Lime Street Station

Les Green

just for transportation, one mounts on top of the other.

No, I meant why is it double manned? Well it appears to be in the DVD footage - are the panel operators also driving the trains?

No, I meant why is it double manned? Well it appears to be in the DVD footage - are the panel operators also driving the trains?

yeah its double manned, or it can be single manned, would just take a bit longer to do the moves.

basically each man pics out a numbered card with a move to do, sometimes he can do it while his mate is doing a move or if not he just waits until his mate has finished. ie if the routes conflict.

its just to keep things moving and to take pressure off each man.

the station panel operators can drive and set up anywhere except when they set up a departing route,the fiddle yard man drives it then.

Edited by Michael Delamar
  • Like 1

Thanks for that :)

The Panel is very impressive - the amount of work in that is more than most people put into a layout, even a large one!

Edited by James

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

John has been away for a while visiting family but he's home again now.

He rang me a little while ago to confirm that Geoff has completed the software changes to allow the Sector Plate operator to drive trains into the Cutting as far as the Signal Gantry.

I can't wait for Friday when John, Rob and I will be trying it out and updating the operating instructions.

Operator training for the Watford show starts next week!

Steve.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Here's one I took earlier (07 April 1964 to be precise)  - this and a couple of other Lime Street pics from that era will be appearing in my 'Train Spotting' threads in the coming days (all being well with scanning other stuff).

And one I took earlier but after the world became colour

post-6662-0-50219700-1358507775_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

John has been away for a while visiting family but he's home again now.

He rang me a little while ago to confirm that Geoff has completed the software changes to allow the Sector Plate operator to drive trains into the Cutting as far as the Signal Gantry.

I can't wait for Friday when John, Rob and I will be trying it out and updating the operating instructions.

Operator training for the Watford show starts next week!

Steve.

Looking forward to seeing you guys again at Watford and your post-Warley changes.

Andy

• RMweb Gold

What a great day John Rob and I have had.

We managed two full runs through the full operating sequence.

The first one included a few interuptions for technical issues and some learning about the new control methods and took us over two and a half hours.

After lunch we managed another full run in just two hours.

What a difference the new facilities make.

The workload seems to be more balanced between the Station and Sector Plate operators, with very few occasions where one is waiting for the other.

I managed to get a little video shot in the Cutting which demonstrates a move we couldn't previously have performed without some very careful "stage management".

New features of the controls allow the sector plate operator to drive trains into the Cutting as far as the Gantry.
From there the Station operator takes over to drive them into the station.
Here we see a Newcastle train of 8 Gresley teak coaches waiting for the road whilst a Streamlined Coronation leaves Platform 7 with the Manxman train of 11 coaches heading for London.
Eventually the Scot gets the road to Platform 8, and is smartly off the mark!
As the cutting clears we see the Station Pilot, a jack-shaft diesel simmering quietly in the shunting neck awaiting its next duty.

Steve.

Edited by SteveAtBax
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Here's another video clip from yesterday's testing session.

A fixed camera view of part of an Operating session taken to measure traffic movement and idle time in the station.
About 50% of the time there was no movement visible from this camera! (Most of which has been edited out).
There was of course plenty going on elsewhere, particularly in the Cutting and the Sector Plate / Fiddle Yard.

Hope you don't find it too boring.............

Steve.

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Looks as though you've solved the simultaneous departure and arrival problem. I'm looking forward to seeing LS again at Watford (when I can sneak off from my designated operating duties!)

Andy

Thanks Andy,

The latest changes are certainly a big step forward, but the next development will really complete the task.

More details later....

Steve.

Hi

In the articles I have read about his layout it states the layout is set during 1947, but, one of the photos of the layout I have seen shows a Duchess in Crimson without smoke deflectors, while I was aware that locos survived the war still in crimson can I ask if the duchess is correct for the period without deflectors or is it and out of period loco you use. No critisism intended just interested.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Hi

In the articles I have read about his layout it states the layout is set during 1947, but, one of the photos of the layout I have seen shows a Duchess in Crimson without smoke deflectors, while I was aware that locos survived the war still in crimson can I ask if the duchess is correct for the period without deflectors or is it and out of period loco you use. No critisism intended just interested.

Ian

Hello Ian,

The crimson Duchess you have seen is not one of the regular fleet.

It belongs to one of the team and was photographed exercising running rights.

You may have seen occasional visits from the future as well, e.g Overhead Electric locos and multiple units have been seen!

Some parts of the layout offer a very good location for a "photo shoot".

Steve.

Hi Steve

Thanks for that, I had seen the "future" stock photos, but, the query regarding the non deflector Duchess came about because the 1947 LMS period would be my period of choice and sorting out the loco variations that could be run even within classes is a minefield.

Ian

post-8613-0-02238900-1358781913_thumb.jpg

All the major sub assemblies for the two missing sections of the roof have now been completed. The next step is to make the wooden templates to build the roof on. The roof will not be complete in time for Watford, but should be complete for sometime in the summer of this year.

• Like 18

Hi

Ian

I am at the risk of being shot down in flames here. I think the only Coronation to last in Crimson Lake until 1947 was 6233. But by then it had smoke deflectors fitted. The deflectors were fitted in March 1946 and the loco was painted black with maroon/straw lining in October 1947.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Here's another video clip I took of Monday's operator training session.

In this static view you can see the following tracks, from Left to Right:

Down Slow & Fast lines, a Head Shunt, Up Fast & Slow lines, the second Head Shunt and finally the ten storage sidings.

These are all serviced by the five road sector plate.

At the extreme left of the shot you can see the operation sequence cards being turned over by the operator as each instruction is executed.

In the back ground you might hear some banter between the operators, and John giving some tuition to Noel on only his second session as a new operator.

Steve

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

What's the spray for? Simulating rain? :no: 

No, its known as our "Dynamic Wheel Cleaner".

Thin strip of tissue - single ply of cheapest is best.

Spray with Iso-Propyl Alcohol, keep it damp.

Every train arriving at the sector plate from the station runs over this.

Keeps the wheels clean, and we never have to clean the track.

We were finding that cleaning the track before a show caused damage.

As we never clean it between shows, and it runs without problems, why run the risk of more damage by cleaning it then?

The Station Pilot still gets very dirty, as it never leaves the station (except to have its wheels cleaned). :O

For a "Deep Clean" of the stock we spread out a full sheet of kitchen roll over a length of track, soak it in IPA and handball the stock, item by item, over it.

Steve.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi

I don't know if this has been posted before, but i have searched the site and could not fined it. A good bit of "managerial improvisation" was used in the making of it, so the film quality is not that good, but the content is exceptional 

Gary

Not only have we a lot of ballasting to do, we need a large amount of litter!

Unless everyone was much tidier in 1947 :angel:

Steve.

• Like 1