Kernow Adams O2

And first with the latest - here are the EPs of the two IoW versions which arrived with Kernow today (I have their permission to post these pics) - smashing little engines and some top notch detailing on them although some of it, particularly some rivets, doesn't show too well in unpainted form.  

I wonder if any ever ran in Wales ;)

I can assure you that they will....!!!!!

Tony

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I do not think there are plans at the moment for the Drummond boiler or the alternative cabs, the tooling for the sheer number of variants already cover was complex (not to mention expensive!) enough!

I can hear the beat of the Westinghouse air pump, which would be a huge persuader in favour of adding a sound chip and speaker.

These photographs depict r-t-r modelling of quite exceptional quality, and I hope that first orders fully support a remarkable commercial venture.

PB

Hear! Hear! to that. It's interesting to see that even the welded-on plate at the bottom of the tanks which only appeared in the last days is featured. Of course, the preserved  loco has these.

Only one comment, which applies to many modern models: is it possible to reduce the thickness of the chimney top, even if only by chamfering the rim?

JE

Edited by Belgian

• RMweb Gold

And first with the latest - here are the EPs of the two IoW versions which arrived with Kernow today (I have their permission to post these pics) - smashing little engines and some top notch detailing on them although some of it, particularly some rivets, doesn't show too well in unpainted form.  

PS Click on the pics to enlarge them

attachicon.gifDSCF7887cr.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCF7890.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCF7891.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCF7892.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCF7893.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCF7900cr.jpg

Lovely pics, are the buffers sprung?

I find myself taking something abrasive to chimney tops on RTR fairly frequently to get a 'sharp edge' when it existed in reality. Either fine abrasive paper wrapped round a cocktail stick or similar to the right diameter, or a fine needle file if opening the chimney diameter. For the rim, I would work from below as being less visible once finished. For the chimney top, open the diameter, even if it makes the aperture slightly overscale it usually will not show once painted all black and mucky. Choose a day with bright sunlight when you can examine the result closely after each gentle pass, try for long smooth strokes as you follow the curve round. Generally, best remove slightly too little...

It's a lovely looking model, will well reward a little personalisation to get an 'in service' condition.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

PS Click on the pics to enlarge them

attachicon.gifDSCF7887cr.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCF7890.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCF7891.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCF7892.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCF7893.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCF7900cr.jpg

Brilliant. The LNER and GWR boys are welcome to their big engines - these and Hornby's 700s will keep me happy for some time.

Hope the coaches won't be too far behind (or the couplings won't reach)  :jester:

John

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I find myself taking something abrasive to chimney tops on RTR fairly frequently to get a 'sharp edge' when it existed in reality. Either fine abrasive paper wrapped round a cocktail stick or similar to the right diameter, or a fine needle file if opening the chimney diameter. For the rim, I would work from below as being less visible once finished. For the chimney top, open the diameter, even if it makes the aperture slightly overscale it usually will not show once painted all black and mucky. Choose a day with bright sunlight when you can examine the result closely after each gentle pass, try for long smooth strokes as you follow the curve round. Generally, best remove slightly too little...

It's a lovely looking model, will well reward a little personalisation to get an 'in service' condition.

sounds like a job for a taper reamer.

For some odd reason, I get the impression that the middle O2 is shorter than the outer O2s. In fact when I measure the images the front middle one is shorter by 10%, yet all 3 front row ones seem to be the same distance away from camera.

Are they different lengths?

Secondly, I had not realised the IOW versions were that different.

• RMweb Gold

I am not sure why you would want to try and measure off a photograph where the angle of each of the models is different and neither is the camera central or square on, it's all a bit of an optical illusion. I can assure you, as I have copies of the CADS, that all the models are the same length buffer to buffer (the IoW extended bunkers overhang the buffers)

The one that is shorter of course is the well tank....grabs coat...

• Like 1

Thanks, I thought it might be an optical illusion. My measurements were buffer to buffer and I am really surprised that the difference is 10 to 15% between the 3 in the front row.

Proof - maybe - that you cannot always compare with photos.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks, I thought it might be an optical illusion. My measurements were buffer to buffer and I am really surprised that the difference is 10 to 15% between the 3 in the front row.

Proof - maybe - that you cannot always compare with photos.

Modern affordable cameras have lenses that are necessarily compromising in their output. Great for many things we snap - but imprecise in such circumstances.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Looks like the end of the year is going to be a bit of a problem in the wallet department. ...O2...700....

Rob

• Like 1

I've held off ordering in hope that there's be an announcement of an Isle of Wight engine in Southern green, but as far as I can see after a lengthy wait, there's nothing doing as yet.

Might this still be a prospect?

If not, can anyone more expert in these matters tell me please which of the 'BR black' models could be most easily and closely simply be repainted to represent which specific SR IOW locos?

Many thanks.

• RMweb Gold

I've held off ordering in hope that there's be an announcement of an Isle of Wight engine in Southern green, but as far as I can see after a lengthy wait, there's nothing doing as yet.

Might this still be a prospect?

If not, can anyone more expert in these matters tell me please which of the 'BR black' models could be most easily and closely simply be repainted to represent which specific SR IOW locos?

Many thanks.

There are only two IoW versions as far as I know - one has the side tank patch and is, I believe either late VBR or preservation era, the other does not have the patch and is (if such a thing could be said to exist) 'standard' IoW O2  in outline etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all      Kernow have had my cash for a long time now, originally for the 7mm Well tank but transferred, hopefully, for a Maunsell liveried O2 in 4mm .  I have only just seen the prepro pictures and the first thing that hit me was that the cab cutout looked too low at the top. I find this has already been picked up and is certainly something which needs looking into.    It almost gives the impression that there has been some sort of mix up with the high roofed final series and the original series with low roofs even though all the planned models are the early batch. 

It is not clear on the samples what smokebox rivet patterns will be produced as they don't seem to show any rivets at the moment.  I wonder if there is any hope of revisions being made as, from past experience, the model may well now be in it's finalised form. Delivery has clearly slipped somewhat but I certainly hope to have my model by the beginning of 2015.   Another problem which I think will rear its ugly head soon is the spectacle plate ventilator holes, these appear too large and too low and as they are always above the lining they may either finish up below the lining if it is to scale which will look very odd or the lining will be much lower than it should be which will look equally odd.   The latter may be what will be done and may also be why the cab cutout is too low to match the lining. Personally I would have preferred scale size holes in the correct position, even if they were only pin pricks, part way through to prevent moulding problems.  The clarity of the pictures makes it difficult to assess some other points raised in the forum and enlarging the views has not made much difference.  It looks as though this will be the first runner from the DJ stables so the standard set for this will be what future models will be judged by,.       Regards all  adrianbs

• RMweb Gold

Hi all      Kernow have had my cash for a long time now, originally for the 7mm Well tank but transferred, hopefully, for a Maunsell liveried O2 in 4mm .  I have only just seen the prepro pictures and the first thing that hit me was that the cab cutout looked too low at the top. I find this has already been picked up and is certainly something which needs looking into.    It almost gives the impression that there has been some sort of mix up with the high roofed final series and the original series with low roofs even though all the planned models are the early batch. 

It is not clear on the samples what smokebox rivet patterns will be produced as they don't seem to show any rivets at the moment.  I wonder if there is any hope of revisions being made as, from past experience, the model may well now be in it's finalised form. Delivery has clearly slipped somewhat but I certainly hope to have my model by the beginning of 2015.   Another problem which I think will rear its ugly head soon is the spectacle plate ventilator holes, these appear too large and too low and as they are always above the lining they may either finish up below the lining if it is to scale which will look very odd or the lining will be much lower than it should be which will look equally odd.   The latter may be what will be done and may also be why the cab cutout is too low to match the lining. Personally I would have preferred scale size holes in the correct position, even if they were only pin pricks, part way through to prevent moulding problems.  The clarity of the pictures makes it difficult to assess some other points raised in the forum and enlarging the views has not made much difference.  It looks as though this will be the first runner from the DJ stables so the standard set for this will be what future models will be judged by,.       Regards all  adrianbs

Adrian if you are using my pictures of the IoW engines don't forget that they are not official Kernow pics and that they were taken outdoors in very strong sunlight which had an impact on the way certain features - e.g. smokebox rivets - did or did not show up.

While I obviously don't share your expertise on the class, and it's an awful long time since I last saw a real one, I did notice that there are rivets on thh smokebox and those at the leading end of the wrapper do show in one of my pics should you look closely enough.  And these were of course EP models.

• Like 1

Can you clarify - the lining (on BR versions at least) does not go up to the level of the vent holes? Or am I missing/misunderstanding something.

Thanks for confirming my perspective on the cab door cutouts.

Despite the long wait, I'd rather wait more and things be got right...

G-BOAF