Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

hope for those of us who struggle with transfers...

• RMweb Gold

spotted this a few weeks back in work, for those of us who have tried to fit waterslide transfers to our models and not quite got them in line, lost one or had to compromise with a different font number there is hope........

18032011345.jpg

anyone else got any other examples?

Is 16500 the one that is formed with vehicles from 2 different units, Jim?

The 158s round here are often formed in 3 car sets, made up of one and a half two car units. They are renumbered in the 15895x series.

However, the units are often swapped around to suit maintenance etc, and when reformed back as two cars, the number is changed back to the original. The stickers don't always match up though, in fact I reckon there are more 158s like this than with the number all in one typeface

post-6899-0-13536600-1303247987_thumb.jpg

cheers

jo

• RMweb Premium

I have seen pictures of 35028 'Clan Line' ex works in late crest BR but before her rebuild where the loco number digits on the second man's cab side are sloping downwards. Me thinks the sign writer at Eastleigh works had just come back from a liquid lunch at the railway club on a Friday afternoon when he painted that one!!

If you don't get it right first time - give it a different number :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

25327 Man Vic 26 March 1983

post-1161-0-58128600-1303252750_thumb.jpg

Possibly after a cab swap at Derby. The partly obscured number is 25307

I saw a few 25s like this in the 1980's.

Guest Max Stafford

Some of the 37/3s as refurbished in the late '80s had some very odd things going on with cabside numbers of varying fonts as I recall!

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

the 25 is excellent, I wonder if there were any real loco's that carried different number on one side to t'other :lol:

I've got alot of pics of mish-mashes and stuff concerning going from the Pre-Tops to Tops era and the varying liveries as this was a particular interest of mine. Most are book pics or under some other from of copyright unfortunately, there are loco's which carried both pre-tops and tops numbers at same time.

I dont think there's anything quite as scruffy as those units tho' well done!

• RMweb Gold

I have a pic in a book of a Rock Island boxcar, which, as the caption suggests, was obviously lettered in the early morn before the coffee kicked in. Accordingly it proclaims in large letters its owner to be "ROCK ISALND". Exhibition layouts lacking sparkle might try this technique to keep the punters interested - nit-pickers would adore it!

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

two examples i can readily think of:

class 76s in transition from old-style to corporate style numbers (with or without the 'E') - photo in 'BR fleet survey 6' of 76 057 - formerly E26057 (old-style numbers), the 'E2' has been painted out and replaced with a 7 in corporate-style.

also, was mentioned on here somewhere, 06008 into the 80s had the zeros old-style and the 6 and 8 in corporate style.

some of those units pictured earlier on have the distinct look of rushing down to poundland for sticky door-numbers when they realise they don't have the right numbers available! :lol:

• RMweb Gold

the 25 is excellent, I wonder if there were any real loco's that carried different number on one side to t'other :lol:

Certainly in the pre-TOPS era it was not unknown for a Southern EMU. This may have been the case for years, but it was brought to a head in the early-70s (i.e. not long before TOPS) when a nightly reconciliation of the entire fleet began to be undertaken. Every berthing point had to give up the numbers of every unit on hand, and each Division collated those before reporting to HQ at Waterloo. Those fleets spread across more than one Division always produced anomalies "You can't have that one" said HQ "the SW have that one at Effingham!" On more than one occasion, some weary shunter had to inspect the units again in the small hours to check his figures and found the unit had different numbers at each end!

I can't find it right now, but I've seen a US example on a Conrail Loco. They're blue and used to have a big white emblem on the side rather like a stylistic golf club on it's side. The 'handle' should be exactly horizontal but in this case it is decidedly a 'Friday-Afternoon-after-a-liquid-lunch' job.

• 2 weeks later...

The fgw 158 is because we don't hve enough of the right numerals... the correct ones are fited at refresh, anything else is ex hst/wessex tht is in the big box of old sickers... I'm sure the same applies elsewhere...

Archived