Kernow Adams O2

• RMweb Premium

I do wonder if thought is being given to upscaling the O2 to 7mm. Would make a cracking small tank for many a small branch layout and would complement the upscaling of the BWT.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The Terrier is being done in 7mm and is also very good for small layouts. In combination with the O2 it would make micro IoW layouts quite plausible (at least from a locomotive point of view - stock is a different matter).

I can't resist re-iterating yet again that I'd still like to see a down-scaling of the future 7mm Terrier to 4mm though ;)

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just be way of an unofficial update the Island version CADs are pretty much finished and those for the Mainland versions are currently being updated following a recent set of comments and amendments sent to China. Keep the patience.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Layout isn't finished so I'm just worried it still won't be when they're ready! I wonder if anyone's considered an RMweb modular IoW, (like the US modellers on here are trying in the freemo topic) ;)

Just a thought :)

It's a good idea to sign up for Kernow's weekly newsletter and then you'll get the news when there is anything to report.

Have been receiving it for many years now each week. But stirring up RMWEB is more fun....

Just be way of an unofficial update the Island version CADs are pretty much finished and those for the Mainland versions are currently being updated following a recent set of comments and amendments sent to China. Keep the patience.

Graham

On the mainland versions, do you recon it will be fairly straight forward to remove the Push/Pull gear and air pump for the Wadebridge shed allocation? I have a pair on order. I am just into future planning even though these are probably not arriving until  sometime in 2014.

Probably too late, but I am still campaigning for separate instead of cast on smoke box number plates on BR versions so I can cut them off and bin them without scraping and filing.

Edited by autocoach

• RMweb Gold

Ken

There will be quite a bit of detail with the Pull Push equipment to be removed I'm afraid, personally I would go for one of the BR livery non PP versions and repaint as the SR livery is a simple plain black (which is what I will be doing).

The BR smokebox number plates will be part of the door moulding but the whole door is in itself a separate component so it might be possible to obtain some alternative spares but I cant promise that they will be available. At lease being a separate part it will make the removal of the number plate easier to carry our away from the rest of the loco.

Edited by Graham_Muz

• 1 month later...

Ken

There will be quite a bit of detail with the Pull Push equipment to be removed I'm afraid, personally I would go for one of the BR livery non PP versions and repaint as the SR livery is a simple plain black (which is what I will be doing).

The BR smokebox number plates will be part of the door moulding but the whole door is in itself a separate component so it might be possible to obtain some alternative spares but I cant promise that they will be available. At lease being a separate part it will make the removal of the number plate easier to carry our away from the rest of the loco.

Ken

Orders appropriately amended.

I have stocked up on Mainly Trains smokebox handles in anticipation of having to strip the smokebox door.

Hope the project has not been set back after Dapol Dave's departure....

That's for Dapol to manage. Their business is clearly more than a one-man show, but it would be unrealistic to expect the departure of a key employee in the development and production process to have no effect. Even though we have heard from any number of potential candidates for the post confident of their ability to do it quicker and better, and totally within the UK... ;-)

... I wonder if anyone's considered an RMweb modular IoW, (like the US modellers on here are trying in the freemo topic) ...

Get a bunch of chalk quarried on the island, and made into dressed freemo blocks. Then you can claim accuracy down to the surface stratum...

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

By production we mean the initial tooling and first off Engineering Prototypes, that will be followed by running samples, then livery samples and finally a sign off for full production.... 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Grahme Muz posted links to updated CADs on the Kernow facebook page on his blog  -  it says that they hope to start production around Christmas ;

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.643895638985320.1073741846.207521425956079&type=1

Looking good. I have my name down for a brace but I have to admit that even more interested in the coaches!

John

• RMweb Gold

I am happy to confirm that the Cads for all six of the first 6 variants announced have been signed off for tooling to commence. A couple of the Cads can be seen on my blog here  along with an update on other SR relates modelling news.

John, we have received a further set of Cads for the Gate Stock which I am reviewing this weekend, but there are from an initial quick scan a number of corrections still to be made before these can be signed off.

Just to update everyone, Kernow have announced a seventh version of the O2 in Southern Maunsell livery fitted with push pull gear, numbered 207.  It was announced today on Facebook via their e-newsletter (non facebook link here - http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/index.html?action=23)

The pre-order price is £104.99, price once it is in the shops is £119.99.  One small word of warning, I had ordered my Southern black liveried O2 way back in January 2011 at the then pre-order price of £91.99.  Unfortunately, on changing to the Maunsell liveried one, the pre-order price is £15 more expensive.  Whilst I'm slightly disappointed that the order couldn't have been held at the £91.99 price given I was only asking for a livery swap, I did decide to change my order in the end as I want to support the shop.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Matt,

Who knows, but I'd never say never to be honest.

Cheers

Dave

Shouldn't you be burning the midnight oil cutting metal or something.....??

#cantwaitforthedarnedthing

Shouldn't you be burning the midnight oil cutting metal or something.....??

#cantwaitforthedarnedthing

Not a lot more it can do on this project at the moment as tooling is being done.

Box artwork and decoration artwork will be specified by my client, and will 'dovetail' with production items.

Meanwhile I'm busy on other things both announced and non announced. :-))

Cheers

Dave

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Further to my earlier post about transferring orders to the new Maunsell liveried 02, Kernow sent me the following update a few days ago:

Dear Mr White,
thanks for your phone call yesterday regarding changing your order for the 02 tank.
I've now had a chance to clarify the situation with the boss.
If you are changing your order on a 1 for 1 basis, we will honour the original pre-order price, except where in your case, yours was ordered at the pre-VAT increase price which was subsequently increased to £94.99 shortly after.
In summary, I have now cancelled the order from yesterday and re-input it today at £94.99.
Thanks for your understanding,
regards,
Greg

Many thanks to Kernow for the clarification from one loyal and happy customer.  I've several other items on order with Kernow and I'm very happy to support an excellent business.

Chris

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've several other items on order with Kernow and I'm very happy to support an excellent business.

Agreed entirely.  They like all other shops are de facto tax collectors for the Gummint and the VAT element of prices is therefore outside their control.  That they choose to honour pre-order prices when in some cases the goods have not appeared (or are not likely to appear) for 4 - 5 years and costs have significantly increased in that time speaks volumes for their business ethics and a determination to win and retain custom. 

By contrast it's not that long ago since I had an email from another large retailer advising that a pre-order for an item could no longer be fulfilled.  The item was ordered when stocks were anticipated but not yet available however the item arrived with a new suffix code (that's the A, B, C etc after the usual number) and the retailer in question determined this was a different item (despite being identical in all other respects) and would have to be charged for at the appropriate and rather higher price.