Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

In the begining!.........Genesis, chapter 1

Whilst having a rummage and clear out (with nearly 40 years worth of 'stuff'') I found the following piccy!:lol:

Its my first layout, built on a 6'x4' peice of softboard, no framing and sat on (I think) old paint tins or similar (my Uncle was a painter and decorator!).

Its got on the back, 'Lawnton Green' and dated 1976 when I was a mere lad of 14.:P

What a lot of water has passed under the bridge since then!

Anyone else got a piccy of their first layout..............?

post-7061-0-94830100-1299860538_thumb.jpg

Its going with me, (hopefully not yet) along with my fav dvd's (Kellys Heroes etc), family phots, my ABBA collection and Undertones vinyls!:D

Sir D, good effort and thanks for posting.

make sure you keep the picture (prob easier with digi!) for posterity.

I can clearly remember my mate Pete Taylor taking the pics, he had an old 126 film camera with bellows on it, which used to be his dads!

I still have all the stock, which isn't bad after all these years, and yes, the Hornby pannier STILL works a treat (tho it wont of course run on code 75).

Its in a box with all sorts of bits and pieces!

I never got any photos of the 6x4 board with twin ovals of track on from when I was a child. Some years ago, I did build this before the cats (kittens at the time) meant it got taken down. Hmph. I should imagine it ticks all kinds of boxes as far as cliches go but we have to start somewhere I suppose.

post-6733-0-57918500-1299874954_thumb.jpg

The wallpaper HAS since been removed. If I can find another photo you will see why that's a good thing. :lol:

EDIT: Found another shot:

post-6733-0-32033600-1299875684_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

In 1958 Dad built a layout in the loft when I was about 9 years old. I took over his layout based on Tetbury and Cwmmawr stations in the garden shed.

post-5613-0-20281700-1299879876_thumb.jpg

Tetbury

post-5613-0-42832600-1299879870_thumb.jpg

Cwmmawr

Both 00 gauge

David

• RMweb Gold

My first layout was a Hornby Dublo set I was given for Christmas 1958.

The first picture below was taken when it was set up on the dining table in the front room in 1961

The remaining pictures show it set up on a 6' x 5' baseboard in the late 1960s. The layout was dismantled in late 1970 but parts of it are still in use today.

post-158-0-73498800-1299881553_thumb.jpg

post-158-0-19193300-1299881618_thumb.jpg

post-158-0-76376300-1299881709_thumb.jpg

I can't because photography was in it's infancy..............

It was Hornby Dublo and I'll try to find the one picture of it - it was in "The Railway Room" at a large house my Father's family had in Stoke Newington. It wasn't really mine it was shared by the whole extended family.

Best, Pete.

Never took any photos of my childhood layout. It wasn't much of a layout, tbh. Yours put it to shame!

After some years out of the hobby, I took it up again in my 20s. We had a flood Easter 1998 and had to have a fire door replaced. When it dried out it still lookd OK to me, so rather than take it to the tip I stuck some plywood over it and built a test track layout which still sits in my railway room. It's called Dorton Junction. Because it's built on a door and it weighs a ton :lol:

The track laying isn't up to much, and running isn't satisfactory as a result. So it's shortly going to be dismantled and a more satisfactory layout built into the railway room.

Meanwhile, after several false starts (don't ask!) my first portable layout is coming on by leaps and bounds in the drawing room. The name is still to be decided. It is a little passing station roundy-roundy depicting a section of the fictitious Ouse Valley Light Railway. I'll take and post some photos of that when it's a little more advanced. I can report, however, that track laying and wiring are complete and that running is most satisfactory. But then again, it's hard to go that far wrong with Kato Unitrack ...

I never got any photos of the 6x4 board with twin ovals of track on from when I was a child. Some years ago, I did build this before the cats (kittens at the time) meant it got taken down. Hmph. I should imagine it ticks all kinds of boxes as far as cliches go but we have to start somewhere I suppose.

post-6733-0-57918500-1299874954_thumb.jpg

post-6733-0-32033600-1299875684_thumb.jpg

That sixteen-wheeler's certainly no slouch, even now. I'd be pleased to have her rubbing shoulders* with my gang :D

* cantrails surely, loco anatomy Ed

My first proper layout when I was about 8:

layout_wj1.jpg

Two very flimsy boards resting on a pair of pasting tables that eventually sagged in the middle! At one stage the turntable got shifted to the left and I enclosed the central section in a massive hangar (made out of cardboard) that housed my collection of Airfix kit aircraft. Rather good to peer in at one end and see a Lancaster next to the turntable!

Layout number two:

layout_wj2.jpg

Westwood Junction (Mk1) was 6ft x 6ft layout with a very long shed at the back, which locos tended to get lost in, hence the construction of a glass top workshop/shed on the left hand side. Grand plans for a narrow gauge line starting at the Church and ending where Rocket is never came to fruition, but the N and OO9 stock purchased eventually found use on my N gauge layout and the narrow gauge line on Westwood Junction Mk3.

After completing my GCSE's I decided I wanted a roundhouse, something I had developed a taste for from visits to the New Romney layout at the RH&DR. So Westwood Junction Mk2 was developed out of the main boards from Mk1 version:

layout_r_01.jpg

layout_r_shed.jpg

Both photos show the layout in the midst of demolition in the summer of 2007 when I had to get rid of it ready to develop Westwood Junction Mk3, which had the full run of the loft. This layout developed my scenic skills a little further, but left a lot to be desired e.g. that hideous foam underlay! My first layout was a basic bit of old Tri-ang track laid on a sideboard giving an out and back run, and this layout was a return to that concept but with a very poorly thought out fiddleyard area (I was so desperate for that roundhouse!). So I wanted to get back to a circular track layout.

So on to Westwood Junction Mk3, my curent project, operational but on ice until we have got the BWWMRC's Horton layout ready:

layout_new_wip5.jpg

layout_new_wip14.jpg

And that as they say, is that! :)

Regards,

Dan

I'm still using the original baseboard of my first ever layout! :lol: :D

Pre-Copley Hill days:

post-1656-0-96334600-1300142291_thumb.jpg

post-1656-0-46743000-1300142308_thumb.jpg

The one thing which alarms me is the amount of GWR stock on the layout! :blink: I still own a few of those models, but I don't remember owning an old Lima King at any point.

Then there's this pic which made me laugh:

post-1656-0-70451500-1300142322_thumb.jpg

My dad bought this at a fair, and put it on the train set as a "grounded coach body". I later worked out it was an old coach from a Triang Rocket set. Years and years later, I have two matching coaches and am in the process of restoring this one to go behind my late Grandfather's Triang Rocket! :)

EDIT:

Just to add - those are smashing pics Dan! :)

The following are from my first attempts at railway modelling back in around 2000. The scenics were passable, but the baseboard construction and electrics were rubbish. Over time these limitations led to the layout seeing little use and eventually being ripped apart for material to be recycled into 'Grove street yard'.

post-8701-0-98220200-1300231268_thumb.jpg

post-8701-0-59119200-1300231284_thumb.jpg

I found some construction images too, and for those interested, this picture is of the portion of the layout recently featured in the Model Rail article on recycling a layout.

post-8701-0-55729400-1300231277_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

I don't remember taking any photo's of my first train set (or my parents doing so either), but my child like self is very jealous of some of the layouts that have been shown on here.

I think Martin's tiny hill with the windmill on top takes some beating! :D

:lol:

It's sat on top of a foam box I think in that pic! :lol:

And I thought his loco stud 'on shed' was pretty impressive... until I saw the additional selection in the display cabinet on the wall :O B)

Shared with an equally train-mad father mind! :)

Worked out where the Lima King came from - my friend Andrew brought it round as its his model sitting there. From the looks of it, neither the Flying Scotsmans nor the Eurostar have moved from their space in the cabinet for over 10 years :blink:

• RMweb Gold

I don't have any photos going back into my prehistoric times. I never had a decent camera until 1979, but one or two model photos were taken earlier than that, usually by others who had better cameras and also knew what they were doing. There are photos of the original 005 modules that we built when in the Sixth Form in the mid-1970s, so I'll try to dig some of them up.

Christmas 1976. I was 4. Built by my grandad, straight out of the Cyril Freezer book of track plans - but living half an hour from the Peco factory that wasn't too much of a surprise. Check out the hideous wallpaper and lime green woodwork...

firstlayoutsmall.jpg

I don't have any pictures of my old clock-work Hornby set that I used to have.... and once I graduated from that, I stated 'helping' my Dad with his.

My first layout was actually fairly recent... about 6yrs ago.. fairly large for a first go at one on my own... but, I had the room... and was spoiled by being able to run 'full length' 4-coach trains and wanted to keep doing so.

IMG00002-1.jpg

IMG00003-1.jpg

IMG00018.jpg

I don't have any other photo's... but if I locate them, I'll post more!

Archived