Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Dapol 'Western'

Andy Y

I was perusing 'Looking Back at the Westerns' and found them, i havnt checked any more books but its interesting that they are like it though.

cheers

Dave

Found one in A.Wyn Hobson's 'Last Years Of The Westerns' showing 1013 coming out of the fog at Droitwich on 'The Cornishman' tour 13/11/76 with the white marker lit up on the right hand side. Some Drivers used them and some didn't! Another little front end quirk on certain jobs was that Cornish crews tended to be a bit lazy in putting up the correct headcode, resulting in the Down Rivo running round as 6B59 or the Up Milk running as 1A45 etc!

As for the red light on the secondman's side of the cab front - there are several shots online showing Wizzos on the blocks at Padd with them lit up, ready to drop down to Old Oak after bring one up from the Sou' West.

Edited by Rugd1022

Just been on to my guvnor Steve Wainright who's in the Diesel Traction Group and heavily involved with D1015 - I asked him about the switches for the white / red lights and got the following reply which perhaps only sheds a little bit of light (pun unintended) on the matter...

''One switch for both tail lamps and a seperate switch for the white markers and another for the headlight, all modifications from the original arrangements of course''.

D1015's 'mainline preservation' headlamp aside, I think from this we can deduce that originally there were just two switches - one for the white light and one for the red. Whether or not it was possible to have both lit at the same time I've yet to discover! Steve refers to two tail lamps on D1015 so it must a modern requirement for it to have two lit up when running light engine these days.

A bit confusing, but more anon, hopefully!

Superb shot of Western Prince at Truro here with it's white marker light on (scroll down a bit).... I have a feeling this could be Prince's very last passenger working on BR, five days later the 'Western Tribute' tour ran and that was it...

http://www.cornwallrailwaysociety.org.uk/cornwall-railway-gallery---2-main-line-scorrier-to-plymouth.html

(It's well worth coming back to this site as it's updated and full of gorgeous West Country gems!)

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 3

rugd yes if you find them let us know.

my 1st sighting was 1030 western musketeer back in october 73 believe it or not came in light engine from st johns into bedford midland on a satuaday then left towards luton possibly to pick up empty stone wagons from leagrave.

on stone workings they use to run round at midland and do the same and go down to leagrave having come up from bletchley.seen a few pics at leagrave/luton and even kempston but alas none at bedford..

regards.

richard.

Edited by D1030western musketeer
  • Like 1

Guest jim s-w
Oh that does look the dogs dangly bits. Superb, I can't wait for my Maroon one to come...

What does? The box? (i assume thats what you mean as you cant really see the model.

Cheers

Jim

Guest jim s-w

Its far from the birth Andy - its been the norm for months - the class 85 thread and discussion on the 350 have both been allowed to go down that route as well as some of the recent steam locos.   Of course nothing concrete to back any of these 'poor sales' discussions up.

Edited by jim s-w
  • Like 1

No need to apologise Mike, that's rather nice..!

I think the '2C24' headcode on Harrier would have been an Exeter - Paignton job or some such, probably a (booked) fill in turn between the longer mainline jobs. Interesting that there's a Brush Type 4 lurking behind the 22, they were still fairly new to the area then and the Hydraulics had had a very firm grip on pretty much everything for the previous five or six years once steam had been banished west of Newton Abbot.

Looking at the pic again as I type this, it reeks to me of 'modern image'... B)

• Like 3