DEEPING LANE DEPOT

mason

Thanks Richard, i will post something up soon on the new project, just want to get some concrete bits to show;

Thanks Andy, do you mean pics or operating because believe me there is no skill involved in either ahhahaha

Nice pics there chap. Quick question whose oil barrels and bulk bags are those by the depot? Look pretty smart.

Cav

Hi Buddy, cheers, i like taking pics of the layout, its pretty photo genic :)

The barrels and bulk bags, i beleive came from unit models, the bulk bags definatly are as i only got them a few weeks ago, u can get them pre painted or not.

The barrels maybe from a chap on ebay called 2ktechnologies, the ones iv had before from him come in a pack of about 15, but the come in a fixed line of 5, iv found if you chop a few off it leaves a browny black mark which looks just like rust, if you run a little sand paper across the rims and lids it gives a great effect as you can see in the pick, no painting needed.

37709 look excellent, what method did you use to weather it?

Looks like the glazing isn't quite in properly but otherwise the loco looks top!

Thanks Matt

The method i used on 37709 ( which Cav hates :) ) is to mix a batch of railmatch frame dirt and roof dirt, a touch of matt black and give the frames an airbrush over, i then use the same mix but with a little more roof dirt and spray the majority of the body and front ends and roof. once this is fully dry i use a cotton bud and white spirit and take almost all of it off leaving it in the recesses, crevises and other areas prone to dirt build up. once thats all dried off i use powders to smooth out the edges and take the sharpness away from the paint and pick out oily patches etc.

I have used this on most of my stock except the ones Cav has superbly done.

it seems to give good results, although sometimes i do go back and take a little more off depending on proto pics etc.

Its not everyones cup of tea of a process, but iv found it works for me. what process do you use, really like the effects you have achieved on your building frontage.

Thanks for the shout on the glazing, didnt even notice that, a little job to be done, although i will be redoing the glazing at some point.

Cheers

Haha I dont like it as the main method of weathering. I feel its too harsh. Your underframes are good but the cotton bud thing (which I do do when I weather) needs to be subtle in order to leave dirt in crevaces and to give a minor streaked effect to bodysides. I dont really go for the caked on thing. Take a look at the weathering on my 37707 to see what I mean.

Cav

post-6894-0-94871200-1328620281.jpg

Edited by RBE
  • Like 2

Thanks Stephen, i think its really interesting the different techniques people use and the results they get, some things work for some and some dont, its the beauty of this hobby i find.

Cheers Cav, god i love that 37, makes me want to get back and do mine again :(

I would Matt, but use an old wagon or a beat up old loco first just in case it isnt to your liking, if done on a newer loco it should come off easily, but its never worth the risk in my opinion, always best to trial it.

Let me know how you get on

• 2 weeks later...

Well not much of an update really but just a list of things that I need to tidy up before Mansfield next weekend.

The main focus is going to be on checking I have all the stock to a good level and there are no bits hanging off or details missing, also a trip to trains4u to get a couple of chips to go in a few pending new purchases.

I still have to make the shelf for the dynamis box in an effort to stop the signal droppingid session.

I'm looking at replacing the system over the following weeks after Mansfield.

Then it's just a matter of a layout clean, hire the van and away we go... Can't wait

Cheers

• Like 1

Thanks to be honest I love doin the Mansfield and I'll be next to my good friend Cav with outon road which will be very good fun, will you be visiting the show??

Hi Neil, Yes looking forward to seeing you and Cav and checking out both of your weathering techneiques, as for loosing your signal with the Dynamics, well thats why I only kept mine A WEEK :nono: and switched back to the Gaugemaster Prodigy. See you mate. Andy.