Kernow Adams O2

Any further progress updates or changes in release date?

I have two on order.  I have ordered the BR early versions without the air controls and will have to backdate the livery to black wartime Southern for 1945-47. For an immediate operational plan when they arrive they will have to pull a set of olive green Southern Maunsell coaches from Padstow to Bodmin. 

They are in the race from the far east with my orders for Athearn Skyline casing Southern Pacific MT 4 and a pair of Proto 2000 black widow SD 9's 

Not a lot more it can do on this project at the moment as tooling is being done.
Box artwork and decoration artwork will be specified by my client, and will 'dovetail' with production items.

Meanwhile I'm busy on other things both announced and non announced. :-))

Cheers
Dave

• Like 1

Hi Autocoach,

Just awaiting the first EP sample from China at the moment.

Once Kernow have it, I'm sure they will publish pictures of it on their website etc. (once they do, Graham or I will publish some here).

Cheers

Dave

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I can confirm that further images of the very first EP's will be in the newsletter tomorrow and also on my blog to coincide with the issuing of the newsletter.

I can confirm that further images of the very first EP's will be in the newsletter tomorrow and also on my blog to coincide with the issuing of the newsletter.

And on here with kind permission from Chris at Kernow.

I'll also be going through the processes remaining now to bring this lovely model to production.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I would also add that some of the combinations of slides etc. within the tooling used above on these very first EP's do not fully reflect the final build options. For example the mainland Pull Push fitted example has included the side tank strengthening plate as applied to some of the Isle of Wight versions such as W24 Calboune and also the smokebox mounted pump shown is the IoW version not the PP version.

DJM Dave, you say a coreless motor, will that work on feedback controllers DC ??

thanks for the update

Jim

Hi Jim,

It really depends on the type of feedback controller, as tests have show it can vary from controller make to make.

Ironically a standard ( non feedback) controller can give much better performance than feedback in these instances.

You would also be surprised at how some cheaper decoders work better than more expensive ones too!

Cheers

Dave

Incredible pics.

Love the 'daylight' between the sand boxes and the smokebox at the front end, and the wheel faces look particularly tasty!

Only comment (I think I've previously mentioned it) is the distance between bottom of smokebox door and cylinder covers. It looks a fraction too much when compared to pictures of Calbourne....

Edited by G-BOAF

Incredible pics.

Love the 'daylight' between the sand boxes and the smokebox at the front end, and the wheel faces look particularly tasty!

Only comment (I think I've previously mentioned it) is the distance between bottom of smokebox door and cylinder covers. It looks a fraction too much when compared to pictures of Calbourne....

I'll take a look at that as I did the photo survey on Calbourne, and try and put a comparison picture up tonight or tomorrow.

I like the daylight you mention too, more design right than 'clever' ;-)

Cheers

Dave

I'll take a look at that as I did the photo survey on Calbourne, and try and put a comparison picture up tonight or tomorrow.

I like the daylight you mention too, more design right than 'clever' ;-)

Cheers

Dave

Thanks Dave

Indeed design right. Doubtless 'design cleaver' could have knocked these models out for £40 cheaper, but the finesse you and KMRC are achieving is worth many times that.

It would be be good to see a comparison picture.

Two further things - any chance the central depression on the wheel axle can be modelled (don't know what the proper name is, but its where the lathe centres fit). Also some of the buffers are at odd angles - something to watch out for with assembly, flash, or component interface.

Your receptiveness to feedback is as always appreciated...!

Did you have any problems getting the weight/balance "right" to give decent haulage ?

Hi mate,

At the minute the fulcrum of weight distribution is right above the rear driver centre. However this is without a motor, pcb wiring and extra weight which will come with the first working model in about 10 days time.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 2

I notice the rods on the pics you posted are plain section. Will fluted rods be available on the final production models? Certainly Calbourne has fluted rods since the 1960s.

Also any progress on digging out front end shots re smokebox/cylinder gap?

Edited by G-BOAF

Hi mate,

If Fluted rods are specified by Kernow then yes they will have them,

However as previously mentioned, the pictures are of first EP samples and shouldn't be taken as indicative of the finished model.

As for the picture......Eeeeeeeeeek, ever had that ' I know I've forgotten something' feeling? Yup, guilty as charged.

Bear with me and I'll put that right as soon as possible. Sorry :-(

Cheers

Dave