Eastwood Town - A tribute to Gordon's modelling.

gordon s

• RMweb Premium

Gordon... JBI -- "just build it"... but if you do need any help let us all know.  It is your railway andI hope it comes to fruition as soon as is practicable.

Baz

• Like 4

All the very best on the future layout building Gordon I think your spot on with what your doing and I can fully understand the reasons behind your decision. It's your layout , money and time that you are investing and what you achieve is all down to your good self. I think that sometimes one has to be a bit 'thick skinned' when posting ones efforts for others to observe and offer advice so that you can keep focused on your goal. Their are some members on here who have been led astray by so called 'experts' on this and other forums and it can cause a lot of heart ache and soul searching ...I think the modern term is 'social media stress' ....all the kids are suffering from it so your not alone.  :jester:

It would be nice if you could post updates of your progress in the future as I for one have gained a lot of inspiration from the thread along the years and I wish you all the very best in the forth coming building process. 

I think thats a bit unfair to " so called experts ", at the end of the day , people contribute their views , often strongly held, its up to you to evaluate what you do with those views, rather then ask people not to offer then up 

• RMweb Gold

This is all a bit weird.

Gordon asked for advice, but felt overwhelmed by it all, and this was getting in the way of modelling, so he will not post anymore questions in this thread, and may freeze it altogether. He is not leaving RMWeb, and has thanked those who did make suggestions for getting involved and trying to help.

That’s it.

Perfectly reasonable, and there is no need for people to assume more than that and jump in with side swipes about unnamed members.

Edit: my interpolation removed at Gordon’s request.

Edited by Regularity

• RMweb Premium
Gordon I do hope you can complete part of your project, perhaps one circuit of the main line, and then take a little time to run some trains. The hobby has so many aspects to it, and maybe with some of the track ticked off you will decide it's time to make a few buildings, or look at that engine which hasn't run for so many years, or whatever. Make sure you enjoy it ... it is not a job with deadlines, or needing regular progress reports (don't look at my own layout thread!), but rather an inventive, creative and constructive pastime ... enjoy.

Best wishes,

- Richard.

• Like 1

I will say that the size of what you are building will cause problems with the mojo that can be lacking at times, and the conversations on here can take away valuable time for what you want to build as well as sometimes give confusing advice.

Myself, I have followed this thread for a long time, and having seen some of the work you do when scenery has been done, I keep following because I unashamedly want to nick some of the ideas and techniques you use.

Go away from this thread, go get some thing running in your own time. Maybe start a new thread once that time comes around. After all, this thread incorporates how many different versions of what you have tried to build?

At the end of all this, just remember it is your layout you are building. How much it matches prototype is upto you. We all have to make compromises do to space/monies/life, and unless it is a exact copy of a real location, it will never be exactly like the real thing.

Just do what you want to, and build the layout you want to. I'll be waiting here for when you do decide to share what you have done.

Looking on in admiration ,

D Smith.

• Like 1

My own feelings on the matter of layout threads is to keep a very tight ship, in fact so tight that I regularly delete my own posts when they become a hickup to the smooth reading of the whole thread. I wanted to moderate my layout thread so that I could remove other members off-topic after a day or so, but this facility is not available to OP's.

As things stand, new members and those who discover a layout thread some months after it has started are faced with a load of pages to wade through. The last thing I expect them to do is to have to wade through a boatload of off-topic waffle.  But as I said, these are simply my own feelings on the matter of layout threads.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

My own feelings on the matter of layout threads is to keep a very tight ship, in fact so tight that I regularly delete my own posts when they become a hickup to the smooth reading of the whole thread. I wanted to moderate my layout thread so that I could remove other members off-topic after a day or so, but this facility is not available to OP's.

This is going 'Off Topic' but that's just exchanged one mess for another.

I know how Gordon Feels as you can be inundated with advice, all is well intentioned but you just can't follow it all or build anything sometimes. For my own I've been updating with stock that's being built but nothing on the layout itself. This I"ll probably do just a few times a year to show progress.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I wanted to moderate my layout thread so that I could remove other members off-topic after a day or so, but this facility is not available to OP's.

Hi Larry,

A forum topic is not "owned" by the person who started it, or anyone. That is the meaning of "forum".

If that's what you want you should start a blog instead, where you can control what it contains and moderate contributions to it. That's what the Blogs section on RMweb is there for: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blogs/

When someone starts a forum topic, that is all they can do -- start it. After that its course is beyond their control and determined by whoever chooses to contribute to it. The advantage of such openness is that the original starter is not obliged to respond to any subsequent contributions if he doesn't wish to. If the subject has wandered away from its starting point there is no reason why he should. Whereas on a blog it would be considered a bit rude not to at least acknowledge contributions from others.

This misunderstanding about the difference between a forum and a blog causes a lot of upset on RMweb.

Martin.

Edited by martin_wynne
  • Like 7

Hello,

It is still sad that Gordon feels the need to stop but hopefully he may reconsider his decision at a later date. The enjoyment we have all had due to his kind willingness to share his progress will be sorely missed. Seeing his progress and achievements with Eastwood Town is an inspiration for us all.I have learned a lot from his shared experiences and am very grateful. Than you Gordon.

trustytrev.:)

Gordon,

I have followed you for some time and really enjoyed the ride but as your moving summation says, in essence, it's all just for fun and if the fun stops so should you.  

It's admirable that you feel an obligation to all those who have taken an interest in ET but you should just have a break from social media, build what pleases you and send RM some holiday photos from time to time.

Best regards

Andrew

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

After all this we expect a fully working layout and you playing off a low single figure, if not scratch.

............and all by Christmas.

Edited by BoD
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I think that if Gordon was a Great Western or BR (W) modeller, I would say "Gone With Regret", but being something of a realist, I'm going to miss his input to His thread. Track building is my favourite part of the hobby and Gordon's input was at times inspirational, with all that flowing S & C, great modelling.

• RMweb Gold

There has been a massive change in my thought process and I now see railway modelling as an art form to be enjoyed rather than an exercise in trying to achieve technical perfection. I looked at various bits of the build so far and ran a few trains and suddenly thought that doesn't look too bad and runs well and felt some pride in what had been done so far.  

I agree entirely, but as all artists will agree, it takes a while to develop the techniques required. In fact, you may have tapped into a better metaphor than you realise!

In fact, many artists return to the same subject time and time again, scrapping earlier efforts (either completed, or part completed) because what appears on canvas or in clay/wood/metal/stone/whatever isn’t what they have in their mind’s eye.

In this respect, you should take comfort from the blind alleys and false starts: like any great artist, they are but learning points on the path to ultimate success.

And make no mistake, whether we build an individual item of rolling stock, a small diorama, or a large layout, we are all creating a work of art which says to the the world, “This is what railways mean to me.”

• Like 1

Glad to see you in good spirits Gordon.

Go enjoy yourself - both on the golf course, and in the railway room - spend plenty of time with your family (I'm sure you will) - and we will look forward to your communiques, no matter how brief or infrequent.

Shall we say Till next time, then?

Cheers

Scott

• Like 3