on re-signalling of Lime Street in LMS Journal contained some very useful information about how trains were handled at Lime Street, and the operating sequence will be reviewed with these in mind.

We'll be prioritising these and agreeing which will be completed in time for the next outing which is to the Warley Show at the NEC in November.

Steve.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

John and I spent today planning a number of improvements to the operation of the layout, and its visibility to spectators.

There are a couple of blind spots in the CCTV system we use to monitor trains in the Station area.

They are concerned with the location of the uncoupling magnets.

We've identified the location for two further cameras which will solve these problems.

Unfortunately, the video switch we use to manage the view seen on the Station operators' monitors has a capacity of eight inputs.

The new cameras will raise the number required to nine!

This means another video switch linked to the current one will eventually have to be installed.

In the meantime, the highest priority camera will be installed in the spare port, and the second one will have to take its turn in the queue for Geoff's time.

I mentioned previously the new information we had gleaned from the Signalling article in LMS Journal.

We are now reviewing the operating sequence to reflect better the way the platforms were used in 1947, and how the trains were managed.

We hope to generate a completely revised operating sequence in time for the Warley show in November.

Previous comments on RMweb about not holding engines at the platform buffers are being adressed.

The main section switching in the platforms is in place and allows Banking up the Cutting to be done.

The ability to follow a departure up the platform and stop at the starting signal requires some further switching to be installed, and that is on our list of "to do's".

At present, once a Station operator has set a departure route, he cannot do anything else until the Sector Plate operator has driven the train out, allowing him to clear the route.

The plan is to introduce a "virtual" operator at the Station who will only set departuire routes.

Once set these will be executed by the Sector Plate operator as at present, but this will leave the Station operator free to make other moves.

The result will be a significant oportunity for simultaneous moves to be made.

This will require a very major re-write of the Router software, and again will join Geoff's list.

Those who saw the layout at Ally Pally will know how difficult it can be to see into the Station area when held back behind barriers.

This will be adressed by the introduction of one or more HD video cameras and two large flat screen monitors, one in the Station area, and the other in front of the Cutting.

We spent time today considering the location of the first HD camera, and the favoured view is seen in this shot I took on my phone:

post-3984-0-92203700-1335999078_thumb.jpg

This view looks up platforms 7 to 11, which are the ones most obscured from spectators by the walls up Skehorne Street and the South Station roof.

The view of platforms 1 to 6 through the larger North roof is less obstructed.

I'm sure we'll post more details as these developments are realised in the coming weeks and months.

Steve.

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

I shall follow this with interest. Could you give more details of the HD cameras please as I would eventualy like to fit one or two under the roof at Bath for the same reasons you outline above, albeit on a much smaller scale!

Jerry

• Like 1

This layout is absolutely superb, pictures surely don't do it justice, this is a layout I must see. I have to thank the Lime Street team for producing such a masterpiece for us (and of course yourselves!) to enjoy. The attention to detail and the size of the layout is astonishing. One thing I must ask though is if anyone knows roughly how much the trolleys that the baseboards are transported in cost to make as I am considering doing something similar with my layout.

Thanks,

Michael

• Like 1

Just because I am on holiday seems to mean nobody is doing anything on Lime Street. Or are you just not reporting on your activities!! I was in Boston USA last week working on the artwork for the station gates!!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just because I am on holiday seems to mean nobody is doing anything on Lime Street. Or are you just not reporting on your activities!! I was in Boston USA last week working on the artwork for the station gates!!

You're on holiday - no need to do any layout work....

Oops - forget the above, you're always on holiday.

Keep working! :sarcastichand:

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

This layout is absolutely superb, pictures surely don't do it justice, this is a layout I must see. I have to thank the Lime Street team for producing such a masterpiece for us (and of course yourselves!) to enjoy. The attention to detail and the size of the layout is astonishing. One thing I must ask though is if anyone knows roughly how much the trolleys that the baseboards are transported in cost to make as I am considering doing something similar with my layout.

Thanks,

Michael

HI

I too would like to know where you got them from and how much they cost as i would like to use them for my new layout.

All the best

Darren

• Like 1

HI

I too would like to know where you got them from and how much they cost as i would like to use them for my new layout.

All the best

Darren

It would be hard to give a price as they are custom built, its like asking how much do baseboards cost to make.

if you want them in steel, you would find a local supplier of 1" square steel tubing.

then if you can weld, weld them into a frame for the size of your baseboards. or if not find an engineering firm or garage that would weld it up for you.

then if you wanted them powdercoating find a local firm that does that.

then extras such as trolley wheels.

its expensive if you cant do things yourself but if you can then costs are brought down.

there are many ways to do similar trolleys, such as dexian shelving material which can be bolted together rather than welded.

could maybe even try to find actual bread trolleys.

• Like 1

The disadvantage with Dexion is its lack of rigidity unless well stiffened with triangulation. The bolts also tend to undo when subjected to movement/vibration. So it would need careful design and the use of nylock nuts.

You could reduce the cost of welded trolleys by designing and making a kit of parts, which would then only need professional welding/brazing. Powder coating is very nice, but rather a luxury. For most exhibition/portable layouts a coat of etch primer and gloss paint would probably do.

• Like 1

You can learn to mig weld in a weekend if you are really persistent then you could hire a welder and do it your self. From a fabricators viewpoint the jobs above take more time so cost more money than the welding time, so doing the planning and cutting will save you more.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm also on holiday - caravanning in Cornwall.

Currently undertaking "research" - reading Railway Books etc.

Les, you should have provided homework as you did last year when I made several roof trusses in the caravan.

Steve.

• 3 weeks later...