Outon Road

RBE

hi cav, just been having a look at the thread on Outon Road, not had chance to do much since model rail live last september but enjoyed looking at what you've been working on, some really awsome detail.... love the burnt out golf.

blackmill's next outing is a stafford in a few 2 weeks might we see you there?

best regards spike :banghead:

Hi Spike, rare chance to see you online :sungum: . Cheers for the comments on Outon Road, much apprieciated, the golf is a nice touch even if I do say so. The OHLE is currently under construction at the detriment of everything else at the mo tbh. Its a major soldering job. Updates will be posted when available. Cant press the shutter as my fingers are too burnt haha.

I don't know if I'll make stafford yet as its the missus' b'day that weekend but I'll certainly pop over for a chat and play if I make it down there.

Cav

well hope to see you there,if you get chance and best regrards to mrs cav, ill try and remember to take my carmera to the club rooms on tuesday and take some blackmill update picys,

were working on a few little "upgrade" projects on operational stuff and senics, so i'll try and gets some picys up loaded.....

regards spike..

I popped in to Cav's home yesterday to pick up a repainted model. He showed me the OHLE he is building at the moment.

All I can say is that he has the patience of a saint. Over 120 solder joints per gantry!

The end result is simply the best, closest to scale OHLE I have ever seen. The steel guitar wire used for the wiring is so fine that it is almost invisible. It makes the Dapol plastic masts look like bloated, overscale trainset accessories by comparison.

Thanks Mate, the soldering is major. Its actually over 160 joints per portal but only one more to nake so thats a bonus. Will have the wires to do then of course.

I also have a pic of your repaint if you dont mind me posting it. A novel visitor to Outon Road if I do say so.

Cav

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update also. Ballast now down and glued. Still needs weathering and weeds etc adding but a layout always seems nearer completion when there is no more bare board. More updates as I go.

Cav

post-6894-0-70092000-1328618833_thumb.jpg

Hi,

That's fantastic, it so so much atmosphere already without any trains! I like the contrast between the new ballast on the mainline and the secoundary lines, it's something you don't see modelled that often!

Keep up the good work!

Simon

Mate that looks superb, some great scenic work there and i really like the warehouse area, some nice details in the tarmac patches and the curbing.

What did you use for the grass bank??

cant wait for Mansfield now

Haha love that sign mate, looks like iv closed shop for the day though, must have gone trackside to watch 210 slide by, not one to be missed.

looks really good through the yard shot too.

great work

Mate that looks superb, some great scenic work there and i really like the warehouse area, some nice details in the tarmac patches and the curbing.

What did you use for the grass bank??

The grass bank was done using a dark brown paint coat as a base with cheap hanging basket liner as a base coat of grass which is also the way the rest of the layout was done. It works best if you can get the cheap fluffy type rather than the wirery long haired sort. I get mine from my local Wilko's but I'm not sure how far their stores spread. Costs about £1.50 for a bit big enough to do three of these layouts. Anyway thats stuck on with PVA by ripping little bits out with your fingers and sticking them on. once dry the grass proper is then put on using long (6mm) static grass. First spray a portion of the area using spray mount adhesive and let it dry to develop its sticking power then using the yellow straw colour take a pinch of the fibres from the bag and kinda stub the grass onto the glue, dont hold too firm and the grass stays behind stood up. Once you have added the straw colour where you want it switch to a greener shade, wack some more glue on and off you go again. you can do this over again until you are happy but I've been pretty happy first go. Once all on give it a ridiculous coating of cheapo hairspray and let dry overnight, next day you will have lush, fixed fast, static grass for £3.50 a bag. I used about half a bag of green and a quarter straw on this board. Not bad me thinks. Once all dry you can add foliage etc to break up the vast expanses of grass.

Haha love that sign mate, looks like iv closed shop for the day though, must have gone trackside to watch 210 slide by, not one to be missed.

looks really good through the yard shot too.

great work

Yeah must be sunday mate haha, 210 is worth shutting up for though! Was going to do the garage open with a car getting put through its paces but I simply wont have time before mansfield to get it done. Might be able to add one later if the building isn't too glued!!

Cav

next day lush fixed fast static grass for £3.50 a bag. I used about half a bag of green and a quarter straw on this board. Not bad me thinks.

Cav, that description is really useful; I will raid our wilkos although I've only seen the very green wiry stuff there before... but spring's on the way! Followed most of what you said but this last bit lost me "lush fixed"???? Could you elaborate please.

Thanks... Jon

Cheers Cav, reading it correctly now. Interesting that you just stick the grass down rather than using an applicator... superb effect though! Time to think what I should be doing!

Thanks.... Jon

Archived