The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Ok, well how about beautiful cars?

Sailor Charon

Americans can usually be relied on to design cars that only appeal to other Americans. Occasionally they come out with a real jem though. Saleen S7. Among the more mundane the Citroen Traction Avant and the DS. Maybe not beautiful, but certainly elegant, the BMW 5 series E28, after this I think they lost their way with design. And of course this list cannot go without my favourite and my car

myturbo.jpg

With another lovely car just beyond, a 900 classic.

Can't argue with that Julian, there's one on my drive. :D

steve

Rover P5B 3.5litre V8 Coupe

forestryboatetc.%20016.jpg

Brit15

You beat me too it! Utterley gorgeous, in a very manly way.... wish I still had mine, despite it eating money like there was no tomorrow.

I'd add....

Alfa Romeo 2000GTV

Lamborghini Islero

Maserati Bora

Maserati Ghibli / Indy

Ferrari 246 Dino

Ferrari 275GTB

Ferrari 250LM

Bentley S3 Coninental Fyling Spur

Jaguar Mk2

Volvo P1800

Gordon Keeble

Triumph TR4

Citroen SM

Citroen DS

Rover P6

Jensen Interceptor

Alvis TD21

Mercedes Benz 'Pagoda'

Triumph Stag

Porsche 911 (before they got flabby and sprouted wings!)

Facel Vega HK500

I want 'em all! :wub:

• RMweb Gold

Americans can usually be relied on to design cars that only appeal to other Americans. Occasionally they come out with a real jem though. Saleen S7.

Ah, now there Deb might agree with you, actually. She certainly told Steve Saleen himself so a few years back, when I spotted him at scrutineering for the 24 hrs. I think he and she were the only people in the Place des Jacobins wearing Saleen baseball caps! Steve Saleen was perceived by Ford to have done such a good job on the S7 that they recruited him to run their Ford GT project, bringing the iconic '60s GT40 design up to C21 standards.

Interesting you should fancy a Saleen, which is a Ford-powered car, while your Saab is a GM Vectra platform in Scandinavian drag. On the other hand, Volvo (Latin for "I roll") is a Ford Mondeo platform in Scandinavian drag.

New Ford Focus - looks the business for an every day car.

For something exotic a Lambo Murcielago Spider (or Roadster) will do for me.B)

Would still take a new 5 series tourer for family transport too.

• RMweb Gold

Ferrari 330 P4 gets my vote, stunning!...

A very slippery shape, certainly, and a mild improvement on the '66 P3, of course. Pics of them on the Daytona banking in '67 are classics. But those Piero Drogo bodies were a rather abrupt change from the previous few years' designs - the 250P, 275P and then 275/330/365P2 bodies. In this they aped the Porsche transition from the 904GTS to the stark Carrera 6/906.

All that said, I did have a moment of disbelief when a P4 apparently sat waiting to come out of a petrol station in Staplehurst one evening a few years back - but then I remembered there was a firm locally producing replicas!

• RMweb Gold

Ferrari 275 GTS and 246GT Dino both in a nice blue or silver (anything but red!)

Citroen SM and DS

Alfa 2000 GTV, GTV6, SZ/RZ, spider duetto or more recent 159.

Orignal BMW M5

Lancia Stratos

Mark I and Mark II Golf GTi's

Mercedes grosser, 300 SL roadster and 280se cabrio

I'm sure there are others but cant think at the moment.

Tatra T-87, a classic bit of thirties streamlining:

800px-Tatra_87-old.jpg

Photo CC-BY-SA Oliver Kurmis

It also has the distinction of killing so many Nazi officers - who stole them from their rightful owners when they invaded Czechoslovakia, and were unable to cope with the 100mph top speed - that they were banned from driving them.

Paul

The original BMC Mini

Agreed absolutely! Issigonis got it absolutely right. Not only does it look good, but it handles well too.

Mini2.jpg

The big Healey is another beautiful car. Unfortunately, I don't have one of those in my garage :lol:

800px-Austin-Healey_3000_Mk1.jpg

Americans only design cars that Americans like?

Well I'm English and I'll certainly take the Cord 812 (Supercharged).

Best, Pete.

I did say usually.;)

I did say usually.;)

Hey, no offence meant, just an excuse to get the Cord 812 on here..............rolleyes.gif

My second car was a Volvo P1800 (with the original egg-crate grill). Looker but slow, did I say it was slow????????????????????

Best, Pete.

No contest. Deb and I have always agreed that the 1965 LM 24 hrs-winning car, the Ferrari 250LM, is the most satisfying shape we've ever encountered.

On the racing theme, the WM Peugeots of the late '70s and '80s were nice looking cars. Kremer CK5 ? Porsche 917 ? Kremer K917C ? Lola T290 ?

In F1, to me there is no contest, Lotus 79.

• RMweb Gold

I was very lucky to get to 'drive' the dream just once, and not very far, but what a tick in the box for pub top trumps ...

An interesting snap, with three totally different approaches to high-performance in the background, as well. The Miura - made by a chap who also makes tractors - has a trad high-revving Italian V12, the Iso/Bizzarini (not sure which) has a big Chevrolet V8, while the 1950s 300SLR Gullwing has a straight 6 (I think) and is possibly the purest-bred of them all.

I second the P5B, though not sure it is a manly car, as Maggie Thatcher and the Queen had one for years each.

Otherwise Viva HB GT or Firenza.

Or some of the Tatras.

I know I'm odd...

Kelly

Firenza.

Yes, I'll go with that one. Particularly the droop-snoot.

Either that, or the Chevette HS - another car I have always wanted. Although, given only 400 were made it's pretty unlikely to happen!

L-Vauxhall-Chevette-HS.jpg

Those were the days! Dealer Team Vauxhall, Bill Blydenstein, Gerry Marshall and big Vauxhall V8s and slant 4s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFTBgnCanJo

• RMweb Premium

Kelly

Yes, I always thought the HB GT was a very nice looking car, used to walk past one on the way to school every day (early 70s). Nearest I've got to owning one is the Lledo 1.43 model. Not so keen on the Firenze, although the later ones badged Magnum 2300 coupe or whatever did look quite tidy.

The prettiest Vauxhall was the Cavalier Mk1 Sports Hatch (as opposed to coupe) IMHO.

I second the P5B, though not sure it is a manly car, as Maggie Thatcher and the Queen had one for years each.

Or some of the Tatras.

I know I'm odd...

Kelly

Well mine didn't behave in a lady like fashion when it went into tight corners! The Queen's P5B Saloon is on display at BMIHT Gaydon, and the Thatcher / Wilson one is hiding away in their workshop somewhere. The Queen still owns her P5B, as it's on loan to BMIHT ;)

Archived