Lime Street Station

Les Green

post-8613-0-70053100-1377178414_thumb.jpg

We are guessing that this is the correct colour scheme for the buffers in 1947. The white line down the edge of the red beam is, we believe, a wartime addition to aid visibilty at night. What we need is someone to say ' That is not the right colour scheme, the correct colour scheme is ......'.

Any offers? Of course, the final version will be heavily weathered, so the colour scheme may be irrelevant!.

• Like 6

Hello Les,

did you see my reply to the buffers in mess. #886?

OzzyO.

Yes I saw the reply. We are working on breaking it down now. The two sides are not handed but we do have an alternative version of the sidepiece. Same with the main buffer beam, there are two versions. We are going to try to make the cross beam and the two cylinders as one piece, with a small insert to keep the spring in place. The next problem is of course making the items suitable for casting. Does anyone know of a company that can do fine detail white metal casting from 3D printed resin?

Yes I saw the reply. We are working on breaking it down now. The two sides are not handed but we do have an alternative version of the sidepiece. Same with the main buffer beam, there are two versions. We are going to try to make the cross beam and the two cylinders as one piece, with a small insert to keep the spring in place. The next problem is of course making the items suitable for casting. Does anyone know of a company that can do fine detail white metal casting from 3D printed resin?

Hello Les,

have a word with Pete Harvey, Bill Bedford, Michel Edge, etc., I'm not sure if they are following this thread, but if you drop them a PM I'm sure they will be able to help you.

OzzyO.

Edited by ozzyo

Les,

have a word with Dave Ellis at South Eastern Finecast. He produces vulcanised moulds which are better than cold cure. However, it may be that the heat generated in the vulcanising process will cause problems with resin masters.

Of course the other man to speak to is Dave Franks at LMS.

Jol

• 2 weeks later...

post-8613-0-84752400-1378822383_thumb.jpg

Well, here we are. The LNWR buffers were finally 3D printed. We looked at vacuum resin casting the individual components to make a kit, but the break even point was 15 buffers as the initial costs are significantly higher than for 3D printing. How many buffers do we need; 15! So to make it easier for ourselves we printed eight at a time. On the sprue are three different variations of buffer. A round edge buffer beam which we assume is the earlier variant. These will go on the station under the earlier North Roof. The square edge buffer beams will go under the newer South Roof. The train platforms will have a strengthend structure of bufer stop, whilst those on the sidings will have the unstrengthend version. The vertical pieces between the buffer beams are the collars through which the buffer shanks fit and which hold the springs in place.. Now to make them.....

• Like 13

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

For those not going on holiday, unless its to the Lancashire area, don't forget you can come and see Lime Street at the Southport exhibition in a week's time.

Steve.

P.s. RMWebbers always welcome to have a look "behind the scenes" - just introduce yourself to one of the team.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for asking Michael.

The show was very successful, halting the recent trend of reducing attendances.

I believe everyone had a busy, enjoyable, profitable, entertaining time.

Personally I spent almost all the opening hours encouraging the paying visitors who were taxpayers to support us with "Gift Aid"

as result of BELMRS having recently been recognised as a Charity by HMRC.

I'm now eagerly anticipating a weekend of operating on Lime Street at the Southport show.

Steve

Blackburn &East Lancs MRS (BELMRS)

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

All back home from Southport by 10pm Sunday.

For those who've missed it at Blackburn and Southport, here is a shot or two of some of the scenic work Rob Harrison has been doing.

I think the extra depth he achieves with his perspective drawings really adds to the atmosphere...

post-3984-0-20348700-1380812443_thumb.jpg

post-3984-0-66517700-1380812444_thumb.jpg

And Rob at work behind the layout during the Blackburn show:

post-3984-0-63607700-1380812441_thumb.jpg

Steve.

• Like 8

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

What a long time with nothing to report.............

The layout has been stored in its transport frames since returning from the Southport show in September.

In the meantime, John has been producing a charity Ice Show at the Blackpool Ice Arena, and his good lady has been making all the skaters' costumes.

The railway room has been full of ostrich feathers and frilly undies etc for the last few weeks.

I'm pleased to say some normality has been restored today:

Brian, John and I spent the day erectig the main baseboards ready for more Ballasting, Point Rodding, Backscenes, Buffer Stops etc. to be progressed.

I replaced a faulty servo motor in one of the signals, and brought the large Gantry home with me for some maintenance.

It also means Rob and I can have it on our Warley Demo Stand at the end of the month.

We have no shows booked now until Expo EM North and Halifax in September next year, so we'll hopefully make a lot of progress with the layout whilst unable to run any trains!

Keep watching this space.....

Steve.

What a long time with nothing to report.............

The railway room has been full of ostrich feathers and frilly undies etc for the last few weeks.

Keep watching this space.....

Steve.

I look forward to seeing a picture of John Holden in ostrich feathers and frilly undies!   ---    Perhaps not!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I replaced a faulty servo motor in one of the signals, and brought the large Gantry home with me for some maintenance.

It also means Rob and I can have it on our Warley Demo Stand at the end of the month.

Here's that blast from the past......

If my memory serves me correctly, I posted some details of this signal back on the old RMWeb, so many of you won't have seen much of it before.

post-3984-0-98421300-1384875599_thumb.jpg

The signal sits on two platform surfaces, and controls movements from Platforms 2,3,4 and 5.

Each platform has a starter for the Slow and Fast lines, and a smaller arm for movements within the station area.

Because the area below the signal is very congested with point motors etc., the servos for the signal are off-set to a lower level on their own baseboard.

The long screwed rods set and maintain the distance correctly, and the two 1in dia brass tubes ensure everything lines up corrcetly:

post-3984-0-91853800-1384875603_thumb.jpg

This assembly/test/transport frame reproduces the layout location quite accurately and is invaluable for such maintenance work.

From the rear of the signal you can see the servos more clearly, and how they are connected to the operating wires:

post-3984-0-82044800-1384875597_thumb.jpg

Finally a bit more detail of the rocking shafts and connections to the signal arms:

post-3984-0-18236800-1384875602_thumb.jpg

Rob and I will have this signal on our demo stand at Warley over the coming weekend.

It will be connected up to one of Geoff's new 8-way servo controllers, so come along and have a play with it.

See you at Stand E17.

Steve.

• Like 4

That's a lovely gantry - presumably LMS UQ signals on an LNWR structure?

In which case I'm puzzled by the rocking arms. Are these prototypical or are they a modelling expedient? I'm currently building a smaller LNWR gantry and am trying to get proper cranks to work but the etched versions available from the likes of Wizard are somewhat overscale.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

It looks like an early LMS structure to me, LNWR would have wooden dolls.

The shunt signals took trains to the neck iirc.

From what we can determine from the limited photographs available, the LMS installed Round Dolls with U/Q arms on old LNWR Brackets and the Gantry when they removed the old turntable to the North of the platforms.

post-3984-0-27762800-1385027841.jpg

A view from Plat 6, with the U/Q arms on the gantry just visible over the coach roof.

post-3984-0-99534500-1385027842.png

The gantry in LNWR days.

They did similar we believe on Platforms 10 and 11 when the Turnatble we have on the model was installed.

The middle platforms, un-affected by these changes retained LNWR L/Q signals until the Power Box was installed in early BR days.

Further evidence to confirm or correct our assumptions will be very gratefully received!

Steve.

• Like 1